Mk5 Golf headlight lash-up advice

Home Forum Chat Forum Mk5 Golf headlight lash-up advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mk5 Golf headlight lash-up advice
  • drlex

Evening!
    Having had the O/S headlamp fail last night, I picked up a spare today and just tried replacing it. No go, so I tried swapping bulbs from N/S to O/S – no power to the O/S socket, as both bulbs work in the N/S. A quick google indicates that this may be due to an electric control unit failing – poss. £250 + fitting/coding time.

Given that the car is almost 10 years old, 120K on the clock & only has to last a few more months until replacement, what’s the downside of splicing the O/S socket to the N/S? Two Dim headlamps and an M.O.T. Fail? Or will it likely kill the control unit?
    (Halogen bulbs, not fancy Xenon, so 12V 55W standard H4 units)

Ta!

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

£25 fix here, or take it to a local independent vw garage and they’ll advise you.

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Tape over all your lights, remove fuses, then take for mot, bingo one mot pass and an advisory for no lights fitted at time of test. Yes the mot is as silly as that sometimes. You have checked they aren’t fused individually each side?

Gary_C

You have checked they aren’t fused individually each side?

They are fused individually each side, plus low & high beams are on separate fuses too.

drlex

You have checked they aren’t fused individually each side?

They are fused individually each side, plus low & high beams are on separate fuses too.

Information that I could find on the internet indicates that they are fused together, and I’ve checked what appear to be the relevant fuses in the fuse “box” on the RHS of the dash under the trim panel. Looks like a trip to the German Car Indy on Monday, then. On the plus side, this is only the second issue since 2004; the first being a sticking bonnet catch.

Kevsterjw

If I were in your position, I would splice away.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mk5 Golf headlight lash-up advice’ is closed to new replies.