Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Missing Strava Segments? Garmin Edge 820
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Three rides in using my new Edge 820 and I’ve not quite gelled with it so far. Obviously there’s an element of user error / lack of knowledge but…

The first ride was local and fine. Well apart from the screen constantly going off due to a power saving mode (I’m used to my Edge 500 being on and visible all the time). Easily rectified.

Second ride involved using an uploaded TCX file to ride an unfamiliar route/location. There were numerous navigational mistakes and lots of stop/start riding which I was hoping to avoid, hence the upgrade to the Edge 820. The device was constantly informing me I was off course. Almost like the TCX I was following (created in 2011 I believe) was 20M+ off?

Then today I rode a well known, regular route. All seemed well. I got home and uploaded the route via Garmin Express and when checking Strava the final third of the ride segments are missing? So I clicked on the link regarding missing segments and it informs me that ‘Your Activity seems to have taken the wrong direction or path near the start of the Segment’.

The only thing I can think of is that the new Edge 820 is more accurate from a GPS perspective? GPS+GLONASS setting instead of the standard GPS? Anyone else had similar problems/issues?

funkweasel
    Free Member

I’ve only been out with mine a couple of times and I can’t say I’ve noticed that…. but I haven’t really paid attention.

jam-bo

Is it smart recording or 1s sampling?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Morning jam bo, it’s set to smart sampling. From what I’ve just read the Garmin automatically reduces the sampling time if nothing interesting is happening. It also doesn’t agree with Strava from a GPS/location perspective.

I did have a breather just before the final section which may have triggered reduced sampling? Not sure. Just frustrating everything else was fine up to that point. I’ll set to 1 sec sampling and test again.

Thanks

psycorp
    Free Member

Some reviews I’ve seen of the 820 are complaining that the GPS tracking isn’t very accurate, which is a problem for a GPS tracking unit.

I was considering getting one but this put me off.

andysredmini
    Free Member

It Could be that your garmin is more accurate than the device the segment was created on. If it happens again try the compare results page and if your two lines match up then it will give you an idea of how accurate the tracking is. Also click a few other people and compare.
    You could always just create a new segment of it bothers you that much.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I think there’s two aspects to the teething issues I’ve experienced.

Firstly, following a route, I believe the E820 maps and tracking to be more accurate than the recorded route/TCX file I was following.

Secondly, the Strava segment issue, it looks like the originally recorded segment is the more accurate. So we started in the same place but then my recording goes off. Almost like it was straightening out the route/segment?

The strange thing is I took two breaks/breathers. Both in the same place. The longer break of the two was the first but it recorded the following descent before losing track of the segments (even though the whole ride was recorded)?? I’ve changed to sampling/recording rate for now and see how that pans out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Missing Strava Segments? Garmin Edge 820’ is closed to new replies.