Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mixing tyre sizes on a road bike.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Thinking 25c on the front and 23c on the rear.

Can be anything dodgy in that can there?

hmanchester
    Free Member

It would be fine but normally done the other way round. More weight goes on the back.

What’s your reasoning?

crikey
    Free Member

Why?

I can’t see any problem, other than a remote possibility that you will bump over or up something and the rear tyre might puncture.

I’d go 23 front if I had to; more cushion on the rear.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Having different tyres is bad enough. Having different size tyres will get the Velominati on you.

bencooper
    Free Member

If you can even spot the difference between a 23c and a 25c tyre, I’d be astounded…

djglover
    Free Member

As an ex DH racer this is intuative, but I doubt you put anywhere near as much weight over the front on a road bike, so I wouldn’t think there is much benefit from that point of view

hmanchester
    Free Member

I should have added that I actually have a 23 on the front and 28 on the rear of my commuter. Not intentionally, it it just came like that, but it works well enough not to change.

Virtually zero difference in rolling resistance from 23/25 and even 28. Well compared to the actually noticeable difference in comfort and grip.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You can buy odd tyres – conti attack/force, narrow front, wider rear. out and out race tyres.

changing the width of the front, can make steering feel odd ime. wider tyres make steering feel slower, and you can tell.
    Changing the rear will make very little difference, although you may hear that wider tyres are more comfortable

geetee1972
    Free Member

Virtually zero difference in rolling resistance from 23/25 and even 28. Well compared to the actually noticeable difference in comfort and grip.

I’ve read in a few different places now that rolling resistance decreases as you increase the tyre size, up to 28c beyond which other factors counter the effect.

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’ve also read that in a few places. Something to do with the footprint becoming shorter and fatter compared to longer and thinner. If it’s up or down then we’re talking pretty small figures.

It would be interesting to see what pro’s train on. I’m guessing that 25/28 is very common for comfort and puncture reasons. In fact I would wager that pro level riders probably train on more comfortable tyres than your average MAMIL!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mixing tyre sizes on a road bike.’ is closed to new replies.