Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Modern comuting dilema, bus content
  • project
    Free Member

So youre traveling down an inner city road, and a bus in front indicates its pulling out from its stop, when your half way down the side of it, do you continue, pull back and risk a muppet in a car running you over, or continue and then the bus has to wait for a space to overtake you , which may upset the driver as he is then delayed.

But if you stay behind the bus you get lung fulls of poisionous diesel or gas fumes, as it pulls off.

amplebrew

I’d continue to pass as the bus should only pull away once it’s safe to do so.

Upsetting the driver wouldn’t even enter my head.

brakes
    Free Member

what time of day is it?
    when did it last rain?
    what did you have for lunch last Tuesday?
    what will you have for lunch next Tuesday?
    who is the current deputy president of Botswana?

too many variables.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What amplebrew said.

You’re meant to let them out, but not at that stage, it’s really poor driving and unsafe IMO.

samuri
    Free Member

Aye, I’d carry on past. If the bus looks like it’s actually going to start moving out I’ll nail it.

downgrade
    Free Member

indicates its pulling out from its stop

Totally unrealistic scenario. No signal or still signalling left are the only two possibilities.

unknown
    Free Member

Of course you carry on passing. Indicating signals a driver’s intent to perform a manoeuvre, they should only begin to perform that manoeuvre when it becomes safe to do so.

When in the car or on my bike I treat buses exactly the same as I would any other road user, I don’t automatically let them out just because they’re buses.

cbike
    Free Member

Irrelavent. These days they are all 4 deep at a bus stop with their Hazard lights on thus making applying the highway code rules very difficult.

unknown
    Free Member

Actually it is pretty relevant to the op. In the scenario outlined he’s under no obligation to let the bus out, particularly as he’s already passing.

glupton1976
    Free Member

They should only put the indicator on when they have a safe gap. Doing what they did in your scenario is dangerous.

crazybaboon

A bus driver this this to me whilst eyeballing me in the mirror and laughing, he wasn’t laughing when he had to stop to pick some passengers up and I got on the bus to have words!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lift the pace a little, pass and be ready to get the hell out of the way while writing down the reg of the bus. If you were half way past in a car would you stop?

Northwind

More speed would be my standard answer, though, would obviously call it based on the exact situation…

kiwijohn

This also happened to a mate. Apparently, you;re not allowed to jump on the bus at the next stop & start punching.
    The judge only gave him a slap on the wrist though.

user-removed
    Free Member

Continue whilst hammering on the side of the bus in case he genuinely hasn’t seen you.

That said, no point getting flattened by another’s inattention / spite. If the right hand lane is clear, pull out into the free space, then call the police.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Brakes:
    – morning
    – in my current location the last measurable rain was in April
    – crackers and cheese
    – crackers and cheese (outside chance of tuna and mayo on ryvita)
    – Ponatshego Honorius Kefaeng Kedikilwe (sneaky edit – missed the word “deputy”)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Bunnyhop onto the roof of the bus, ride along to the front, turbo boost off whilst flipping a middle finger to the driver. The bus will then explode, all wars will end and everyone will live happily ever after – even more so if the bus is a doubledecker.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Complain to whoever contracts the service. If put a few complaints in about myopic retards in charge of London buses and they’ve all been upheld. We are told it goes on a drivers record and they can be disciplined, retrained, etc

project
    Free Member

some intresting and resoned answers,but non explain how to overcome being out accelaerated by a 12 ton plus bus that is up to 49 foot long.

GrahamS

OP had the driver actually seen you when he stuck the indicator on (e.g. made eye contact in his mirror?)

If not then I’d have been very wary about continuing to pass without an escape route to the right

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Modern comuting dilema, bus content’ is closed to new replies.