Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Monday Morning Debrief No. 41 – Where did you get to? What did you ride?
  • Dave
    Free Member

This week it’s all about the trail name.

Monday Morning Debrief 41

Share your’s here…..

wonnyj
    Free Member

Brechfa black and red on Sat morning.

Then Swansea Wheelers Cycle Club annual hill climb challenge yesterday. 2 min of uphill against the clock on the road bikes. Didn’t win but didn’t disgrace myself despite recent diet of curry, chips and beer.

robj20
    Free Member

No riding this weekend, bike is out of commission.
    Did start the conversion to 11 speed though, so got my Hope Pro 2 converted to Evos and fitted the XD freehub, just waiting on the XX1 parts and Hope GXP converter.

martinhutch

Taught my 10-year-old about the benefits of drafting on a 16-mile towpath ride to Saltaire. Little bugger didn’t take his turn on the front at any point though, so I’m planning to start an angry thread about that later.

cynic-al
    Free Member

50 ish miles around Elgin and Aberlour, great weather, company and trails.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Short version:
    Delayed b’day weekend – 15 mates spread over 2 days – Snowdon Say, Antur uplift on Sun!

Detail:

It was my 40th last year, and the wee man arrived into our lives 3 weeks before so my actual b’day was spent grabbing a quick solo ride in the pouring rain, getting sideways down the back of Mam Tor before meeting my Mrs and son for cake in Hope. Pretty good, but the big bash was put on hold due to the wee man, work travel and various reasons.

My awesome Mrs not only encouraged me to have a weekend away before the next birthday rolled round (it’s next Sunday!) but once booked, presented me with a GoPro Hero 3+ to record the action. Stocked!

2 days out, weather window was looking good:

Saturday:

Lights, Camera, Action!

2 1/2 hours later after lots of logistical issues coordinating 11 people from all over England, we were on top of Snowdon!

This was shot at 6pm – an hour later than planned, which was not bad, all issues considered:

Heavy cloud covered the top but we had a few seconds of bright blue sky, above the cloud. Stunning!

Descent down Rangers and Telegraph done just as darkness fell. Mechanicals on the final stretch meant we hit Pete’s Eats at 7:55pm for a refuel.

Mad drive to a camping barn, where I got stunning views of the Milky Way at 2am when taking a break from the snorers!

Sunday morning wake up

Sunday was spent at Antur Stiniog cracking out as many runs as I could. Great day and one of my old team mates was driving uplift, so cool to catch up.

Epic weekend with great mates. Doesn’t get much better than that!

shortcut

Surrey Hills on Saturday so covered some interesting trail names: Foot and Mouth, Barry Knows Best, Worth the Mither, Vauxhall Nova to name a few.

turboferret

No cycling for me this weekend, thus no funky names, but did set a PB at the Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu, India) half marathon with a 1:20:21, several minutes faster than previous, so overall pretty pleased 🙂

Cheers, Rich

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Afan (Whites) and Cwmcarn (Twrch) on Saturday and Sunday with a couple of mates who haven’t done much in the way of cycling.

Despite trying, I still can’t clear the tabletops at the beginning of energy or the step up doubles on the black section at the top of Twrch.

Not sure whether i need more speed or better technique. One thing’s for sure, bigger balls will be required in either case.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Decided to avoid the club hill climb – 8 minutes of pain on the road bike – and instead had a fantastic 3 hours of cheeky, techy, swoopy, rocky riding on trails that cannot be named 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Road ride to Bakewell to meet up with old school mates. Instantly dropped back into 20 year old banter, assisted by a 10 hour drinking and eating session. amazingly, no hangover to affect the beautiful ride back.

As for trail names, locally we’ve got Wikki, the Tunnel, Kate Moss, The off-camber (predictably dull name for an awesome trail), the Quarry,
    Farmways, the Wall, the hole-in-the-wall to name a few.

zilog6128

Just a fairly gentle ride yesterday as we were travelling between local breweries who were having open days so lots of beer, music & morris dancing! Using the Crab & Winkle trail which follows the old route of the world’s first regular passenger railway.

zilog6128

ooops double post

clubber
    Free Member

Just a couple of hours’ ride on my new CX frame to check it’s hanging together at the Nova and Yer Tiz trails in Bristol. Beautiful weather – especially for October.

brakes
    Free Member

trail name (well, ride name) – Seasons of Mists
    a hilly 100km road audax from Hebden Bridge.
    racing the climbs and chilling on the downs (there wasn’t much flat!).
    good company, good grub, good weather… good beer to finish.

stevied
    Free Member

Did FoD yesterday. Freeminers, twice round Verderers and introduced my mates to the joys of DH on Sheepskull. Fantastic riding, great weather only blip was one of our group stuffed the 1st jump on Freeminers and knackered his shoulder..

tomhoward

Super Secret hill climb event on a closed road 😀 was awesome, but if I told you any more I’d have to kill you.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

No riding this weekend.
    Sat – cleaning the house followed by a 5-0 victory in the opening league hockey match of the season. 😀
    Sun – cleaning the rest of the house. It now sparkles.

Sneaky ride planned for tonight.

philfive
    Free Member

I named a local trail, I picked “Accy Girl” because it goes down well 😀

weeksy

FoD on Saturday, mostly riding the Verderers, Sunday was out on the R1 riding at 140mph 🙂

mrphil
    Free Member

Short XC ride Saturday morning.

Had to build a new rear wheel for the Alpine ready for Sundays trip to Antur Stiniog.

Got to Stiniog for 10.15, had a great time. Took the wrong turn and done a double black run which was slightly steep at points.

Gravity-slayer, Wayne has uploaded alot of the days photos now.

Muke
    Free Member

Crunchy nut …Hampshire byways with the sound of Beech nuts and Acorns under the tyres.

chipps

Saturday, I joined what seemed to be most of the Singletrack office on a ride round Hebden Bridge. It was great to get out on the bike in some decent weather and remind myself how great our out-the-door riding is – even if I wasn’t particularly much of a trail god. That’s not the point, though, is it?

Sunday and I was off to the far side of Leeds for the next round of the Yorkshire Points Series Cyclocross Races. Riding the same Pivot Vault I’d done the Three Peaks on, I just took the dropper post off (far too many purists around to be safe with that one…) and let about 30psi out of the tyres. The course was fast and fun. Half grassy fields and half dark singletrack, just on the right side of greasy. I didn’t bother the top half of the field, though I rarely do, but it was another great leg stretcher in some balmy autumn weather. I reckon we’re nearly ready for winter now. Not quite. But nearly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Trail Name: Hurtmore Woods.
    Bike: Nope, Trail running.
    Alone: Nope, with Mates.
    Have Fun: Yup until I fell in some thorns.
    Did I PB, Nope, first time there.
    Will I go back: Yup, but take my CX bike.
    Did I drink too much in the evening: Yup which meant Sunday was a little late starting.
    Shopping with the MrsB: Yup, spent far too much on enjoying buying clothes and chilling in the fabulous sunshine.

slider888
    Free Member

gunnerside gill sat.clarty as hell and loved it.strava informed me we did Kitch’s broken chain and electric gate.also found out that tryin t keep up with an orange five is hard work on a hard tail

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

longish ride round the local loop + a few extra bits with the normal suspects but was riding my new 29er(Trek fuel ex6)for the first time so good weekend in all and riding tonite as well 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

no cycling this weekend

built a shed

next weekend the hills of pitlochry and the moulin moors with local guidage 😀 + beer and bbq

grum
    Free Member

Was BBQing all day Saturday for the missus’ birthday then managed to drag myself out for a couple of quick hungover descents on Sunday (Blue Pig & Pecket Well). Having lived somewhere with no local riding for many years I have to say I am loving being able to pop out for 40 minutes and ride a couple of nice technical descents.

Glorious day yesterday too.

stevego
    Free Member

Road riding till the broken thumb heals and I can take off the splint. 140k trip into the hills north of Melbourne (Warrandyte, Kinglake, Flowerdale and Glenbourne). Beautiful scenery and I hadn’t ridden out that way much (although not as much fun as the mtb trails up that way)

dawson

Saturday – Pootle with the kids

Sunday – 32 miles of woodsy singletrack, Clumber and Sherwood area.

Bike: 26″ singlespeed with v-brakes.

Haze

Time of year when my asthma starts to play up, given the cold misty start opted for a quick hour on the road bike Sunday morning before taking the SS over to watch the local CX.

I now want a cross bike.

kayak23

A bit of Off-piste Cannock Saturday. Got a bit lost having only been shown the good stuff once so had to give up after a while.

Sunday, we did near 30 miles based from Whichford woods in Gloucestershire. Weather… WTF?! Awesome day, felt like Summer… 🙂

maxtorque

After a busy biking summer, other projects seem to have got in the way recently, and this w/e was my first ride for 6wks!

Nothing even remotely tricky, just local flat land bridleways etc, including “Flytipper” and “There be pikeys”, still was a beautiful late autumn sunny day down by the river:

(never knowingly underbiked)

Need to get fit again for the Snowdon run though……..

benjii19
    Free Member

A bimble down the steel city DH and Pub run @ Grenoside. Immense fun on a lovely sunday morning.

legolam
    Free Member

Saturday – chilled day out in Hamsterley with “the girls” where Ahsat of this parish attempted to teach me how to go downhill with a bit less fear and a bit more finesse. All was going well until she picked up a bit too much speed going down “Accelerator” (appropriately enough) and became intimately acquainted with a tree.

Sunday – attempted to put my new found skills to use in Chopwell on such trails as “Rez’s squirrel shock” (would love to know the story behind that!), “Bananarama”, “Boneshaker”, “Roots” and “How flow can you go”.

No pics, was too busy having fun 🙂

paul4stones

ir_bandito – Member
    Road ride to Bakewell

From Hexham? Good going. That LEL must have changed your perspective of distance 🙂

jekkyl

my mate came over and we went out for a ride after dark on Saturday night, starting through Hanchurch forest near Stoke. Stopped for a minute at the top and got passed by 2 guys on Quad bikes razzing it through the forest, VERY LOUD in the darkness, we cacked ourselves as they came up behind us in the dark. Then a little later on we got passed coming the other way by a guy on a dog sled on wheels getting pulled by 3 dogs, excellent, the things you see!

mogrim

Tried a local trail known as the “Route into Mordor”, apparently named after the sudden change from bright Spanish sun to dark, tree lined tunnels – quite surprising in this area, where most of the vegetation is either pine or low bushes.

It runs through a gorge cut the River Aulencia, starting at a small dam at the top, dropping 250m in height as it runs mainly downhill towards the local town of Villanueva. It was a very pretty trail, but not one I’ll be repeating soon on the bike: there were just too many points that were impassable on a bike. Still, it was worth checking out so I don’t feel too bothered.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

5mile run(and lots of walking) on Friday
    50 miles solo on Saturday
    50 miles club run on Sunday (bailed out after the Cafe stop as my legs weren’t having any of it and took the short route home).

hairyscary

Torridon.

Amazing as ever and enhanced by the Torridon Inn having a beer festival. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Monday Morning Debrief No. 41 – Where did you get to? What did you ride?’ is closed to new replies.