Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Mispronounced cycling brand names
  • colournoise

The American climbing scale originally went 1-2-3-4 then 5 with decimal point additions eg 5.6 or 5.9 with 5.10 being the highest (it is currently 5.15a I think). The company initially made rock shoes before branching out. So five-ten definitely.

Wouldn’t it be “five point ten” then?

And I know we’ve already covered Cotic, but I have a BFe and really struggle to say “beefy” which I THINK is correct?

tdog
    Free Member

Try pronouncing Bontrager or Raleigh with a lisp.

All hell breaks loose on the bike shop floor 😂

nedrapier

I have a BFe and really struggle to say “beefy” which I THINK is correct?

Nope. It’s “boo-FAY”, like the French say “buffet”, or Phoebe “Buffé” off of that “Friends”.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I always assumed that Schwalbe, being German, should be pronounced Shvalbuh, not Shwolby; Schwalbe being German for Swallow (the bird, not an instruction).

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t the sound of W dependent on your accent in Germany?

EDIT just googled this, massive can of worms!

whitestone
    Free Member

BFe is pronounced as “beefy”, a pun on the chemical symbol for iron.

5.10 is “Five Ten”, it’s how the American climbing grade is spoken, no “point” or “dot”.

johnx2
    Free Member

Oh Raleigh?

JackHammer

Commencal – Commical, commissal, commenckal

scaredypants

w-w-as-was

Ive only ever seen it was-was-was

May I suggest a revision to “w-w-as-was not was-was-was”

(I liked the original)

scruff9252

“The American climbing scale originally went 1-2-3-4 then 5 with decimal point additions eg 5.6 or 5.9 with 5.10 being the highest (it is currently 5.15a I think). The company initially made rock shoes before branching out. So five-ten definitely.”

That is a frankly absurd way of counting – you say 5.10 / 5.15 is the hardest but you also have 5.2, 5.3. That is a basic failing in numeracy comprehension.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s not a number it’s a label.  Your nit picking of it is absurd.

It’s the same as how version 2.10 of something comes after 2.9.  The dot isn’t a decimal point in this system.

wwaswas

Dr Dre = Deirdre (deer-dree)

whitestone
    Free Member

@scruff9252 – the lower grades : 1, 2, 3, 4 are walking and scrambling grades. So you’ll hear American climbers talking about “3rd class” territory meaning easy scrambling. The 5th grade is for roped climbing.

Originally the subdivisions were decimal (hence the original name Yosemite Decimal System for the grading) and went up to ten, so 5.1 – 5.10 but then people became good and you got 5.10a, 5.10b, 5.10c and 5.10d. At this point the leading climbers realised they had a potential future problem and effectively dropped the “decimal” requirement of the name and you then got 5.11(a/b/c/d) and so on.

So the “5.” part of the grade is saying “roped climbing” and the second part is the level of difficulty.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

How do you pronounce Tange?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Isn’t the sound of W dependent on your accent in Germany?

Now you mention it, I do remember a German girl I knew pronounced “video” as “wideo”, so who knows?!

I always said Tange as in Tangerine, but then heard Tan-Gay.

orangespyderman

Lange ski boots are probably worth a (slightly offtopic) mention here.  Lang-er (as in clanger), Lang (as in clang) Lanj (as mange, the disease, but with a short a).  Heard ’em all.  Easier here in .fr as it’s pronounced like mange (eat) by just about everyone.

gnusmas

Beyoncé is pronounced bouncy. At least here it is.

A friend of mine says sch-warble instead os schwalbe

JackHammer

not a bike brand, but drivechain (arghghgh) that really grinds my gears (lol pun)

tdog
    Free Member

How do you pronounce Tange?

Me loves a bit of Tange Mange 😝

strike
    Free Member

“I always assumed that Schwalbe, being German, should be pronounced Shvalbuh”

Spot-on! “Shwolbee” annoys me….as does saying ‘Kartch-er” (it’s “Keer-sher”).

And for German ‘V’ is pronounced as an ‘F’ and ‘W’ pronounced as a ‘V’ – so VW would ‘Fow-Vay’.  Not sure why Germans, when speaking English, change a V to a W – typical example is ‘Wisitors’.

strike
    Free Member

Reading through previous posts and my favourite unknown has popped-up > Dakine

“Da-Kyne” or “Da-Keen-ee” ???

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Tange is tangay but I still can’t help saying tange as in flange.

Same with Ringle which is meant to be Ringly but I can’t get past Ringle as in Pringle.

Schwalbe is my worst offence as I say schwallaby.

I thought Ciocc was church too btw.

DezB
    Free Member

“I always assumed that Schwalbe, being German, should be pronounced Shvalbuh”

It’s one of those words you don’t say out loud and then you do and your brain goes.. ‘are you sure?’ 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I thought Cioch was church too btw.

The pronunciation or the meaning? It’s pronounced (as near as a sassenach can write it) “keeoch” with the ch as in loch. It means breast (as in Page 3!)

johnx2
    Free Member

Anyway, time to put on my ten past fives for a quick lunchtime ride.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Random factoid – my ex was quite tickled when i bought a bike with a SRAM group set. It apparently means “shit” in Polish.

Close but not exactly there.

“I poop” is actually what it is in Polish 🙂

Cheers!

I.

nick1962
    Free Member

For some reason I’ve always pronounced it May Vic.It was only last week when someone said Ma vic that I realised that I’ve been wrong all these years.

sirromj

This all stinks a bit of your anus IMHO.

PJM1974
    Free Member

“Completeflakycheesetoss!” SRAM’s BB bearing supplier/interface designer.

jabbi
    Free Member

B’twin = Between as in ‘between your legs’ best said in a comedy french accent.

MAVIC is an acronym = Manfacture d’Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel

Tinners

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Mispronounced cycling brand names’ is closed to new replies.