Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Moel famau
  • proofof
    Free Member

Now that Wales is back open am looking to finally ride up Moel Famau.

Any pointers both up and down, Strava segments etc. Am not really into following maps too much so any pleb friendly loops, follow the red sign type routes appreciated 😉

ElShalimo

There’s lots of routes online you just need to decide where to start from and if you want a circular route or an up and back

it’s a bit of a motorway up there so should be straight forward

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Stay off the ‘top path’ (the offas dyke one), it’ll be rammed full of walkers and you’re not strictly meant to ride it.

The bottom car park is an ok place to start, take the fireroad up and go up a segment called ‘vomit hill’, its a grassy climb that sucks the life out of you and your tyres. After that just pick an interesting way down. If you’ve gone to the very top just after climbing vomit hill, then come back down the rocky section that you’ll have had to carry up (seriously impressed if anyone can ride it), thats pretty good but take it easy as i’m not sure what the right of way actually is there. Difficult to explain without a map but you’ll know where i mean.

The trails that are between moel famau peak and moel arthur are generally quieter but get a bit boggy if its wet. Trailforks actually has most of it mapped out and if you want to really go exploring then look at strava heatmaps.

Or just pick a route off http://www.flattyres-mtb.co.uk, loads available with GPX plotting.

In fact i think there’s actually a route on singletracks classic rides if you have the access.

DickBarton

Probably sensible to get acquainted with with map of the route if you haven’t done it before…then you at least have a vague idea of what is around and where you need to go. Maybe not use it whilst out on the ride, but does make sense to have a nosey rather than hoping for detailed info on a web forum…;-)

konagirl
    Free Member

Yes there are lots of tracks and there will be lots of people walking. There is no permissive bridleway all the way to the top, so which ever way you go you are being ‘cheeky’ so please give way to walkers. As well as flattyres, there used to be a Ride the Clwyds website now absorbed into RideNorthWales

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I can see Moel Famau from my bedroom window- looks nice and clear today. If you are planning to go up and down the “tourist route” firstly its not legal and secondly it will be rammed with us locals from England so if you are set on doing it I’d suggest sunrise or sunset. Other than that the flattyres routes will give you a good day out in the Clwydians ( I used to ride a bit with Colin from flattyres back in the day)

proofof
    Free Member

Cheers for this, managed the grassy bit but yeah had to push and carry for that last steep Rocky section.

This was basically following blue initially to the gate, then up and over red.

The only problem was the descent, was a bit wary of any route down given that cycling seems banned everywhere.

I took the only route down that didn’t have a no cycling sign, and not the way I came up. This did feel busy like a main route so probably not the right one, but couldn’t see anything preventing it.

I’ll try going over to Arthur next time, and try and find a better descent 😉

Thanks for the pointers, great views at the summit!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Moel famau’ is closed to new replies.