Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • MJ-872 or MJ-856 lights?
  • pobaker
    Free Member

Hi,

Have done some searches and realise there are a few topics on “which lights”, however couldnt find answers to these questions – anyone out there have any experience before I pull the trigger on some lights;

Tthe MJ-856 lights seem to be ‘better’ in terms of heat dispersement, but they are no where near as widely available on the internet and almost unmentioned in forums – whats the catch are there some downsides. The MJ-872’s seem to get all the attention.

A couple of online places are now selling (both) these lights with ‘open light’ batteries which seem to be much better quality (panasonic) and available in varying capacities to last longer. How much better are they (eg no one on ebay sells with these batteries, is it worth the premium, or should I just go low cost with the stock magicshine battery from ebay?).

Thanks for the help!!

abductee
    Free Member

Why XPG?

I don’t know if the graph is accurate

rob-jackson
    Free Member

open light battery?

Luminous
    Free Member

For quality batteries, hit-up Smudge from here or visit MTBbatteries.

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/

If you can only afford a budget light. Then Smudge sells one and a few folk from here have purchased lights from him. So it may be worth a search on here to see what others have to say about Smudge’s light.
    Decent bloke to deal with and UK based.

🙂

EDIT:
    Good customer service, etc.

martymac

+1 for smudge, he helped me out completely unsolicited, i will be using him for my next light.

Northwind

Smudge is a really good guy, and I’d definately go to him for batteries, but the XML light he sells doesn’t come close to competing on performance with the MJ-872 (or similiar), which costs the same.

OP- I think the 856 just isn’t as common so doesn’t have so much user experience. I looked at getting one but at the time they were a bit more expensive so I went for the 872 instead. But there’s a few other very similiar lights worth looking at.

pobaker
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member

open light battery?
    Posted 14 hours ago # Report-Post

http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/why_our_batteries_are_best.php

pobaker
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the input..

OP- I think the 856 just isn’t as common so doesn’t have so much user experience. I looked at getting one but at the time they were a bit more expensive so I went for the 872 instead. But there’s a few other very similiar lights worth looking at.

That was also my conclusion, I think they’re both pretty much the same. The 856 seems to be available with a proper mount rather than o-rings, £10 difference in price might sway me on that. Any specific other models you’re thinking of?

z1ppy

The MJ-872 is a great light but IMO surpassed now, I’d be looking at alternatives such as:

Neninja’s Dual Inton or smaller glow worm units
    Currently out of stock but the XML T6 [last model back] or MJ-880 units are available on the bay and else where. I have friends with Neninja’s and MJ-872, and the Inton would be what I’d buy, but only as a bar unit.

Torchy’s Fluxient Triple XML Unknown quality at the moment with potentially huge outputs, but IIRC the MJ-856 was first sold under the fluxient branding. The worry with this is that there won’t be enough heat dissipation, as the dual XML Inton’s get around this by being a huge/heavy heatsink. We await real world reports, but again I’d suggest it would be only useful as a bar light.

Some useful info & beam shots on Torchy’s website

Though for me my next unit will actually probably be a small dual XML unit for helmet unit. Neninja’s is on the link above, Smudge will have one out soon or you can take the risk on a chinese one here.

As for batteries, I’d just run what ever you get with the unit until it dies, the worry about another (or talk to Smudge)

grum
    Free Member

On another thread someone was recommending this as a budget option.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230825016348#ht_5845wt_922

mboy
    Free Member

Why XPG?

Mountain bike lights need to be useable, it’s not just about having outright power. In every case I’ve seen, a unit with multiple XPG’s (Trout, Exposure, Four 4ths, Hope etc.) provides a better, more usable beam pattern for off road riding than a single XML equivalent can do, for similar power consumption. OK, a multi XML head unit is likely to blow both into the weeds, but I’d rather have multi XPG’s than a single XML every time…

If you want to try an example of a light that’s ideal for offroad use, cos it just gives a massive flood of light everywhere, with no hotspots, but not so bright as to whiten everything, try a Troutie Liberator. Then compare it to a cheap XML light and you’ll see what I mean!

z1ppy

Grum it may be a great unit, but it’s a single XML vs 4x XP-G, it might be brighter but it’s no-where near as useful as light as the 872.

Saying that, WOW the price is silly cheap.. buy three and a Y connector, run one on the helmet, and two on the bars from one battery using the Y connector…

PS. If the OP is sold on the 872 vs the 856, I’d go for the better heat dissipation of the 856.

EDIT: As you can see I’d agree with Mboy for usability, but as a testing the water (into night riding), the XML (or even the older P7) is brilliant unit.

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up guys 🙂

The first few V2000 arrived yesterday and first impressions are excellent, easy to use controls 2 off to do some tests with them over the next couple of days. 2x XML leds and more than light enough for both helmet and bar use. Photos to appear on FB and the website shortly.
    sample pictures

The V2 had a good write up in this MBUK

Any questions please fell free to ask away via email

neninja
    Free Member

Cheers z1ppy

There’s still £20 off the Gloworm X2 but only until 15th September using the code GLOWORM20

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘MJ-872 or MJ-856 lights?’ is closed to new replies.