Mix and Match Disc Calipers / Levers

Home Forum Bike Forum Mix and Match Disc Calipers / Levers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mix and Match Disc Calipers / Levers
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

“Why not….”

Why?

Shimano are all compatable with each other, I believe.

why you’d want to risk running parts across manufacturers where there’s no standards for the amount of movement in a caliper for a certain lever throw or even any standard on what they fill the things with is beyond me.

Rorschach

Formula use dot fluid and shimano use mineral.The internal seals are not compatible with different brake fluid.
    That and leverage ratios-how much oil the lever displaces compared to the caliper (piston diameter vs stroke).

Selled

why you’d want to risk running parts across manufacturers where there’s no standards for the amount of movement in a caliper for a certain lever throw or even any standard on what they fill the things with is beyond me.

– Not a very patronizing answer……
    This is why I asked the question. Sometimes marketing leads us to beleive this is not possible, I always like to question why before spending out something when I allready have a good working pair just in case something is possible.

Selled

Thanks Rorschach… that makes sense.

bigyinn

I of someone on here who has managed to bodge Hope levers with Shimano calipers for the fun of it, by swapping some seals around.
    But different leverage ratios and fluid types normally mean its not possible.
    Although all Shimano stuff is compatible, BUT Im not sure about the latest 2011 Deore / XT / XTR yet.
    Stick to same stuff if you can.

Selled

Looking for new brakes, have been considering Shimano saint. Now I have seen on wiggle that the calipers and the levers are sold seperatly. Does anyone know if I can use the levers from my formula brakes on Shimano Calipers? Part of me thinks “No way, there must be some sort of difference”, the other part of me thinks “Why not….”

Appreciate any info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mix and Match Disc Calipers / Levers’ is closed to new replies.