Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • MK1 YT Capra coil shock spring rate?
  • gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Hello,I’m considering a change over to a coil shock on my MK1 Capra and just wondered if you have done this yourself,what riding weight are you and what spring rate did you settle on? I’ve read some reports where users need to go with a heavier spring rate than recommended by spring calculators.

My riding weight is around 13 stone .

alric
    Free Member

If you look at capra review
    Youll see this in the comments

‘For a 95kg with a 400lbs spring you get a ~32% SAG at shock, however, due to the progressive nature of Capra, this corresponds to a 38% real SAG at the wheel travel. With a 450 spring you get 28% SAG at Shock and real 34% SAG at wheel. Going lower than 400 lbs means that you get a very soft initial travel (real SAG higher than 40%), which migth be way to soft (?) contributing to pedal bob. Bottom-outs should be ok even with such a soft spring given the progressive nature of the bike. I would stick with either a 400 or 450. The online calculators don’t account for progressive frames, so in this case, the results can be tricky.’
    I started with a 350, now Im on 450. 500 felt ok but Im 75kg and like drops n jumps
    Hope it helps

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Thanks for that alric,Interesting stuff that certainly points me in the right direction .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I went for a 450lb one on a cheap new Fox DHX RC4,and boy what an amazing and positive transformation in the bikes handling/performance. I’m loving it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘MK1 YT Capra coil shock spring rate?’ is closed to new replies.