Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Model railway enthusiasts- what's wrong with my set?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve dug out my old train set and am having some bother getting it going.

The trains will move (a Flying Scotsman, which barely moves at all, and a Class 59 diesel which will move) but very slowly and often need a push to get over the points. Even at full speed on the controller, a Hornby R965, the trains edge their way around.

The set hasn’t been used for about 8 years and has been stored under a bed. The track is all connected properly (though some of it isn’t a tight fit) and set up on a hard table. The layout is a basic loop with two sidings.

The 59 diesel has improved after a few pushes round but is still running at about a quarter of the speed it should and the movement is jerky. The A3 barely moves at all.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Track will need cleaning and the pickups and wheels on the locomotive will need cleaning.

Don’t use anything to abrasive.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Dirty rails/connectors. A similar issue with our lego trainset was solved by cleaning with white spirit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

Ah, super. Is brasso any good for this? There’s something deep in my memory about using brasso for it.

njee20
    Free Member

Give the track a clean – meths on a lint free cloth is fine. Go over the wheels on the locos too. If its still not working a bit of lube may help – from a model shop, rather than chain lube! Few drops of something on the gears – the motors are very simple assuming its an old Lima 59. Peco electrolube is good, will help electrical continuity.

bobbyspangles

things always moved faster when you were younger?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Model railway enthusiasts- what's wrong with my set?’ is closed to new replies.