• This topic has 44 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Mobius Action Cam
  • Muke
    Free Member

I know that the internet already has enough boring videos of people doing stuff but I was thinking of getting an action camera for occasional use and although GoPro seems to be the camera of choice these days I was looking for something a bit cheaper so my search led me to the Mobius Action Cam.

Picture quality looks great for a thing so small with several mounting options and waterproof case available the only off putting thing is the 80 minute battery life.

Seems popular with remote aircraft flyers but was wondering if anybody on here has any experience of using one with a MTB ?

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

No experience with mtb use, but I have one I use as a car camera and for videos on holiday. IME it copes well with getting bounced about a lot as a car camera when offroad.

Its really tiny, and picture quality is great, battery lasts at least 1 hour, and for the price (much cheaper to order in from hong kong if you can wait a few weeks) its absolutely amazing.

Downsides are that you need a pc to edit the settings (change resolution etc.) and theres no screen, so no instant playback.

Best review (including some motorbike footage) here.

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks etp

daveh
    Free Member

Same as etp, car use only but it’s a cracking little camera for that. Can’t see why it wouldn’t be similarly good on the bike.

chewkw
    Free Member

I will be getting one for my car soon as it is within my budget of £90, anything more than that price is a waste for me.

rockhopper70

You might want to check the liquid image ego…these have come down in price significantly and amazon are selling them at £75.

I would say they are better than the möbius for that money…wifi viewfinder and compatible with gopro style mounts.

chewkw
    Free Member

rockhopper70 – Member

You might want to check the liquid image ego…these have come down in price significantly and amazon are selling them at £75.

I would say they are better than the möbius for that money…wifi viewfinder and compatible with gopro style mounts.

Not better than Mobius in many ways. Mobius’ price is around £55 – £65 including the suction car window mount(£5 or something). Not much different in price.

But my view is that Mobius is far better.

The followings are what I don’t like about liquid image ego:

1. Bulky by comparison to Mobius. i.e. it’s in standing upright position.

2. Picture/filming quality. i.e. not better than Mobius put it this way as it is not as good in dark and not as sharp.

3. Software are far complicated and I don’t use wifi or smartphone (I will in future but the technology will be better than).

Overall, I think Mobius is keeping things simple so that is good.

🙂

daveh
    Free Member

I’m sure my Möbius direct from China was only £43 inc mount.

snb123
    Free Member

Mobius is awesome. So is the DImika (http://stozz-audio.jux.com/2586319) and s4000. All good stuff for the price.

chewkw
    Free Member

Interesting to see another small action cam like Dimika(US$80 I think) in the market. See they are all coming up with action cam now.

The design of Dimika looks solid but the pic/film quality is not as good as Mobius to be frank.

Looks like Mobius is still better.

The USB plugin for Mobius is also nicely position at the rear not at the side like Dimika.

daveh – Member

I’m sure my Möbius direct from China was only £43 inc mount.

That’s a good price.

snb123
    Free Member

Agree with you for the most part on the mobius having best quality. Although I haven’t had the s4000 in yet. The Dimika definitely improves when you play with the settings and up the exposure but the mobius the video in my review was out the box and untweaked but in the coming weeks im going to load some stuff from the bike. Ill maybe do a mobius on the left side of the helmet and Dimika on the right. If the s4000 comes in itll go on the chest haha.

Blown away though as these things have came on leaps and bound fromy days shooting stuff on the MD80. Used Gopro2 and MD80 to shoot this a few years back [video]http://vimeo.com/43628772[/video] from 10.40 on you can you tell which cam is on which?……. heres a clue the MD80 is a potato.

Muke
    Free Member

Having had a look, I still think I’m up for a Mobius

daveh
    Free Member

That’s a good price.

Seems I paid £41.49 for the camera, and it arrived in 4 days!

chewkw
    Free Member

daveh – Member

Seems I paid £41.49 for the camera, and it arrived in 4 days!

Woohoo! That’s even better. Thanks for link btw.

One question, at the price you paid £41.49 what do you get? The reason I ask is I want to use it as car dashcam. I want the suction mount too.

Mobius is definitely my 1st choice.

:mrgreen:

daveh
    Free Member

Just the camera related bobbins, the mounts are extra (a whole £2 or £3, same seller). Have a look at the double sided sticky mount, it’s a lot more discrete. I just Velcro’d mine to the rear view mirror, it didn’t even really need that as it balanced on top (without falling) with just the stiffness of the USB cable for support.

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks for the link daveh

I’ve just started trawling through this 532 page Mobius Action Cam Support Thread that I found on rcgroups.com

daveh
    Free Member

No worries chaps. Really impressed with the camera, seller was perfect. Ordered Friday, arrived Wed. Enjoy.

Muke
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a good ( cheap or free) .MOV to .WMV convertor ? Loads available it seems but many appear to contain malware etc

Muke
    Free Member

Update: Went out for a test this arvo, need to work on the settings a bit but it’s got potential….

[video]http://vimeo.com/91932750[/video]

Have been using Windows movie maker for edit/conversion.

snb123
    Free Member

Hoping thats just the compression that makes all that horrible pixeling.

Muke
    Free Member

I think it must be as the quality was good straight out of the camera, the degradation only appears after I edit the clips. 😕
    This movie conversion thing is a bit of a learning curve for me tbh.

snb123
    Free Member

Same for me mate the video I posted above was the same looked way better on the computer. Techmoan on youtube usually provides the original files for anyone looking for just how good the mobius s4000 and dimika are.

walla24
    Free Member

They do a waterproof case too now
    Think I will pull the trigger soon, seems like a bargain compared to gopro

Muke
    Free Member

Have tried uploading to Flickr which is a bit better but still a little disappointing. Next step is to try using iplayer on a mac to see how that goes.

[video]https://www.flickr.com/photos/31852911@N07/13949739026/in/photostream[/video]

edit: 🙄 Now have to work out how to link to new flickr 👿

chewkw
    Free Member

The quality is very good from your flickr link. I like.

🙂

deluded
    Free Member

I’m currently looking at purchasing an Action Cam (not that there will be much ‘action’ of note captured!). I’m shaping towards either a Mobius or TCL SVC200.

Can I recommend this site if your also considering a cam purchase – http://www.techmoan.com/

The fella provides really good, practical & straightforward reviews IMHO.

chewkw
    Free Member

Think Mobius still come up top.

deluded
    Free Member

I wish the Mobius software was more Mac friendly.

Techmoan loves it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Awesome trails 😯

walla24
    Free Member

ordered!
    very excited at the possibilities 😀

deluded
    Free Member

Yep – just ordered one also. Great little unit for £42.

chewkw
    Free Member

deluded – Member

Yep – just ordered one also. Great little unit for £42.

Which link? I want one for the car.

🙂

deluded
    Free Member

chewkw,

daveh’s link above mate. Shipped from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151071891306

chewkw
    Free Member

deluded – Member

chewkw,

daveh’s link above mate. Shipped from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151071891306

I see, thanks.

Okay, might cost a bit more for me as I need some extras for car.

🙂

Muke
    Free Member

Extras are cheap as well 😀
    The only issue I have is the loss of quality when converting/editing clips, the quality out of the camera is amazing the same as the GoPro promotional clips.
    Have heard that Handbrake is a good low loss conversion tool so am going to try that and then imovie and a Mac.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Anyone got any recent riding videos from the mobius?

Tempted because of its size. All others are just too big for me.

Muke
    Free Member

I’m still having issues with poor video quality when uploaded to the web but out of the camera onto my PC it is superb. Just as good if not better than GoPro imo.

https://flic.kr/p/nfG4pQ

deluded
    Free Member

Hiya Muke,

I’m still waiting for my Mobius to be delivered – it’s in transit somewhere according to tracking.

Few questions –

1) What changes did you make (if any) in the settings?

2) I purchased the standard helmet and bar mounts, which are a little ‘agricultural’ in appearance – have you made any mods to them or used any alternatives?

3) Did you view footage on a Mac in iMovie – if so, what were the results?

Cheers.

chewkw
    Free Member

What software are you using for video conversion?

The uploaded clips are alright IMO as long as those on PC are fine I will be happy.

🙂

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

The vids look pretty goid to me.

Also interested in the conversion and editing software used.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Mobius Action Cam’ is closed to new replies.