Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Modernised Retro Kona… a bit of help with Colour
  • larrystumbles
    Free Member

drummer … its an attachment for a child seat, called a Weeride. The seat clips onto that bar between the headtube and seatpost. They certainly dont do paint jobs like that anymore and its a crying shame

Ladders
    Free Member

I really want to get a 90’s Kona frame to rebuild the Kilauea I had. What sus forks can you fit though? Do modern ones fit or do you need retro ones?

dukeduvet

Ladders it depend on what year. I think ’97 on 80mm is best but I have some 100m Z1’s on my Kilauea of that year and it rides amazing. Some of the earlier years I think less than 80mm is better. Retrobike has loads of posts on this.

Of course you need a straight steerer and v brake bosses unless you go the disc route. Don’t think any new forks will fit though some Fox F80’s will do the job or early rebas

clubber
    Free Member

My ’95 Kilaeau is best suited to 80mm ones but I’ve used 100 and even 110mm ones just fine – you very quickly get used to the handling as it’s nothing too extreme.

larrystumbles
    Free Member

You’ll need a fork with a 1 inch steerer for the very early ones, unsure what year they moved to 1 1/8th headtubes

nedrapier

Sorry, hadn’t twigged you wanted suss forks. I’ve been thinking recent SIDs spaced to 75 or 80. Should get me close to what I have now with a bit of sag.

Ladders
    Free Member

Thanks. It’s a 93 I’m after I think, cherry red / titanium. Think they’re 1 1/8″ steerer

billytinkle
    Free Member

Mine’s nearly ready! Hoping to get it done for the weekend – just the front brake hose to shorten, the rear dérailleur to adjust and the whole thing needs going over with a torque wrench. Bit excited and everyone loves a pic so…

razorrazoo

Looking a bit under raked on the front there billytinkie 😯

nedrapier

under raked? do you mean too steep?

benpinnick

Go for green, but get it in Candy green – most decent powder coaters should be able to do it for you. Make sure you get a good laquer though otherwise you will ruin it straight away.

Wozza
    Free Member

Too late! That green looks great though… maybe if I get resprayed. If the saddle arrives today i’ll get a pic up.

Nice bike there billy. 🙂

Cheers.

Wozza
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

That’s one of the only retro konas that I like the look of with suspension forks

Generally they only look good with rigid

blakeya
    Free Member

Having just bought a Kona frame to build up over the winter months, can someone tell me will a standar HT2 external Bottom bracket fit? Im planning a modernised Kona build. Even thinking of fitting my 2010 Reba SL’s but unser what to do with the rear brake atm.

JoeG
    Free Member

I like it! 😀

Dropper needs a remote, though. That bike looks too good to be doing a Michael Jackson crotch grab on…

iamroughrider
    Free Member

edit. looks nice as is imo

Wozza
    Free Member

blakeya – Member
    Having just bought a Kona frame to build up over the winter months, can someone tell me will a standar HT2 external Bottom bracket fit? Im planning a modernised Kona build. Even thinking of fitting my 2010 Reba SL’s but unser what to do with the rear brake atm.

Yes. HT2, That’s what I have in mine. For the back XTR V brakes are great, I think I have one in a box somewhere if you want to drop me a line.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Modernised Retro Kona… a bit of help with Colour’ is closed to new replies.