Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Mixing tyres – a first world issue.
  • crashrash

So – I have a Maxxis DHR2 on the back end of my T129 – it fits and it grips in most conditions. Thing is I fancy a magic mary on the front! Or should I be looking at Maxxis so it matches/looks pretty?!

Rickos
    Free Member

I use Magic Mary on the front and High Roller II on the rear. Makes an excellent year round combo. Forget pretty – I don’t think anyone notices anyway.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Function over form. I run a a MM on the front and DHR2 on the back and find it a pretty much winning combo all year round

astormatt
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t mix brands, just looks wrong to me….
    But it’s your bike, if you want to try it, crack on.

jruk
    Free Member

I’m considering this exact combo… But different logos on tyres just seems wrong. Hans Dampf on the back or are they shite?

breadcrumb

You can’t see the logos when you’re riding!

Seriously stop being such a tart, if a tyre performs the way you want it to why compromise because it’s got a different logo?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Seriously stop being such a tart

+1 eloquently put

docgeoffyjones

I use Magic Mary on the front and High Roller II on the rear. Makes an excellent year round combo. Forget pretty – I don’t think anyone notices anyway.

+1 really like this combo

Kahurangi

to the logos

dumbbot
    Free Member

I use a WTB vigilante tcs high grip on the front(£13 from on one) and a Specialized purgatory grid on the rear.

Cheap and functional.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t mind mixing tyres offroad. On-road I would be loathe to for some reason.

chiefgrooveguru

I think that set-up makes a lot of sense – Maxxis don’t really make a Magic Mary equivalent. My all-Maxxis solution for a front tyre to pair with a DHR2 2.3 rear is a Shorty 2.5 for half the year and a DHF 2.5 for the other half.

Speeder

nononononononononononononononononononononononono

It’s just wrong – please think of the children

😆

Stoner
    Free Member

NEVER mix Crossply and radial tyres.

Do you not remember the warnings on TV?

oikeith

During the winter I rocked Hans Dampf front and rear, picked up a new bike in Feb and moved the trusty hans over. But now its dried up somewhat Ive dropped the rear Hansfor a Specialized Slaughter and love it and my OCD about matching tyres hasnt gone mad.

Have just picked up a new Magic Mary Addix Soft for the front and am looking forward to seeing how much grip it offers over the Hans.

The new bike came with a Specialized Butcher which when the poor weather returns I think I might chuck on the back, has anyone else run this tyre on the rear? it looks like a DHF which I have read people have run on the rear before with no issues.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I mix wheels. Usually because I’ve broken one and got a non-matching spare.

faustus

Your first thought is what is the best tool for the job, as you want different things for front and rear. The name on the tyre has naff all to do with it. Definitely make sure both tyres are black though.

Digby

NEVER mix Crossply and radial tyres.

That’s exactly the ‘Public Service Announcement’ I thought of when I saw this thread …shortly followed by Rolf Harris saying ‘Kids and water …’

deadkenny
    Free Member

Digby – Member 
    That’s exactly the ‘Public Service Announcement’ I thought of when I saw this thread …shortly followed by Rolf Harris saying ‘Kids and water …’

It’s alright so long as you ‘Clunk, Click’ as Jimmy Savile would say.

Stoner
    Free Member

this one still ***** me up

Digby

this one still ***** me up

Yeah … it was kindof like a ‘John Carpenter’ short film …

‘Sensible Children’ with the creepy voice of Donald Pleasence always spooked me …

pahoehoe
    Free Member

My OCD is struggling with the white oem maxxis logo of the ardent on the rear with the yellow maxxis of the dhf on the front.

DHF for the win.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Only an absolute savage mixes tyre brands.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only an absolute drag queen matches tyre brands.

FTFY 😀

I can’t have matching brands, and tbh I have a kinda reverse OCD about it anyway!, as I love a Mary up front, but will never ever have a schwalbe on the rear again. Mary up front, slaughter grid on the rear.

The first consideration of a tyre is the tread, not the brand.

YMMV.

deadkenny
    Free Member

pahoehoe – Member 
    My OCD is struggling with the white oem maxxis logo of the ardent on the rear with the yellow maxxis of the dhf on the front.

OEM vs retail mix there 😉

Though my annoyance is when the Maxxis logo matches up the middle of the Xs to the valve on one side but is slightly off on the other side.

philjunior
    Free Member

My OCD would struggle, but as long as you have something grippier on the front it doesn’t really matter.

My OCD wonders whether differences in the treads or compounds could lead to the front gripping better in almost all situations and bad things therefore happening, but it doesn’t really matter as sometimes the front end washes out on a root or something anyway…

rocketman
    Free Member

wohhhhhhhh Maxxis + Onza

go me

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

4 MTBs in my house

1 – Nobby Nic Rear & HR II Front
    2 – Nobby Nic Front & Bonty XR rear
    3 – HRII Front & Schwable Black shark rear
    4 – HR Front & Schwable Black Shark rear

However this is a recent development as I have been HR and then HRII front and year for some time.

EDIT – I also have mis matched Hubs… 😈

Bez

I haven’t got my reading glasses on, so this looks like a child shaking hands with Mr Potato Head.

Del

James, I wouldn’t stick a scwalbe on the rear where we ride. Too fragile IMO.

ogden
    Free Member

Got a Mary on the front, I’ve been wondering what to put on the rear for months.

poah
    Free Member

I mix my tyres and don’t GAF about logo’s lining up either – if that kinda shit bothers you buy a road bike and wear lycra.

Kahurangi

Got a Mary on the front, I’ve been wondering what to put on the rear for months

I’d really like something half way between a Magic Mary and a Rock Razor for that perfect 3-season tread pattern.

patriotpro
    Free Member

poah – Member
    I mix my tyres and don’t GAF about logo’s lining up either – if that kinda shit bothers you buy a road bike and wear lycra.

And we have a winner!

andy4d

Do not mix brands. Not only does it invalidate your warranty but your insurance won’t pay out if you have an accident or the bike is nicked. I once got an email from maxis threatening legal action and to desist from posting pictures of my bike with a maxis front/schwalble rear claiming it damaged their brand image.

Don’t do it folks 😀

Bez

And we have a winner!

Surely only beatable by,

“if u like coordination so much why dont u fk off an live there”

#makemountainbikinggreatagain

honourablegeorge

Jon Taylor – Member

I’d really like something half way between a Magic Mary and a Rock Razor for that perfect 3-season tread pattern.

Yeah – those two are great, but the NN & HD are lacking, they need some sort of DHR2

crashrash

Well I shall be sticking with my DHR2 rear and getting a MM for the front end! Maybe some yelow sricky backed plastic to make some letters……..

Poopscoop

Forget OCD, it’s just morally wrong to mix tyre brands. 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Mixing tyres – a first world issue.’ is closed to new replies.