Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Modifying cable guides on a Ti frame
  • scotroutes

My VN Amazon has cable guides on the top tube for running a rear brake cable. I’m going to be fitting hydro brakes so I need to open them out to take the hose. Looks like it’ll be easier to saw the end off the cable guide (and finish with a file) than to drill, given where the cable guides are.

Any particular tool I should be using/advice I should be heeding?

Ta

somafunk

I’ve done similar mods to bikes over the years (as shop mech and for myself) and the easiest way I found was to use a compact head flexi drive for a dremel, similar to this one here, titanium is no more harder to drill than steel if you take your time and use high quality bits

Kahurangi

I did exactly what somafunk suggests – albeit on carbon rather than titanium and with a cheapy demmel copy. No reason why grinding won’t work on Ti, might take longer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jkomo

Scotroutes I’ve got one of those flexi things if you want to borrow I can post up.

dovebiker

I used a cheap Dremel copy from eBay for some mods on my Ti frame – don’t expect the flexy shaft drive thing to last too long, mine gave out after a few hours – the drive cable broke

BadlyWiredDog

My VN Amazon has cable guides on the top tube for running a rear brake cable. I’m going to be fitting hydro brakes so I need to open them out to take the hose. Looks like it’ll be easier to saw the end off the cable guide (and finish with a file) than to drill, given where the cable guides are.

I did pretty much this on my old Setavento frame so I could run full-length gear cable to the rear mech. I just used a Dremel-type tool with a small hardened grinding head attachment and a lot of care then finished it with a small round file. Not difficult at all. I guess a flexible attachment could be a solution if you have clearance issues, but I was okay with that. I wouldn’t be using a saw personally, a small slip could be messy.

tdog
    Free Member

On my Ti frame I had the lbs sell me a cable guide system that opens and closes to hold hydraulic hoses.

Best get phoning your lbs as dunno what they’re called now but do the trick nicely 👍

gecko76
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Modifying cable guides on a Ti frame’ is closed to new replies.