Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Mock my tool roll (Humblebag brag)
  • joemmo
    Free Member

No need for a shock pump, rigid bikes rock!

Next time someone writes about their aversion to full suspension bikes because of the high maintenance requirements I shall direct them to this thread.

welshfarmer

You really need a Record 36 vice and some soft jaws if you have the space

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Pin spanner is in there.
    Thinking about what circlips are on the bike – either kind. 🤔
    Good call on the truing tool, never needed one yet.
    Don’t know what I’d need a T25 driver for?

grahamt1980

No spare bike just in case?

joat

Chain checking tool! How ******* far are you riding?

Lionheart
    Free Member

Cassette socket
    We also carry spares, lots of spares

joshvegas
    Free Member

Those zip tied spanners would
    do my absolute nut in.

slackalice
    Free Member

Save space and get shot of the hand cleaning stuff and replace with a box of nitrile gloves. A big box obvz. 😉

Lionheart
    Free Member

I can feel the need for ‘show us your tool box’ thread !

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cassette socket is there with option for 1/4 or 8mm drive. Zip tied spannerd are on a reusable zip so come apart.
    Only two pars of gloves. But no chain on one bike and only gears on one. Should get by.

Chain check tool? Well this is my home tool kit as well, just the mobile version. If it was the full one there’d be digital fisherman’s scale, a chain degreaser/cleaner, a broom handle for bar alignment and deity of your choice knows what else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A T6 to carry all that round with you ?

I’ve gone on 6 month across cycle tours with (significantly) less gear

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Again: it’s going in the boot of the car for 5 days away. 🙂

5plusn8
    Free Member

If I have room I take a mass of spares, toolbox, and bike stand with considerably more gear than your tasty looking tool roll. Holidays are valuable and having it ruined by a mechanical that you could have fixed with the tools that can easily go in the car is very disappointing. All power to you mate.
    PS That knipex pliers wrench works very well as a disc truing tool, so you do not need one of them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

👌 you’re in good company, Jeff Jones favourited my tool roll on Flickr. (Swoon).

jkomo

I take a similar amount for a day at BPW. Why not? Why spoil a day out messing around trying to fix a problem without all your shit. I also take lubes and tubeless jiz.

tjagain

Why take all that stuff? I can strip my bikes to their components with a multitool, a bb wrench and a cassette tool with an adjustable spanner and I have never needed to take a cassette off the freehub or bb out apart from when dong maintenence at home.

136stu
    Free Member

Dong maintenance – just a nitrile glove and a bit of muc-off wet lube surely?

tjagain

🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Why take all that stuff?

Because I can, and it is how I store the tools anyway. No garage with a pegboard or big toolchest, just that tool roll, a space at the bottom of wardrobe for it and some spares/ tyres and a drawer of “I might find a use for that some day” stuff.

When I’m out on the bike it’s a combination of tire levers, multitool, tube, gel packet, tubeless plugs, puncture kit, valve cores, quick links, spare links, zip ties and 2 rear light batteries all in a water bottle, I have one for the skinny tired bike and one for the MTBs with the appropriate kit in. They live on the bikes with the pumps.
    But when I go away I can just throw this in a car, or in the big backpack if I’m travelling by train. Simples.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Don’t bother justifying it to all the heroes on here Eddie.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I posted it fully prepared for any comments and got a couple of good ideas from it, so it worked.

FB-ATB

Don’t you just need duct tape for stuff that moves but shouldn’t and a hammer for items that don’t move but should?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Good spot. Duct tape in the messy consumables bag with gt85 hammers are too big to fit in the roll so I just chose 2 from my 4 and throw them in as well. Usually a small pin hammer and a rubber mallet.

canopy
    Free Member

I dont see a spanner big enough to turn that cassette lock ring tool?
    anbd there are 3 different sets of pad spacers?

humble brag..

i use one of these at home. i only allow in tools I actually use. the old toolbox handles spillover. only thing that doesnt fit is a track pump and the big ass torque wrench (the smaller one is in there).
    sgs mobile rolling toolbox

for tool nerds.. best two things I ever bought are a 3/8 drive socket set which has both hex and socket ends and a “spinner” handle which is also 3/8 drive which basically makes any bit into a screwdriver (note: also have a 3/8 torque wrench)

other nice thing i cant find to buy another of is a 1/2 drive cassette lock ring tool which paired with the aforementioned “big ass torque wrench” gets shit done nicely

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I dont see a spanner big enough to turn that cassette lock ring tool?
    anbd there are 3 different sets of pad spacers?

Cassette lockring tool has a 1/4 drive fitting and there is a 1/4 to 8mm hex adapter in there. I could use the PBSwiss hex but I tend to use the red handled 8mm hex below the pack of zipties for that and crappy pedals, keeping the decent hex in good condition.
    Bleed blocks and spacers for when I pop front wheels out for travel on the Fatty, ‘Dale and BMC.

SirHC
    canopy
    Free Member

^ awesome cheers 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So much want and need… 🙀

Tracey

I use an Aldi tool bag at home, sits on the shelf in the garage, gets lifted off and into the camper garage when we go away. Got everything in we would ever need.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well it’s time to take it with me. Should be a fun few days riding but I will note what I actually use. And on that note:

twrch
    Free Member

I don’t see a JIS screwdriver. I hope your limit screws didn’t suffer any unnecessary wear as a result.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Replaced with Ti hex. And singlespeed.
    One more day coming up. So far used one spanner to reposition a brake caliper on someone elses bike, two hex keys to alter seat height and flip a stem and a bit of sticky tape.
    I could make of photo log if required.
    Probably off to Puddletown on the Cannondale 29 today. Or maybe a Fatty beaches ride by wareham/Poole. Decisions decisions…

DrP

I’m with teh OP on this… If I’m going away for the weekend, i’ll take the ‘majority of frequently used tools… they pack down not much bigger than a shoebox (in fact, mine go in a tool carry thing like the aldi one up there..^^ but mine was from Screwfix!

I’f i’m in the car, it fits in easily, and then you can fix most issues.

CLEARLY he doesn’t take that all in a camelback!

DrP

Merak

Haterz gonna hate.

I doff my cap to your tool roll.

andyl
    Free Member

spare cable inner

DezB
    Free Member

5plusn8

Don’t bother justifying it to all the heroes on here Eddie.

If I learnt one thing from this thread, it’s that the OP’s name isn’t Eddie.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If I learnt one thing from this thread, it’s that the OP’s name isn’t Eddie.

Thanks Debs.

UPDATE: I fixed a puncture this afternoon. But that didn’t need anything from the tool roll.

DezB
    Free Member

No need for cheek. Hope someone nicks your tools

eddiebaby
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Mock my tool roll (Humblebag brag)’ is closed to new replies.