• This topic has 55 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • MK IV Golf 2.0 GTI – any reason why not?
  • binners

I can’t think of any. But then what do I know?

I’m after a new car. It won’t be doing much mileage. I’m quite partial to VW’s of this age. But I’ve never owned one. Mrs Binners Polo GTI is like a rocket powered roller skate. It’s ace to drive! And is a good solid car. So I quite fancy something similar, but a bit bigger (for lobbing the bike in the back of)

I know there are some VW fans on here. So what should I be looking out for? I’m avoiding the obvious rude boy silliness, and looking at some clean, standard, un-modded, reasonable mileage ones tomorrow.

Your thoughts, and experiences, oh wise STW mob (except Molly obviously. Him and that bloody Passat!!!)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yes, for starters that was the one that wasn’t really a GTI.

But more seriously, they drive poorly.

The more sporty ones have rock hard suspension to stop them wallowing all over the place, and the less sporty ones don’t, so the do wallow.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to – I test drove a few of that model when considering what to replace a slightly troublesome Alfa 156 with, but ended up with another 156…

binners

I’ve kind of adopted the missus Polo GTI of late, and nothing can possibly have more solid suspension than that, surely? So I’m used to getting a battering!

cardo

Brill cars, the MK. 4 feels like it’s made from a solid piece of metal and had the best interior , not forgetting the blue dash lights too. My only thing would be to get the diesel (pressure diesels) in 130 or the earlier 115 hp flavour, they are rapid without being chipped. That and full service history and no signs of abuse or careless owners. I’d have another one.

Basil

I have a MK 4.
    Love it but waiting for any number of small black boxes to fail and cost a staggering percentage of the value of the car to replace.

njee20
    Free Member

The mk4 1.8 turbo GTI was better than the 2.0 one, which was a bit shit. Not as bad as the mk3, but the second worst offering to be called a GTI! Mk5 far better.

P-Jay
    Free Member

“Worst Golf GTI ever”

Doesn’t it make it a bad car, but it’s not really a GTi, think of it as a 2 litre Golf with decent spec. Even VW agree when it came to the Mk4 “GTi” was a spec level rather than a model.

cyclebiker

I have a 2002 130 GT TDI and I cannot put into words how much I love it. I’m no hardened petrolhead but i think its ace. Can still go some when I give it a bit and if I drive “nicely” I can see 57 mpg easy.

Rock solid, easy to work on (cheep to service, just bought all filters, rear brake pads and oil for £65). Im in no rush to get rid of mine.

carlos
    Free Member

The car is not deserving of the GTI badge imo. Yeah it was comfy, nice trim finish, looked good but having to drag around the weight of the car with the 115bhp was quite disappointing tbh. Iirc it was almost 10 seconds to 60, with no chance of improvement (unlike being able to remap a turbo) as its NA.

The 1.8T I got after the 2.0 was a whole different story. Yes it had its issues and was still wallowy, but with a remap, 312mm TT front brakes, Turbo back SS exhaust, decent filter and modified air box it was a right hoot to drive. BHP was pushed to 215 ish and torque to about 286. Don’t get me wrong there are plenty of faster cars out there but it was quite a bit quicker than standard

If you can get the 1.8T Defo worth it over the 2.0

That’s my 2p

jonnym92

I would avoid the 2.0 petrol. The 1.8t is a pretty good engine, reliable and very tuneable if that’s your bag.

I own the MkV GTi and love it, if your budget could stretch there’s no comparison imo.

In regards to what to look for I would say rust (mkvs are prone to it on the wings) quick google revealed this – mk4 golf common faults.

If you’re interested in a mk5 let me know, been researching them a lot, as I’ve recently bought one!

binners

Right. Well this is certainly dividing opinion. I think I’ll have a look at the 1.8T as well then.

To be honest I’d just buy another Polo GTI, if I could find a decent one. They’re pretty rare. But his and hers matching cars is a bit tragic. Would I get away with it in a different colour? Mrs Binners is bright red, and I treated her to some lovely new BBS split rims for her birthday

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

I too have just bought a mk5 after having owned a mk3 for 9 years. They are like chalk and cheese!
    The mk5 is a great car, ace to drive and plenty of power. Also pretty reliable.
    That said my brother owned a mk4 1.8T and that was a nice car.

If you can stretch to a mk5 then that’d be the one to go for, if not then hunt out a decent 1.8T.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Spend the extra and get a mkV, MUCH bettererer cars!

bikerdan
    Free Member

Have the 2.0 model. As previously stated it isn’t very gti. Drinks oil at quite a rate and has just cost more than expected for mot and service due to a few issues. It has done 164k though.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

We have the 2.0l ‘GTi’ and as other have said, not earth shattering performance. I love VW’s especially the older ones and have a T4 too but one thing the Mk4 has going for it is reliability.
    Last year the Mrs hit a pothole which dislodged the radiator and coolant pipes and carried on driving to work and back – over 50 miles! this would have cooked most engines but a new rad and coolant and 10k later its still like new.

But I think performance is what you want, I wouldn’t hesitate if you can find an unmodified 1.8T

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I test drove a 1.8t mk 4, nasty, hard ride and wife thought the interior was nasty, and that’s coming from the alfa.

Just a reminder that Italians know how to build cars that drive well, and the Germans get lucky every now and again, or require lots of money to be able to do it…

unovolo
    Free Member

I have had a Seat Ibiza with the same engine and it was nippy but wouldnt rate it as quick, my Cmax 1.8Diesel has the same BHP and would leave it standing for in gear acceleration and rides and handles better.

Your better off looking at the 1.8t or even one of the diesels.

ski99

I’ve got a 2001 1.8T 150bhp mk4 and it’s a fun drive.
    Get a decent stereo ’cause the factory fit is very poor (although the speakers are OK), if it has the winter pack, make sure the heated seats both work, ask if the window clips have been changed and the coil packs replaced (under warranty, got mine done last year no questions asked at the local retailer), gets about 36mpg, fits a ridiculous amount of stuff in if you fold the seats.

It’s currently doing 80 miles a day and is nippy enough to be fun and surprise a few of the rep’s.

Worth seeking out a 150GT TDI or a 180bhp petrol at the right price.

binners

Just spotted a 1.8T. Full service history, 1 owner. Think I’ll check that out tomorrow. Looks like that’s tge one rather than the 2.0.

Thanks for the advice, opinions and experiences all. Keep ’em coming!

igm

It’s a Golf. Granny mobiles. Welcome to senility.

Says the man with the SMax.

cobrakai

I had the mk 4 2.0 “gti” for three year. Apart from it being woefully underpowered for a gti, it was great. Very comfy, handled well. I bought it at 60k and I got rid of it at 125k as the head gasket was going. This was due to me driving from Guildford to Glasgow once a month at 90mph with one stop for fuel.

Check the electric windows carefully as they are notorious on mk 4’s for the clips on the actuators for breaking. Pita to fix. Other than that and the head gasket it was faultless.

If you have a chance get the 1.9tdi instead. As it’s a heavier lump the handling isn’t so good but it’s the best all round car I’ve owned.

Bit drunk so not too coherent a response.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve a 130 tdi mk4 golf. I will not miss it when it dies which will probably be soon
    Electric issues , it leaks oil diesel and now power steering fluid
    And has poor economy despite not being driven hard 42mpg avg
    Does have 160000 but full history

The dmf is making bad nosies as well

Seem to remeber the 150 bhp ones had some cam wear issues

patriot_matt
    Free Member

ask if the window clips have been changed

Need to do the wives sometime as its a right pain going through the drive-thru 😯

orangeboy
    Free Member

Driver side window on mines playing up , I just assumed it was the motor

Bucko

As already stated many times above the mk4 2.0 ‘GTi’ was a very old engine and worth avoiding if you want something ‘rocket powered’. It was actually marketed as an ‘SE’ model in other countries, the GTi badge was just put on it to help shift it in the UK.

GJP
    Free Member

Or you could try the 170bhp V5? I had one from new for 6 years, cooling fans were a problem, but bar that no problems. Engine was sweet! Handling, well it was as good as any other MK4

binners

Drivers side window has been nackered on Mrs Binners Polo GTI for years. Keep meaning to get it fixed.

And I’ve never owned a diesel before, and I never will! Diesel engines are for tractors and lorries. 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

The 2.0 if I recall had a massive 115hp, although there are 1.8 versions with 125hp (as with Audi A3) or 150hp turbo. Seem solid enough until you sit in the A3 of similar vintage – the 1.8 A3 sport actually had ‘sports’ seats and suspension unlike the 2.0 golf and better trimmed.

tron
    Free Member

The 2.0 mk4 is not a GTI. It was badged as a driver in the rest of Europe. Bear in mind that the MK1 GTI had 112 bhp in a light car. The MK4 2.0 has 115 in a much heavier shell.

The 1.8t was the only bona fide MK4 GTI, but even then I’d sooner have a Leon Cupra

cardo

Something to consider is the MK.5 Golf does benefit from independant rear suspension which turned a heavy car into a nimble one.

zeffir
    Free Member

I was looking at these but eventually went for a Seat Altea FR tdi, cracking car for the money and has loads of torque without being too thirsty. A lot of fun for the twisty B roads.

benp1

2.0 mk4 wasn’t quick, it was still a good car, just not deserving of the gti badge

You’d have more fun in the 1.8t (had the A3 version of the 1.8t gti), or one of the PD diesels in 115, 130 or 150bhp flavour

Caher

Have you thought of a tsi GT? Pretty rapid without drinking the produce of fraking. Love mine when I rarely get the chance to drive.

Inbred456
    Free Member

The 1.8T was 150bhp. The 2.0l 16v was about 115bhp. I had a VRS 1.8T that had 220ish bhp after a remap and sundry mods. That chassis was based on the MK IV Golf with further improvements and even with those and uprated bushes and rear anti roll bar fancy shocks etc the ride was still pants. You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear! There are so many better cars out there. That chassis is so bad it’s laughable. If you like cars from that era I would go for a Focus ST 170 better than a mk4 Golf in every way or what about a mk5 Golf GTi.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

If you do look at mark 4 Golfs, be sure to check for water ingress into the cabin. Potential ingress points include the seals around the door liners (behind the door cards), the place where the bonnet cable goes through the bulkhead and around the sun roof drains (if fitted). Mine also let water in around the rear light cluster seals. Treat any dampness in the footwells or boot with caution… Not necessarily a deal-breaker, especially if you enjoy getting busy with the mastic and have lots of idle time on your hands.

euans2
    Free Member

If I was looking at another Mk4 GTI then it would have to be the 1.8t Anniversary or 2002 onwards GTI, they have the best spec and the best engine, they come with the K03s turbo instead of the K03, The K03 had a fairly small power band where as the K03s would pull better through out the rev range.

The Anniversary came with 180 bhp (in pertol form) the GTI came in 150 bhp and 180, the Anniversary also came with nice Recaro seats where as only the early GTI’s came with Recaros (a different type from the Anniversary VW changed to a cheeper inhouse seat from 2000 onwards)

One thing to look out for on the 1.8t, the oil pick up pipe can become blocked (normaly due to bad servicing. Also happens on the 2.0TFSI engines) if this happens it can write the engine off.

Here is a link to an Anniversary
    VW Golf MK4 Anniversary

Nick

I had a Mk4 2.0 GTI. I think people are being quite generous, I think it was crap. Couldn’t keep up with diesel Focus’s. Body roll was terrible. Creaked and rattled.

My wife’s Astra Sport 1.8 of similar vintage was a much better car to drive and not much cheaper to look at or be in.

The B7 Passat I have now is more fun to drive.

Xylene
    Free Member

Get the GT Diesel 150BHP with a remap taking it close to 200

Or the 180 1.8T anniversary edition.

Or an R32 Mk4 that would be nice.

OR a mk3 Vr6

Or a 1990 Polo G40

Just not the 2.0 GTI Mk4 as it was shite.

fizik
    Free Member

I had a mk4 “gti” easily the worst car I have ever owned and wish i hadnt have bought it but then it was cheaper and had lower miles than any tdi i could find. Terrible handling, which would apply to most mk4 golfs, crashy ride not great on country roads and drank fuel and oil. It would pull ok once up to speed and was a good cruiser but dont expect it to excite you. My caddy mk2 tdi was faster and more fun to drive. As others have said go tdi if you are set on a golf, or you could be a bit more imaginative and buy something else.

renton
    Free Member

Surprised there has only been one recommendation for the 2.3 v5.

I had one in 170bhp guise and it was pretty quick considering the weight of the mk4.

They also sound nicer than a boring 1.8t.

You will probably find they are also less sort after by the Barry boy brigade so haven’t been messed around with.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘MK IV Golf 2.0 GTI – any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.