Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Molten Speed Wax, winter use on MTB – OK with mud? and how to heat it?
  • mudfish

Hi all,
    been reading about that super Molten Speed Wax and I am up for it if it’s worthwhile.
    I rotate 3 chains so they wear evenly through the Summer – about 20 hours riding between changes.I’ve been just re-lubing not cleaning apart from soap and water as the UFO drip keeps very clean.

But the roadies here https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-chain-lube-that-saves-you-money/ want you to degrease the chain every ride, I’m not doing that. That would be mad with wax – wouldn’t it?

I’ve been using CeramicSpeed UFO drip sinc ea drivetrain upd grade in May (XXI cassette and chain) all, of which is rather costly, but seems amazing (stays very clean), I (drip) lube every 6 hours riding or so – however I’m not sure how well that lube would do through the Winter, it might wash off with plenty mud on it – Silca MFS, Smoove or Squirt tempt.

Bit then there’s the holy grail – Molten Speed wax? I guess it’s the best wax – but how does that stuff fare in muddy conditions on a mountain bike?

Also what heater-pot thingie do I need if I go to wax guys, I’d prefer not to do it on the gas hob for fear of fire.

thanks lots
    neil

tjagain

Check a zillion putoline threads on here. I don’t know the stuff you mention but it must be similar. with the putoline you just chuck the chain in the tin as it came off the bike

Mine just goes on the hob. some folk use a tiny deep fat fryer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Putoline in a mini deep fat fryer.

I generally get 2-3 months of twice weekly muddy winter rides between applications. And top up with chainsaw oil if it does dissapear in an emergency.

I recently started cleaning it before waxing by stirring the chain in an old paint tin of petrol as i think my last tin of putoline got contaminated with oil as it was more and more the consistency of lard rather than wax (or was breaking down with heat, im not bothering to melt it higher than 130C either as thr viscocitybdoesnt drop noticeably either).

Having said that, the replacement tin isnt as hard as i remember so maybe its just rose tinted glasses.

mudfish

Thx
    So it does Ok in mud. Great.
    Would last 2-3 month of 2 rides a week.
    Any thought On the XL ay sticky mud of the South Downs and occasional sandy North Downs slop?
    Is it obvious when it needs retreating? Keeps clean in use generally?
    The UFO is great for cleanliness I must say. Bloody expensive tho.

Is Putoline better than Molten Speed? Anyone?

mudfish

Thx
    Good advice
    So it does Ok in mud. Great.
    Would last 2-3 months of 2 rides a week I guess. Nice
    Any thoughts on the clay / chalk sticky mud of the South Downs and occasional sandy North Downs slop?

tjagain

Not having used molten speed I cannot say. One thing to look at is cost. Putoline is around £30 a kiulo and that kilo will last you years

I can only describe what the putoline is like for me but while most people find similar to me scienceofficer and others did not.

If you wipe the excess off it stays clean ish ie no build up of gunk – but the actual stuff itself is filthy and stains clothes badly

In sand its fine, clay I do not know. peat strips it out of the chain

Its pretty obvious when it needs redoing – run your finger along the chain – get two black lines on your finger there is still some in the rollers where it is needed. I find sometimes the outside of the chain gets dry and even rusts while there is still lube in the rollers – a wipe with a oily rag prevents this.

the other way of telling is twisting the chain – you can feel when the lube is gone but IME it takes hundreds to thousands of miles depending on condition.

I am assuming the molten speed wax is similar but putoline is made for motocross bikes which have a very hard life.

momo

I’m using MSW across 3 bikes in the Momo household, bought a 1lb bag, swisher and a 1.5L slow cooker (about £13 from Argos) earlier in the year, give new/used chain a very thorough degrease including multiple washes in white spirit and then it goes into the slow cooker on high for an hour, have a nail in the rafter in the workshop to hang the chain over the slow cooker to drip once it comes out.

Road bike gets re-waxed every 300km or before a big day out or if it gets noisy. MTB hasn’t needed to be redone yet, just wipe the chain dry with a dry rag if it gets wet. I’ve done some very wet and grotty rides on both bikes with no issues other than a little surface rust the one time I didn’t dry the chain off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any thoughts on the clay / chalk sticky mud of the South Downs

For Chilterns chalk/clay it’s fine.

and occasional sandy North Downs slop?

Likewise.

The chain gets some surface rust once it’s worn/flaked off the outside, takes another ride or two before it starts to squeak which means the wax isn’t inside the rollers anymore.

It’s basically fine most of the time, it will wash off in really bad conditions, but we’re talking race day, forced to ride it through hub deep slop for lap after lap sort of conditions, not normal riding. I’ve done 12h days in the rain with it and it’s been fine at the end.

I’d say it lasts 2-3 months, but really it could be 500 miles of road riding before it squeaks, or one truly horrible midwinter sloppy ride will strip it off (but it it lasts 30 miles then it’s fair to say anything applied wet would have lasted 3, or probably less).

Putoline turns everything black as it coats it with a layer of wax/graphite, but it’s a dry coating, not gunky or dirt unless you leave masses of excess on and it accumulates on the jockey wheels (but even then it’s just a solid lump of wax you can pick off with a screwdriver).

I’d be surprised if there’s an appreciable difference, both are paraffin waxes with graphite and disulphide based friction reducing additives.

Putoline works really well for rotating chains as it takes the same time to oil one as it does two or three. Just keep an eye that one hasn’t been trashed on a really horrible ride! Measure the wear after the ride as I’m sure the wax probably packs out the rollers disguising any wear.

mudfish

A cornucopia of info thanks guys. My confidence level is rising.
    I can see that Molten Speed Wax and Putoline seem pretty similar. With MSW designed for mountainbiker and seems to be similar price.

Don’t MX bikes use O ring chains?can wax get inside the rollers on those I wonder. They certainly don’t have the cross chaining of a 1×11 which is WAY off ideal in engineering terms. You’d think that might squeeze the wax out. Plainly not though as you guys are seeing good life.

This guy https://youtu.be/fBKOW43p7ME
    “Ozcycle” has an unique idea about letting the slow cooker cool a bit (50C) after coating for 20 min, then plunging warm chain into cold water. He thinks a hot chain can let the wax run out whilst it’s dripping dry. Makes sense, but as MoltenSpeed themselves don’t mention it I guess it’s an unnecessary step?

MSW do use a nice “jiggler” one could make from a coat hanger to thread the chain on so it hangs in 5-6 loops. Good for thorough agitation of every link in the slow cooker I imagine.

There seems to be almost a consensus on cleaning a new chain in 2 stages. MSW want you to use “mineral” sprits (= white spirit) then denatured alcohol (maybe that’s isopropyl?). I think the alcohol gets rid of the previous solvent.

Ozcycle favour cleaning with petrol then using a degreaser. I’ll not be using petrol though! Too flammable / risky.

Morgan blue was recommended by one guy as a one shot way to clean a new chain. Hmm
    I wonder

Then, day to day. Keeping it clean on the outside in Winter seems sensible. Soap and water and a bit of hosepipe action should suffice I hope. Maybe a wipe with a degreaser rag if it gets black.

Obvs it’s not ideal to put a mucky chain back in the wax so it’ll need a decent clean when taking off to Re-wax. But does it need a full back to square one 2 stage clean / degrease?

So much to learn. Glad this is the place to get good advice.

Thanks guys
    Neil

mudfish

The Molten Speed Wax swisher. Holds the quicklinks too of course

MSW swisher

The swisher

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Molten Speed Wax, winter use on MTB – OK with mud? and how to heat it?’ is closed to new replies.