Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mix two microphones into one input for Zoom
  • TheFlyingOx

Just wondering if anyone knows the easiest way to do this.
    The wife is doing a regular group call where she and one other are in the same room and talking together. Single microphone isn’t working very well because they’re pretty active throughout the call and only really picks them up when they’re close to it. We’ve tried a Bluetooth microphone which works great for one of them but wondering how we could add another one and then combine them into a single input for Zoom. I’m guessing some kind of software audio mixer but no real idea what to look for.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve done something once on a mac where you can configure it to use two input channels and treat it as one mic source. I’d say given the hassle involved in setting that up and getting the volume balance right etc – I would look to get a wee hardware mixer if I had to do it again. I may be wrong, but I doubt its easier on a PC.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Conference microphone?

Cheap one here – https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-USB-Conference-Microphone/1FKC?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjww4OMBhCUARIsAILndv7lB8TIICA5FxoYdzytITxwNPbEzeb4fDpqf-unXwNCsLKUMyH7vVIaAlozEALw_wcB

You can switch between that and a personal microphone (headset probably) when needed. I do this to switch between my headset and my webcam microphone when I need a break or a change from either.

larryduff

You could perhaps use a USB audio interface with 2 mic inputs such as the Mackie Onyx Producer for example.

oldtennisshoes

Edit – what Larry said

verses

I’ve never tried it, but this sounds pretty straightforward
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47474584/windows-10-use-2-microphones-without-mixing-inputs

bridges
    Free Member

I think for multiple mic inputs, you’ll need some kind of audio input hardware device, or possibly you could use something like this for very basic 3.5mm jack mics:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-cable-assemblies/1929473/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Cables_%26_Wires_Whoop-_-Jack+Cable+Assemblies_Whoop-_-1929473&matchtype=&pla-310381468052&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuzCqLL58wIVRAOLCh0uGAXdEAQYCCABEgIglfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But then I think something like that might need some sort of amplifier unit as well.

I’ve used a Røde lapel mic which plugs into a ‘phone, and uses an app to do the audio processing stuff. Sp perhaps some sort of app-based solution, with a simple splitter like the one above, might work. Otherwise, it seems to be fairly expensive ‘professional’ audio type hardware mixer units.

On a Mac at least, Audio MIDI Setup is the app you need to ‘aggregate’ multiple audio input sources. I have no idea if this would work with Zoom etc.

oldtennisshoes

I like @Bridges approach – can’t get much simpler 🤔

Jakester
    Free Member

You could perhaps use a USB audio interface with 2 mic inputs such as the Mackie Onyx Producer for example.

I have done this since we started using Zoom etc regularly. USB audio interface with two inputs, independently control the levels of each channel on the interface, and it just inputs into Zoom which sees one incoming signal. We successfully used it for guitar lessons, with mic and electric guitar, both of which were usable at the same time.

I use an MAudio Air 192/4 but that’s only because that was the only one I could get at the time. Any interface or mixer with USB capability should be fine.

bridges
    Free Member

I like @Bridges approach – can’t get much simpler 🤔

You say that; it’s dependent on the computer having a 3.5mm mic input; my M1 iMac doesn’t. 🙁 I don’t know if there’s an inexpensive solution to that, but then I don’t need any mics beyond the inbuilt ones, which are really good anyway.

EDIT: It appears there is!

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg3326/usb-c-to-audio-adaptor/dp/AV28731?mckv=s_dc%7Cpcrid%7C426684131033%7Ckword%7C%7Cmatch%7C%7Cplid%7C%7Cslid%7C%7Cproduct%7CAV28731%7Cpgrid%7C100371158798%7Cptaid%7Cpla-1456336037211%7C&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131033!!!network%7D!1456336037211!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgMqWl7_58wIVkOJ3Ch2nQgVDEAQYBSABEgICqPD_BwE

oldtennisshoes

rossburton
    Free Member

Something like the Jabra Speak speakerphones have better mics designed for picking up a room of people, and can connect over bluetooth so you can just put it in the middle of the people.

willard

I fear we are underthinking this. Shirley the best way is to double down on the situation and go “full on production”?

https://www.podcasthero.com/product-category/11974031-mixers/

simon_g

This will do it in software if you’ve got two USB devices/headsets to use: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

As said though, if they’re talking together in the same room then a USB conference speaker like a Jabra Speak would probably be a simpler solution.

TheFlyingOx

Bit delayed but an update if anyone’s looking for a similar solution. Tried that voicemeeter software but couldn’t get it to work at all. Hardware mixer might have worked but still didn’t solve the walking and talking requirement. Ended up with a pair of wireless lamelier microphones that sync up to a single USB receiver, about £80 on Amazon. Sound quality is superb and being wireless she’s free to jump about the room like a lunatic, which has worked out well for all involved given that’s kinda the point of the zoom sessions in the first place.

Ta for the advice all, might not have been right for us but at least it got me thinking on the right track.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mix two microphones into one input for Zoom’ is closed to new replies.