Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Modern man bags
  • Kryton57

A bit fed up of crowding my pockets / my trousers falling down when out with kids. Is it acceptable for a middle aged man to wear one of these small item bags on holiday / during the school holiday season:

Hurry up on on my way past a SportsDirect as I type…. 🙂

martinhutch

Depends how much of an effete metrosexual you want to look. A real man would wear something like this:

nickc

It’s a handbag, as long as you’re cool with that, go for it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just get the wife to put it all in her handbag…..

Cougar

If you’re a middle-aged man, you should no longer care what is “acceptable.” It’s one of the joys of getting older.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If you have to ask…probably not for you. Although it does have a trendy logo as a metaphorical reserve chute if you feel too uncomfortable under the harsh judgemental gaze of style gurus fashion-conscious persons.

Speaking as a utilitarian it looks so low-slung to be a total PITB…*

*Is called ‘Nutsaq’ by Nike?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Either the Kriega Messenger or the Kushitani leg bag.
    Anything else means you’ve caught the Ghey and the only known cure is Cat Aids.

teasel
    Free Member

Poof

footflaps

Handbags are all the rage apparently….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teasel – Member
    Poof

hovers over report button… try a non homophobic insult sweetie

crikey
    Free Member

Use a small rucsac; as well as avoiding the stares of the cavemen, it’s more practical.

Big packet of babywipes, some tissues, treats with lots of E numbers to revive flagging sprogs, etc.

Moses

Buy cargo trousers and a belt. Problems solved: more space in your pockets and your duds won’t fall down.

teasel
    Free Member

hovers over report button… try a non homophobic insult sweetie

Don’t be an arse, Mike.

jam-bo

this.

alpkit gourdon 20. cheap, light, comfortable, waterproof, fits a decent amount in.

jimmy

Nice rucksack, oh Crikey just beat me to it

martinhutch

Don’t be an arse, Mike.

Houns

Those are chav bags

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

Very good, Mr Hutch!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t be an arse, Mike.

No worries, try and bring your vocabulary out of the 70’s

RustySpanner

Hipsters and scallies only round here.

Or think of it like this – would you wear a sarong?
    Very practical, but it’s a bit of an affectation.
    🙂

teasel
    Free Member

try and bring your vocabulary out of the 70’s

Without trying to derail this (cos I know how vain you are) – are you the forum police or something. Give your judgemental crap a rest – it’s boring.

But…I’ll tell you what. If Stan is offended by the comment I’ll report it myself and ask for it to be removed, how’s that?

Kryton57

I can’t use a ruscksack. Surely I’ll just look like the typical Brit Dad on holiday.

Oh wait…

Mike you have to make allowances for Teasal. He knows I’m a metrosexual Londoner as opposed to his Bear Grylls like axe wielding self sufficiency. It must seem very odd to him for someone to carry a pouch devoid of tools. 😀

Stan is not offended, merely amused.

teasel
    Free Member

😀

8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

More choice here than you could imagine. Small Scottish company manufacturing in India (I recall), my man bag of choice

Saramanga

fifeandy
    Free Member

No, sorry, there are no situations where man bags are acceptable.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I go full Dad Bag.

I am proud to display my extreme virility whilst strutting down the street with my many children and my bulging sac swinging as I walk for all the world to see.

I care not a jot.

Cougar

Saramanga

I always wondered what Bond villains did after they retired.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I use a North Face messenger bag for my work bag. I’ve had it for a few years and it’s been tough and reliable. It’s also waterproof(ish) with a couple of internal dividers and a couple of smaller pockets for little things.

[/url]

perchypanther
    Free Member

Saramanga

Do they have an additional 3rd stud that other bags don’t ?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

crikey » Use a small rucsac; as well as avoiding the stares handing over your freedom of choice to the cavemen it’s more practical of a PITA as you have to take it off everytime you need to reach for something. On the plus side a rucksack does lend a manly, intrepid, expedite air as the lucky wearer adventures through merciless railway carriages (‘Sorry, sorrry oops yes my sac hit you in the face/boob/dislodged your toddler but it IS manly, *wink*’)and navigates treacherous public seating arrangements. It has the added benefit of providing a back-rest should seating be deficiently provided**.

FTFY 😉

*Top tip- a rucsac may be easier to forget/lose if keep taking it off, so choose back-less seats if at all possible. And stay out of tight-spaces/small bike-shops/crystal emporiums.

** Note – If seating provides adequate back-rest then your rucsac will become a pain in the back. Yes you have to take it off again. Or just sit there leaning forward, glancing furtively about to see if anyone notices. As if you pooped yourself.
    EDIT. There will be more intrepid men with both larger and smaller sacs. If you catch them checking you, simply ignore and break into a small jog/leap an obstacle***

*** NOT a ticket barrier

nickc

That scaramanga site is perhaps the most hipsterish thing I’ve ever seen, the idea a leather tool roll for your cables is either a massive piss take or a work of comedy genius, i can’t decide which

crikey
    Free Member

rucsacs can be worn on your front if you are spatially challenged…

fasthaggis

Go left field,tool belts are the new look.

hammyuk
    Free Member

gastromonkey – Member
    I use a North Face messenger bag for my work bag. I’ve had it for a few years and it’s been tough and reliable. It’s also waterproof(ish) with a couple of internal dividers and a couple of smaller pockets for little things.

Kriega are fully waterproof :mrgreen:

Klunk
    Free Member

some rules with rucsacs though, no beards, no tan, no running in tube stations, and no unusual head gear.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

rucsacs can be worn on your front if you are spatially challenged…

‘papoose’ is a whole other thread! 😉

(Just joking, I use all sorts of bags/sacs for the job at hand. Most often cheap/bootsale indestructible army surplus rucsac or bladder-less Lobo and sometimes messenger/satchel.)

rossburton
    Free Member

I do everything with my Timbuk2 messenger bag, had it for 11 years now and apart from not being as bright as it once was it’s still absolutely fine.

RustySpanner

I tried a messenger bag for work, pretty impressed tbh.

Can’t stand having the strap over my neck and didn’t feel happy carrying a laptop over one shoulder so gone back to rucksac/briefcase depending.

Brilliant for river fishing though.
    🙂

Kryton57

Klunk – Member
    some rules with rucsacs though, no beards, no tan, no running in tube stations, and no unusual head gear.
    POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Lots more offensive than teasels post IMO. Just sayin’

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Brilliant for river fishing though.

Snap! That’s all my ancient timbuk2 gets used for these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Modern man bags’ is closed to new replies.