Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mobile phone contract – how to ditch
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I know – loads of folk will doubtlessly get on board saying I’m stupid and it’s not possible. However, I just don’t believe it’s fit for purpose and have fought them ever since I got it: 8 months left of two years and they have overcharged me in that time by a few hundred pounds (I managed to get the money back after a month), never get a 3G signal worth anything, calls drop constantly. I have had to buy another phone for my work because it’s so poor and that works absolutely fine – I have had two call failures in the last month. That’s compared to a few per day with the original phone.

I’m not asking for or complain too much, I just like to get things solved, as demonstrated by using my other phone for everything and it’s fine. It’s pretty farcical that I would have to buy into another network so surely there’s a way to get rid of these pretenders? If this were a bike that failed this often and plain didn’t work, I would have sent it back to get repaired or replaced a long time ago. Surely the law is similar for a service as a product?

If anyone has any advice, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cougar

If you’ve replaced the handset and it works, the problem is with the old handset surely, not the service?

If this were a bike that failed this often and plain didn’t work, I would have sent it back to get repaired or replaced a long time ago.

So what’s stopping you? Send it back under warranty and get it fixed.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Surely the law is similar for a service as a product?”
    broadly it is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveh

I think the issue is that when you buy a phone service they do not guarantee a signal in any specific location. Having left it 14 months you’re also in a weaker position unless you have good history of arguing with them previously.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I had hassle with my handset and eventually got what I wanted through these guys:

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Thanks for your help. Yes, I have argued my case so much that it’s now at the “fob you off with a postal address” stage.

The phone is fine, it’s the network that’s horrific.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nutty, I don’t think they are obliged to provide “great network coverage” everywhere. I mean three mobile certainly didn’t initially and one-t-one openly said their service only really worked around London initially. I think you are stuck with them until you can switch in 8 months time. TBH I think you should get the phone unlocked and them just get another sim only contract from someone else, just bite the bullet and accept you’ll have to double pay

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Understood. I already do double pay – I have another handset and sim only plan – it’s just mad that I’m diverting calls to my other mobile and even using its personal hotspot.

Oh well, it is what it is. I never thought I would be saying that my decent handset with excellent coverage and price is with 3. I had one when they first arrived and they were terrible.

My problem is with Vodafone – I actually went into the shop and said I was having some problems that have been going on for some time. The assistant actually said “Oh, is that with your signal then? Yes, it’s not very good in Scotland is it?!”. The person about to buy a phone walked out!

I think the only way to get back at them is to continue to do more of the same. If only my life weren’t finite and I had the time to hang about the shop!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phone contract – how to ditch’ is closed to new replies.