• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moffat road loop
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Plotting a road ride from Moffat in the next couple of weeks and looking at Moffat – Devils Beeftub -Talla Reservoir – St Mary’s Loch – back south on the B709 through Ettrick to Eskdalemuir then B723 to Boreland before picking up minor roads back to Moffat. I’ve ridden much of the first half but what are the B709, B723 and the minor roads back to Moffat like? Looks like a couple of climbs going by the maps. Anyone ridden the unclassified roads from Boreland back to Moffat?

speedstar

This route is one of my favourites! Just be warned there is not much in the way of shops or ready supplies enroute.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surely any climbs can’t be much after the beeftub .

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers speedstar – it’s 72 miles so 4 hours or thereabouts. I can usually get two bottles to last that duration with some food on the go.

I’ve done the beeftub before Al – seemed pretty steady, compared to Talla anyway which has some proper 25% segments.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Aye beeftub is easy. Long but easy.

Talla is grim but great.

Take note on shops etc above there is nothing.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

What are the minor roads around Moffat like?

Potholed tae f*** usually!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Noted – should be quiet enough to enable swervage round them.

adcock9jn

Great road cycling area, there is a community cafe at Eskdalemuir, not sure of its opening times and much nicer than he Sammy Ling monestry cafe.

Eskdalemuir Valley Road really smooth, the others are not terrible but have lots of chippings in places.Lots of pot hole work gas been done in last 6 months.

Amazing scenary. I ride these roads regularly all year round.

Usually refill my bottles of the top of Talla climb.at the highest point in the stream.

The valley passing the Grey Mares Tail Waterfall also has some amazing sections of scenery.

Spoilt for choice.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

All good – cheers. Does Boreland have a shop for an emergency coke if required?

kcr
    Free Member

The roads are quite up and down, with one or two stiff wee climbs (including the road from Boreland back to Moffat). A lot of minor roads in the SW are in a very poor state these days, so watch out for potholes. I’m not sure if there’s a shop in Boreland, I’d get something in Eskdalemuir if you’re hungry. There’s a good cafe there, and Samye Ling has a tearoom.

nbt

Bumping this – we’re in the early stages of planning this year’s campsite based road cycling trip and Moffat has been mooted as a possible venue

Previously, we’ve visited Llandovery and Dumfries (actually Barnsoul Park at Shawhead). In both those locations, we were able to find enough variety to allow us to plan for a different route each day, based on circular rides of 20 to 40 miles length. We’ll be on tandems so don’t travel massively fast – think perhaps 18kph average

1) is there a good campsite in the area? Doesn’t have to be directly in Moffat but close would be good

2) what routes have you got? Very much prefer not to be on big fast roads if at all possible.

sandwicheater

Regularly stay with some friends just up the road from Moffat and they over look this place;

https://www.wigwamholidays.com/moffat

Not thought to bring the road bike when we’ve stayed but reckon it’ll come next time.

paton
    Free Member

The wigwam place is on the left at about 9:00 into this police video.

This is part of the aroundthecorner.org.uk series of videos

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/news/bike-crash-hotspots-highlighted-by-police-1-101514

The A708 is popular with people on motorbikes, and caravans and timber lorries and coach tours.

” not to be on big fast roads”
    The A708 is not a big road but…….

kcr
    Free Member

Lots of good cycling around Moffat, but your route choices are slightly more restricted because of its location, if 40 miles is your maximum distance. The town sits at a point where several big river valleys meet, so you’ll tend to have to head out along one of those, and there are fewer options to loop back a different way unless you ride a bit further.
    There’s a huge network of very quiet minor roads centred around Lochmaben, and you can do loops of all distances in almost any direction, NW towards Ae, E through Lockerbie towards Langholm, N to Moffat and S to the Solway coast. Basically, just keep off the main roads and explore; you can’t really go wrong. The town has a wee campsite in the centre. I’ve never camped there, but it seems to have reasonable reviews on the internet.

nbt

thanks KCR. I went away last night and it looks like our campsite options are also limited if we do choose moffat. will check lochmaben cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moffat road loop’ is closed to new replies.