Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • mk 2 Kaffenback????
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

This was mentioned on a previous post anyone got any infomation before I get my mk1 kaff resprayed

Tiger6791

http://www.flickr.com/photos/placid_casual/sets/72157625764526755/

and if you’ve got a medium old one I’ll buy it off you 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

I want one we like that especially if there is less toe overlap

time for a phone call to uncle dave

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    placid_casual
    Free Member

kaffenback and bob yak by placid casual, on Flickr
    it’s true. i’ve currently got a prototype to test and i’m delighted to say that it is everything i’d hoped for.
    my original kaffenback has covered 8000 miles in the last 4 years. mostly to work and back, but some trips further afield, including last year’s tour of flanders sportive.
    for 150 quid, it is a lovely, comfortable steel framed bike with a position that i like very much (exactly the same geometry as my pompinos i think).
    the mark 2 version has replaceable drop-outs, meaning that you can run discs, fixed, single etc. this has meant some tweaks to the stays, but it all looks very nice, especially in the sand colour that still gets positivive comments (most of the time).
    i’ve done 300 miles on this prototype, most of them towing a bob yak. the discs are invaluable in stopping the load. the steel frame and the 28 section tyres on 29er rims make for a smooth, fast rolling tourer that should easily clock up the miles.
    i’m not sure on plans for putting these into production – worth a call to rotherham…

fourbanger
    Free Member

My GF’s has a slightly longer top tube than my Pomp.

Rik
    Free Member

Placid – what’s the tyre clearances like? The on one seat stay design always produces huge clearances at the top, but what about the chainstays? What kind of rubber size could you run? 42c? Bigger?

Tiger6791

So who wants rid of one of the old soon to be very out of date old ones?

Medium please

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you run discs and singlespeed on it?

Don’t see the need for swap-outs, I guess they make wheel removal easier than slot dropouts.

ahwiles
    Free Member

oh gosh, that’s quite handsome.

dammit, i’ve already got 3 road bikes, surely 1 more is a good idea?

Rik
    Free Member

Bump – to see if Placid is around

saladdodger
    Free Member

Placid

I have both a first run of both the pompino and Kaffanback which are about 7 years old and they are the best handling road bikes I have ever owned ( argos customs x2 look and litespeed)

My presant Kaff need a respray but I will hold fire because I had a chat with Planet X today and they expect delivery late april

Just one question does it ride any better than the mk1 Kaff ????

placid_casual
    Free Member

Mr Dodger, it rides very similarly to the original although difficult to make direct comparison as the new one has 29er mtb wheels and 28 section tyres.. the old one was great – the new one, with the added flexibility of discs, ss, fixed etc will be even better. it does need a second set of eyelets on the back though…

Rik, it’s huge.
    Dunno about 42s, but I’ve had 32s and guards on both the pomp and the kaff. I’ve added a load more pictures for you to check out those stays…

kaffenback mark 2 by placid casual, on Flickr

saladdodger
    Free Member

Thanks for that I will see what the fun police say (aka the wife)

Rik
    Free Member

Nice – cheers for that Placid

Being a bit cheeky but if you have the time any chance of a photo of the chain stay clearance from underneath the bike??

No worries if you cant but would be massively appreciated

tinribz
    Free Member

Really liking those pics, what’s that chainset?

Plus what are Kaffs like to ride, are they a bit over-built or do they have a little flex?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have both a first run of both the pompino and Kaffanback which are about 7 years old and they are the best handling road bikes I have ever owned ( argos customs x2 look and litespeed)

And comfortable to boot

Baldysquirt

has anyone heard anything more bout these since?

Rik
    Free Member

Paul – Email On one they were very helpful about info on the Ti version – think they said that was arriving Sept time ish.

Just back from a very windy 35 miles on my freaky road bike up and down as many hills as I could fit in!

grum
    Free Member

I might sell my medium old one and get a new small one when they’re out – I am on the border between medium/small and I think the medium is a teeny bit long for me.

Unless I am just a girly man who can’t handle the road bike position.

Baldysquirt

I’m a short fella, so would rather a small, I think – but would be happy enough with a second hand MK1 if anyone had one going.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

That does look good! I’m trying to fit a road bike into my stable and was thinking of the Genesis equilibrium/croix de fer but might also consider this. How does it compare to a proper road bike?

Looks like it would be a better tourer than a road bike, is that what it’s aimed at?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think it’s a bit more general purpose but whack some 23mm tyres on it and it will go as fast as any road bike.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

yeah, the more I look at it that’s what I see. Looks lovely for a sunday cruiser and tourer. Aw well, I need 2 new bikes now 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Just noticed it has disks, woop!

newro97
    Free Member

i emailed planet x about the mark 2 and they said it should be in in around 8 weeks. that was about 12 weeks ago so should be due any time soon.
    Unconfirmed price of around £175.

Moses

Does anyone want a blue Dragon Kafenback frame & forks, 17″?
    It’s too nice-looking for me to ever use it.
    Mail in profile, but I’m now going away for the weekend.

Baldysquirt

Moses, did you get my mail re: frame?

I got an email from Planet X. Frames due in July, have asked for the price, but not heard back yet.

Baldysquirt

Had a chat with the Guys at PX / On-One at MM this weekend. The new Kaffenback frames are currently being painted and are expected towards the end of next month: black and “sort of metallic copper”. Frame should be around £180-190 as it will have swap outs, and the fork will be around £40.

simon1975

Hmm… The chap I spoke to on the stand didn’t know anything about them!

If the production frames do get swapouts, I imagine they’ll market them as “Pompetamine MkII” too.

Baldysquirt

yeah, I did get referred to someone else as the first two guys had no idea. The frames are apparently all fabricated and are just getting painted up. I’m not sure about metallic copper – could be very much love / hate.

daveyroids
    Free Member

Thanks placid for the pics the new Kaff looks interesting. I already have a Pompino which I use for commuting and find that its one of the most comfortable bikes I have owned. looking forward to buying the MK 2 Kaffenback, plenty of options.

I phoned Planet X 2 days ago and they informed me that the new Kaffenback will arrive late next month. Looks like its the usual story when a new product is to be launched, setbacks! Should be worth the wait though.

20thebear
    Free Member

Anyone got any news on this?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Looks brilliant. Any ideas on the weight of the frame and forks? Compared to, say, a Salsa Casseroll which it’d be replacing?
    Cheers

fourbanger
    Free Member

Anyone got a medium Kaff Mk1 for sale yet?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mowgli – Member
    Looks brilliant. Any ideas on the weight of the frame and forks? Compared to, say, a Salsa Casseroll which it’d be replacing?
    Cheers

My 2009 57 Casseroll (which has disc mounts added and is FOR SALE!) weighs 2.2kg frame and 800gm fork. My Pompetamine (which I understand is similar tubing and probs a bit lighter once swap-outs added) is 2.4kg and the Pomp forks are 1.1kg IIRC.

paulpalf
    Free Member

@20thebear – got an email from them last week which said they are still expecting them in august

Mowgli
    Free Member

Cheers Al, that’s useful. Will be good to see how the kaff 2 compares. The Salsa is hefty enough, and I’m not sure I want to replace it with something heavier.

As an aside, was it fine using a 135mm disk hub in the casseroll? I’ve not seen any 130mm disk hubs.

atlaz
    Free Member

I could probably sneak one of those past the mrs without much trouble as a commuter.

Olly
    Free Member

My My that IS pretty.
    can i request a change or two though please?

can we get rid of the zip tie on hose mounts on the down tube, and replace them with a Cable stop. Ideally, one at the top next to the gears, and one on the chain stay, to connect it to the caliper, with a “sliding” bottom bracket style run, like the gears are…
    that or just mount a stop on the bottom bracket, n run outer from there.

i realise this would negate hydro brakes, but it would look SO much cleaner without the hose down the down tube.
    also hide the V brake stops under the top tube?

other than that, it ties up all the tiny little niggles i have with my inbred tourer

Could be tempted with a kaffenback frame for this though (and change to drop bars and cable brakes)

newro97
    Free Member

i emailed them today and was told mid September been waiting a while now…..!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘mk 2 Kaffenback????’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts