Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mobile phone deals for my daughter
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

It seems the new coming of age for kids these days is them getting their first mobile/smart phone and today is that day for my eldest. So the question is what contract/price plan seems to be the one for kids?

I wouldn’t put her on a PAYG like my Gifs Gaff because it has limited allowances and she’d forever be hassling me for a top up, so I feel some form of contract is probably the way to go. On the basis the voice calls will be minimal and social media activity will be 99% of the use then I guess a plan that has generous amounts of data?

Is there anything out there that anyone knows of that targets the kids? We’re probably favouring EE at the moment as that is what my wife has so maybe handy to have the same network as my wife as inter network calls are free?

Cheers.

sl2000

I wouldn’t put her on a PAYG like my Gifs Gaff because it has limited allowances and she’d forever be hassling me for a top up

A monthly contract has limited free allowances too – and once these run out she’ll run up a massive bill without needing to hassle you. I’d stick with giffgaff if I was you.

cranberry
    Free Member

because it has limited allowances and she’d forever be hassling me for a top up,

Surely you would say – “if you want more credit pay for it out of your allowance or go without”, allowing her to manage it herself and learn a lesson about finite resources ?

revs1972
    Free Member

I recently bought a sim from three for my ten year old.
    4gb of data, unlimited calls and texts for £9 a month via topcashback with £40 back too.
    I’m supposed to be able to cap that data so he doesn’t go over, but I’ve not found a way yet.
    If he wants to go over it, then it will come out of his pocket money

petec
    Free Member

we’ve got the daughter a 25gb Vodafone sim only deal. She won’t go over that…most of it’ll be in the home remember, on wifi.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Surely you would say – “if you want more credit pay for it out of your allowance or go without”, allowing her to manage it herself and learn a lesson about finite resources ?

Sure, but the main point from a parents point of view is that they’re not going to be stuck somewhere stranded and not able to call home because they’ve used up their allowances. I guess it’s about getting a contract or deal that has enough rather than an generous allowances, then its upto them to manage within the limitations.

The Three deal looks good, 4Gb of data should be easily enough. I think the equivalent Gifs Gaff deal would be alot more expensive on the basis i’m paying £7.50 a month for 750Gb of data. Not sure what Three coverage is like where I am. Vodaphone is rubbish, but O2 and EE seem to be pretty good.

spennyy
    Free Member

I have one from Tesco for my lad, you can cap the monthly bill and give a allowance incase they go over. Not had any issues in almost 3 years.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Same network as whoever she’d need to ring in an emergency (usually calls are free on the same network, so that solves the ‘used my credit up’, debate.

After that, stick her on PAYG to avoid bill shock and get her to understand limits.

russyh
    Free Member

My daughters uses her data monthly within days! Streaming music, watching YouTube etc. So being plugged into the wifi at home doesn’t really help. But we set it up so when it’s gone it’s gone! She wants it she pays for it. She is a sensible kid mind, so understands and never makes a fuss. Think she has a 10gb allowance could be wrong

Cougar

She’s using 10Gb in days and it’s on the home Wi-Fi? 😯

CraigW
    Free Member

Giffgaff gives you free calls and texts to other Giffgaff users, so long as you have topped up in the last 3 months. So they would be able to phone you, even if they run out of credit.

And you can set up auto-topup, whenever the credit gets low.

PePPeR

I use an unlimited contract with three for my son, £18. a month with calls and texts.

His data usage is astronomical.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phone deals for my daughter’ is closed to new replies.