Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mixing Sram & shimano
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Im thinking of upgrading my lads bike, cassette & deraileur,thing is hes got all Sram,can i use a shimano cassette & deraileur with Sram levers,will they index ok ???…

Drac

Yeah they work fine.

jam-bo

Cassette yes, mechs no.

Northwind

Cassette yes, shifters maybe. Fronts are compatible as long as you stay with the same number of speeds, rears aren’t compatible at all without fannying around.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Good consistent advice here then.

Northwind

It’s good innit.

Actually I have no idea if fronts are also compatible between 9 and 10, nobody cares enough to find out. I imagine doubles could be made to work, at least one way if not both. Oh and 10-speed Shimano road shifters are compatible with 9 speed Shimano MTB shifters, because Shimano are weirdos.

My Soda has an X9 9 speed front and an XTR 10-speed rear on now, it shifts perfectly but I’m concerned it might cause a rift in space and time.

duirdh
    Free Member

I get Sramano

Northwind

Mechs! I meant mechs!

neilm
    Free Member

Why not just upgrade with SRAM parts?

m0rk
    Free Member

Surely that’s an oxymoron? 🙂

martinhurton
    Free Member

I use SRAM cassette, chain and shifters with shimano mechs and crank but my shifters are SRAM Attack shifters, which are shimano compatible.

You’ll need to know which shifters he has if you are changing the mech (unless you go like for like).

nickc

shimano cassette & deraileur with Sram levers,will they index ok ???…

depends…front mechs mostly OK, rear mechs if the mech is a number (X5 X7 etc ) then no it won’t shift a shimano mech with SRAM shifter, or vice versa. If the SRAM mech has a name (Attack, rocket etc) then it will. Cassette/chain mix is fine

bryan-g-

Front mech works fine, I have an xo and every thing else is XT XTR

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mixing Sram & shimano’ is closed to new replies.