Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • MOD land access
  • Yak

Thanks natrix. I signed on last night. Maybe its just area specific enforcement.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Martib,

The 4x4s have trashed parts of the plain and as a former user of the Airstrip, I know only too well just how devastating it can be to have that facility put out of use. You won’t put a Herc down there at the moment given the conditions but fairly soon it’ll dry out and ruts will cause havoc.

The motocross riders that frequent the area are a nightmare. Had a few ride at me, spray me with stones by way of wheel spin and they trash the tracks too. Also lots of litter from them.

natrix
    Free Member

Not content with trying to ban cyclists, the army are now trying to ban sandwiches 😯

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/army-commander-bans-sandwiches-after-officers-are-caught-eating-with-their-hands-9171782.html

allthepies
    Free Member

An update on the TAG website today.

http://trailactiongroup.co.uk/

jay_tht
    Free Member

Interesting.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Heaven forbid that cyclist get in the way of all the filming in Hankley!

More Surreywood, than training at the moment.

At least the film crews were polite and surprisingly welcoming.

Still, as always, strategy for MTB is seek not to inflame any situation (so excuse the irony of my sarcasm here,)

theotherjonv

At least they’re talking; better that than making decisions without any say in the matter

cookan
    Free Member

Hi guys, my first post here but came across the thread when looking for more information and thought i’d add an update to the situation. Last week a primary school class having a maths lesson on elstead common were ordered to leave, doing nothing wrong other than assembling a group of people. So this is now a problem on elstead common also and if it persists will mean even families of more than 1 child will be turned away (they said no groups of more than 3)
    They were told that they could apply with 2 weeks notice to use the commons but it would be £150 a time for a licence.

I can understand being ticked off for blatantly flouting bylaws but a bunch of 8 year olds being accused of an uprising against the establishment really? The bylaws should be implemented in the way they were originally intended and with discretion, to manipulate their context in this way is bullying and underhand.

theotherjonv

Hi. Could you email me (in profile) – would like to understand more of what happened, also heard of a similar incident at fleet ponds.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s a Landmarc jobsworth on the prowl. I’ve never seen any military activity on Elstead Common (although the signs are up and I would imagine it is used occasionally). That area is awash with families out walking etc at weekends.

Great way to build relations between the local community and the army 🙄

cookan
    Free Member

yeah I was surprised about Elstead Common..Hankley I could understand being asked to walk around etc when there’s active training but turfing people off, and turfing them off when there’s nobody else on there ? Not really ‘hearts and minds’ I’ll drop you note theotherjonv

Yak

Not been on the ranges for a while now. I think we should be into the 2-strike policy around here now too if the earlier warning is correct. Not found out yet though.

allthepies
    Free Member

I noticed last week that the perimeter fence around Ash Ranges is being “upgraded” from the easy to climb over style to higher stuff with barbed wire at the top.

ninfan
    Free Member

I think thats likely to be for cattle grazing – its the current big thing round here with MOD/SWT partnership managed heathland

allthepies
    Free Member

The existing fences are more than capable of containing the cattle but yes, hopefully you’re right. Must be costing a fair wack, budgets can’t be too stretched in the public sector 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

People are always on about rebalancing the economy away from London.

I cant see why all MOD land in the south east is nt sold and their bases moved to some where else.

The MOD needs large areas of land and the SE is too congested.

Also the land their bases sit on must be worth a hell of a lot in terms of housing development.

Surely they’d actually make money moving away.

Its a win win.

allthepies
    Free Member

and the SE is too congested.

So selling off huge areas of unspoilt land and building on it would help how ? 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

remove soliders + families = more housing for others ?

How did moving the BBC help ? Presumably by creating jobs else where.

How would moving the MOD be any different it would be creating jobs else where.

Sui
    Free Member

The MOD did sell of Land in London to make some dosh – remember Chelsea/Kensington barracks? You also need to remember that troops are returning from Germany so are taking up some of the new developments. a lot of MOD land is SSSI so cannot be used for development. Much of the unused barracks are in the arrse end of nowhere as well.

ninfan
    Free Member

It not like they haven’t been doing that for years though – Para’s and Gurkha’s are gone from Aldershot/Crookham and their bases turned into houses, loads of the other bases are going – Deepcut to be turned into houses, Chobham, Bordon etc.

more housing for others

Probably worth commenting that they bulldoze and rebuild most of the SFA housing, much of it was in such a sorry state that the councils etc. wouldn’t house dogs in it!

Jason
    Free Member

The new fencing on Ash Ranges looks to only be in the section that backs onto Ash Vale, I had assumed it was to stop dog walkers getting onto the ranges when the flags are flying. I have seen several walking inside the fence with the flags flying – I know there is no live firing on the perimeter road, but even so they shouldn’t be there. The new fencing looks to be fairly dog proof. There are no cattle in this part of the ranges. The fencing in the more ‘remote’ parts of the ranges was unchanged last time I was there, although notes on the gates saying they will be locked when the flags are flying.

martib

The MOD/DIO have put up new fencing around the impact area’s at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain. They have also got RoW changed so that the ones that go inside the impact area are removed and created new ones outside to join up existing RoW, which they have clearly signposted and put up route change notices.
    On a ride out the other week I did notice that the new fence had been damaged by one of the old (now extinct) RoW, obviously someone wants to ruin the Public Access for all. Plus they have put in gates to allow troop access, so no excuse for the damage 🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

There are signs up about the fencing replacement being an ongoing project. The section I noticed was the access point at the top of Surprise Hill (Ash).

cookan
    Free Member

right…I have the full story, and it’s resolution..

The class were not told to leave the common. They approached a marshal who was very friendly and talked about what he was doing on the common etc. The marshal asked if they’d informed anyone that they were on the common and gave them a number to call in future so that they could do so.

They stayed on the common for a good hour after speaking to the marshal and later phoned the number from school. The contact wasn’t available so they were put through to another person who happened to be a bit too far removed from the local issues and it was over the phone that they had a difficult discussion and were told off by this guy.

Having had a few other phone calls over the last few days, the MOD began to hear rumours of problems and sent a couple of friendly senior chaps to discuss with the head yesterday.

The outcome is that they just want the school to inform them in advance if they’re taking responsibility for a group of children on the common so that they can ensure they’re going to be in a clear area free of training. They were very keen to build the relationship with the community and welcomed the use of the commons, just want the opportunity to clear areas in advance of groups if there’s been recent activity there (especially after night training).

They’ve offered to draft a statement for distribution to parents and also offered to come in and deliver an assembly…

I don’t think there’s any suggestion that individuals/families should need to phone in advance..just relating to the school where teachers are taking responsibility for others children…

thanks,
    Ant.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes good posts. Sounds much more like the Hanley I know and run/cycle across. Always puzzled by the comments about problems there are the army always seem very friendly or oblivious and perfectly happy if you are no getting to the way. I can understand the dog mess problem though expensively in 300m radius of the car parks!

theotherjonv

Good stuff Ant, thanks for the update. Sounds like a sensible approach to a solution from both sides.

Wrt mtb’ing – in theory of course we have no rights over these areas, except on row’s and made up tracks – whatever that means. So even more important that we behave and act responsibly and politely if challenged. Not everyone at landmarc / dio is out to get recreational users, treat as you’d like to be treated.

ninfan
    Free Member

just want the opportunity to clear areas in advance of groups if there’s been recent activity there (especially after night training).

Thats a very good point – Kids and Pryo 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJpXhsI6M8[/video]

natrix
    Free Member

Always puzzled by the comments about problems there are the army always seem very friendly or oblivious and perfectly happy if you are no getting to the way

That has always been my experience as well.

With regards to pyro etc, the ammo bunker at one training area used to have an amnesty box where soldiers could leave stuff that they’d accidentally acquired. Unfortunately it also meant that the local kids knew where to get stuff to play with 😈

theotherjonv

If they didn’t allow recreational access and use, who would call in the necessary when a fire breaks out and the army aren’t present.

Like I just did on Tunnel Hill 🙁

One appliance already there and more coming apparently, on the scrub bit below ‘Abbey View’

Lots of bangs as well from discarded live blanks, keeping the fire brigade a bit cautious.

natrix
    Free Member

Jon V, please accept a virtual Fireman Sam badge 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘MOD land access’ is closed to new replies.