Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 196 total)
  • Mods:Slow down you move too fast.
  • Cougar

Is that not what I did?

Not to my knowledge. Let me explain.

The Moderators – whom you addressed in the title of the thread – do not have the power to fulfil your request, even if we agreed that it was a good idea, which I for one don’t.

The Technical team – the ones who (unlike the volunteer Moderators) are actually paid by Singletrack to maintain and develop their web sites – do have this ability. You can email them directly at the tech@ address with your “concerns” should you require to be told “no” by the people who would actually be involved in making that decision rather than those who are just providing explanations and opinions.

dbcooper
    Free Member

should you require to be told “no” by the people who would actually be involved in making that decision rather than those who are just providing explanations and opinions.

Jeebus! More contempt. Thanks. Please accept my apologies for asking a question. 😥

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Look dude, the thing is it is necessary for the forum, helps support the quality of the community/posts, and isn’t a more than a minor inconvenience for the few people who encounter it.

Therefore, wholly reasonably, it’s not going anywhere.

C’est la vie.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I didn’t ask for it to be removed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6BJJe9JV_A[/video]

bearnecessities

Don’t want to derail a serious issue, but are embedded YouTube videos coming up as “this plugin not supported” for anyone else today/yesterday?

Drac

Ok lets put it another way.

We have 1000s of members on here who post regular, lots post several times in an hour. Yet you are the first person to express a problem with the anti-spam timer that is on the forum. You post infrequently but expect us to look at changing it for you. You then come up with the classic, “I was going to be a premier member but not now” which we see every now and then from people who either get a warning or get upset as the forum doesn’t go their way.

So unless we start getting a lot of requests from different members to extend the anti-spam time I can’t see the tech guys or the owners changing that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I didn’t ask for it to be removed.

OK – so how’s about you suggest a value you think might work and then send that to the codemonkeys. In my experience you are likely to get either a reply of some sort or maybe, just maybe, your suggestion may get implemented.

Bear in mind that there is a reasonable chance the forum would get broken/spammed if the value was set too low and therefore there’s going to be a very conservative attitude taken to such suggestions.

D0NK

Is that not what I did?

you made the mistake of complaining to the wrong people, unfortunately it got to page two before this was pointed out to you. I know the difference between moderators and tech people but no idea how intuitive that differentiation is, so maybe cougar/drac could have cut you a bit of slack there.

I weas considering paying for premier, not so sure now.

comes across as a petulant cheap shot tho.

Yet you are the first person to express a problem with the anti-spam timer that is on the forum.

he may be the first to report it but certainly not the first to experience it, I would have complained but my apathy got too much for me 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I was going to renew my Premier account but dbcooper has put me off.

STATO
    Free Member

So unless we start getting a lot of requests from different members to extend the anti-spam time I can’t see the tech guys or the owners changing that.

You could have said it was the tech guys he needed to email in the first place?

For what its worth, it annoys me when i spot a error in my post and hit edit, but need to wait a while before i can hit re-submit (by which point someone will no doubt have pointed it out), not annoying enough to start a post about it tho.

Drac

he may be the first to report it but certainly not the first to experience it

Yup I’ve experienced it. I just waited a bit.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

phiiiiil

Don’t want to detail a serious issue, but are embedded YouTube videos coming up as “this plugin not supported” for anyone else today/yesterday?

They have been for a week or so for me… I put it down to some update or other on the android devices I use STW on. No idea if that’s true or not…

Cougar

S/He could have said, “the timer has been proven to be excatly the right time to be fast enough for the user experience but slow enough to prevent the bots, we can’t do anything about it sorry”. IE proving that he had considered it.

No, he couldn’t, because he doesn’t know that (I don’t think). He could have said, “the timer has been set by the site owners and is outside our control.” Anything else beyond that is guesswork.

He doesn’t owe you and your vapourware subscription any “proof,” he’s doing you a favour in replying at all. Of course he considered it, that’s what we do.

We could raise it with the site owners, of course. However I trust that the timing has been set for a good reason, and I believe it works because if it was a real problem then we’d be sat here going “oh god, not this bloody issue again“. Therefore, in my opinion it’s a non-issue and the Tech bods have far more pressing issues to be working on, so I shan’t be bothering them with it.

Should other Moderators disagree – and they might, I only speak for myself – then they may well make a different decision and pass it on. But as I said earlier, if you don’t like that decision, you can ask them directly yourself.

bearnecessities

Android here too. Hmm. Ok, thanks, Phiiil.

molgrips
    Free Member

I post a lot. I often see the ‘too fast’ message. I just wait, it’s only about 30s I have to wait.

Cougar

it annoys me when i spot a error in my post and hit edit, but need to wait a while before i can hit re-submit

Does it actually do that? I can’t immediately see why that would be desired behaviour, that sounds more like a bug to me if so.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m keeping an eye over here for a follow up thread.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh well STATO, it could be worse 😉

wallop

How to make friends and influence people!

bigyinn
    Free Member

The OP needs to cut down on his speed intake.
    The OP also needs to realise that this forum is free and is not just for their benefit.
    Sure its a PITA to be told to slow down, but I understand the reasons why. Why get all het up about it like its a personal vendetta against them?

D0NK

Does it actually do that?

yep 🙂

Cougar

Jeebus! More contempt. Thanks.

That’s not contempt, it’s sarcasm for humorous effect. Trust me, you’d know if it was contempt, I’d probably end up having to ban myself.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t mock premature postjaculation…it affects 11% of all stw non subscribers.

Cougar

yep

Ok, that I am going to query, that sounds odd.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Don’t want to derail a serious issue, but are embedded YouTube videos coming up as “this plugin not supported” for anyone else today/yesterday?

I thought Chrome has dropped support for Flash?

Drac

Hmmm! Not seen it happen with the edit post and I edit a lot due to my shit spelling and grammar.

D0NK

win7/firefox 31.1.1 ESR here (in case it matters)
    Hmm just tried to recreate the problem, loads of quick edits, no slow down message!

dbcooper
    Free Member

TBH you have misunderstood me. I’m not het up about the lag timer issue. I asked a question, a reasonable answer would have sufficed. I’m a bit taken a back by the contemptuous response thats all. For something that seems to be a non issue that there is little time to solve, the mods are happy to put lots of effort in to telling me why I am wrong to ask.

RE the premier issue. I’m a bit new here,only a year or so I think, and I didn’t post that much. I started posting a lot more recently and thought I should give something back. I am a helpful person, many of my posts have been giving information and many asking for help. I always thank those who ahve helped me. Nevertheless I felt that a subscription might not be a bad idea. But if you get treated with contemept you think twice before handing your cash over. Yes it might seem petulant, maybe it is. But would you part with your hard earned cash if someone pissed you off?
    Cougar – as a mod you are pretty rude you should wind it in.

D0NK

test
    nah still fine

STATO
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    Oh well STATO, it could be worse

Don’t know the context of that video still? However, touché on the ‘i’, the result of relying on MS Word too much.

Also, why do smilies not quote?

D0NK

Don’t know the context of that video still?

I think it’s Secretary* (not seen it) and I think there is a man stood behind her in an intimate manner

<edit>*as a quick glance at the title bar confirms 😉

bearnecessities

😀

Just add a space either side of the 😀 or wharreva.

Kryton57

For a new bloke the OP is so STW that I think he deserves a gifted premier sub.

Just out of interest OP, do you usually have pudding after dinner?

STATO
    Free Member

Just add a space either side of the or wharreva.

Meant when you copy the persons text, it doesnt copy smilies, suppose technically that not a quote but copy issue. Can we start (another) thread bemoaning the lack of a proper quote function 😆

stumpy01

I can’t decide if I prefer this thread or the ‘angry bus user’ thread from a few days ago. They are both pretty entertaining!

EDIT – Immediately edited to check if it allowed me – it did. No delay to editing of spelling misteaks, or other updates.

peterfile
    Free Member

If the mods lock this thread, I’m cancelling my premier sub.

No delay to editing of spelling misteaks, or other updates.

😆

Cougar

the mods are happy to put lots of effort in to telling me why I am wrong to ask.

You’re not wrong to ask. You’re wrong to expect volunteers to ask “how high” just because you say “jump.”

Cougar – as a mod you are pretty rude you should wind it in.

Hm. As a User I’m pretty rude, as a Moderator I try very hard not to be.

I don’t recall being rude on this thread other than arguably “get over yourself” which in hindsight was probably excessive. Sorry about that.

bearnecessities

Meant when you copy the persons text, it doesnt copy smilies, suppose technically that not a quote but copy issue. Can we start (another) thread bemoaning the lack of a proper quote function 😆 ?

Fine here. Must be another part of the functionality that’s stripped out for non-premier members.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘Mods:Slow down you move too fast.’ is closed to new replies.