Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mixed up wheelset?
  • thebunk

Ordered some Crests for the SO last weekend in time for our holiday in Wales next week – Hope have pushed back delivery times AGAIN so they won't come in time.

The shop I ordered them with have some Flows in stock, and they also have a 355 front only.

She doesn't need the strength of the Flows, but rather than wait would it be really stupid to get her a 355 front and a Flow rear? Would she notice? That combination is just over 100g more than a set of Crests, and 100g lighter than a set of Flows – worth it?

Ta for the collective advice of the wise sages of the wonderful site that is the Singletrack forum,

thebunk

Jamie
    Free Member

I would suggest just getting the flows.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Would she notice

guarantee the only was she will notice is if she looks at the stickers …..

njee20
    Free Member

guarantee the only was she will notice is if she looks at the stickers …..

+1

On the other hand, if the 355 is more appropriate, I'd be inclined to wait for that, can you not get a loan wheel from somewhere or anything?

thebunk

Normally I'd say just wait till the Crests arrive, but it could make a difference to her enjoyment of camping in North Wales, seeing as she has to put up with her husband trying to ride far above his ability, crashing, then getting drunk and whining about his grazes in the evenings.

Basically her current wheels are my hand me downs from way back when – they're making funny grinding noises, and the stupid things are locked solid so I can't service them. They also weigh a ton.

I suppose I could lend her my 355s, and take her rubbishy wheels. That would be the gentlemanly thing to do 😕

njee, will you lend my wife some wheels?

njee20
    Free Member

I only have one pair, and I'm racing this weekend, apologies!

cynic-al
    Free Member

a lighter front rim makes sense to me, and I've run that before. But she should have what she wants at that price. Ask a mate for a loaner?

Mike
    Free Member

Buy the Flows, stick em on your bike and put the 355's on hers…then you have a XC and burly wheelset for the future, simples 😉

thebunk

Most of my mates don't actually mountain bike (I know, imagine!) – my brother does, but *only* has the one set of wheels.

But basic consensus is, it doesn't really matter? Apart from on an OCD level of things not matching, which I totally understand. I'll offer to do what Mike said – I tried to do that so that I could get the Crests, but she was having none of it!

njee20, whatever man – you're nothing to me now 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mixed up wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.