Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Missing spoke in the front wheel?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

I was just trying to fix a broken spoke(snapped nipple) there but while trying to get the old nipple off it snapped at the bottom on the thread rendering that spoke useless, so i need a new spoke which i’m not getting before tomorrow. It’s the front wheel(32hole) non-braking side and the wheel is still fairly true(midges baw hair away if not). what do you think, should be fine for a 20/25 mile or so trek tomorrow?

sharki
    Free Member

I’d say fine for the day,others will say you’ll die.

I ran a rear wheel on my HT for a year with a spoke missing and 2 others bent and i’m still here.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye i’m of the opinion it’ll be fine myself, just curious to others opinions, cheers.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Fine…ride. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should be OK

PiknMix
    Free Member

only one way to find out 😉

imnotamused
    Free Member

I spent a full day in les arcs in the same situation and I was fine. Sure you’ll be ok, just insure your face before you head out…

singletracksurfer

broken 2-3 spokes on a ride with no option but to carry on, for whole day (or two!) of riding.

both i and the wheel live on….

BigJohn

Never quite sure of what “non-braking side” or “non-drive side” means.

Does the hub deform so much that the stresses don’t get transferred to the other flange?

cynic-al
    Free Member

non braking side = side without disc on it.

non drive side = side without gears on it.

Hub does not deform at all, the remaining spokes are in theory under less tension but the whole wheel is slightly imbalanced and so vulnerable to a hit in the wrong place.

DT78
    Free Member

Depends on the trail. I popped a rear spoke on the whites level climb, carried on to ride whites and then the wall.

Wheel was decidedly egg shaped when I got back and that was with a strong rim (ex721).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Missing spoke in the front wheel?’ is closed to new replies.