Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Monarch RC3 – more bands, more sag?
  • mattherby
    Free Member

My shock felt a little wooden the other day so I’ve experimented with adding more bands. (Also fitted new Hope DH wheels with a tube so this may have had an effect on how the bike felt as the new wheels are strong than the previous and I was now running a tube until new tyres arrive)

Bike is a 2016 Reign for reference.

Around a year ago I fitted 3 bands as I was smashing through the travel. This helped massively but I still managed to knock the O ring off the shock body on a few occasions still. This was at 30% sag.

So I added 2 more bands, 5 in total now, due to the change do I run more sag, perhaps 35% and theoretically I’ll have more end ramp up so would bottom out or shall I continue with 30%?

What’s your experience when doing similar?

samuelr
    Free Member

I would continue at 30%.

geex
    Free Member

Personally. I’d remove bands and try running somewhere in the 25-27% sag range (at the shock).Reigns are already fairly progressive and your shock sag markings don’t actually relate directly to rear wheel travel sag percentages.

Folk are obsessed with adding volume reducers these days. Many believing the more they run the more gnar they are. Often adding volume reducers can actually worsen suspension performance.

Disclaimer: I’m not you and have no idea your build/weight, riding style, how or where you ride or what you actually want from your suspension set-up.

poah
    Free Member

how is the majority of the travel?  I wouldn’t worry about bottoming out every so often.

mattherby
    Free Member

“Disclaimer: I’m not you and have no idea your build/weight, riding style, how or where you ride or what you actually want from your suspension set-up”

Build, more shoulders than waist, weight around 80kg. Ride local South Wales natural and trail centre with the annual alps trip and more than a few uplift days through the year. I’d like it to be more sensitive off the top and not to bottom out with enough force to knock the O ring clean off the shock body.

Travel generally feels ok to be fair, thought I’d try 5 bands to see how it feels. Haven’t ridden it yet but I’m out on Monday. I’ve also quickened up the rebound by a few clicks as I may have been running it a little too slow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Monarch RC3 – more bands, more sag?’ is closed to new replies.