Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • mispronounced bike bits.
  • brakeswithface

Min svävare är full med ålar

dalesboyz
    Free Member

imy m8 had a Commencal an i always called it a common pencil 😛

plop_pants
    Free Member

Ksyrium. Not Ky-syrium, Kry-syrium, Ker-syrium, just Ksyrium, silent ‘K’!

juan
    Free Member

I though it was fairly obvious where the name commençal came from.
    Plus as for the cédille, it originate from the catalan and has been brought to the french in the XVI century with the emergence of printing. It was question in the XVI century to have a t cédille as well so people would be able to make a difference between t in “ceinture” or t in “adoption” for example.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting, Juan.

Nokia pronounced as know-kia, not knock-ia

It’s named after a town in Finland, so would probably be somewhere between the two in actual fact.

As for food – don’t get me started on jalapenos. I ask for them on pizzas and people say ‘oh you mean jalla pee nose’.

juan
    Free Member

molgrips don’t moan on jalapenos…
    I am called juan and I have yet to find someone not struggling with my name.

matthew_h
    Free Member

On the food subject, what’s the correct way of saying chorizo?

I’v always said it “chorrit zoh” but should the z be a “th” or should the ch be a “k”. Never really got to bottom of it and have been told that all are correct at one time or another.

ourmaninthenorth

splendid tagwork, whoever it was.

I can only lay claim for the TWM. The RLY wasn’t me (and came first, hence TWM).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

On the food subject, what’s the correct way of saying chorizo?

According to Spainish friends of mine, ‘Choreetho’, although the ‘th’ sound for the z is more ‘thin’ sounding than that in ‘thought’, for example. Oh, it’s hard to explain.

AndyP
    Free Member

Choreetho
    aye, that’s the one.

uplink
    Free Member

I thought it was pronounced donkey meat 😉

TheSanityAssassin

My two favourites are:

Marra-zotchy, &

Shi-nar-mu.

I’ve also heard Commercial, Com-menkle & Day-knees.

I still don’t know the correct version of Bontrager, so Bonty it is.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I mis-pronounced Freixenet once. Oh the eye watering horror of it. Interesting about how to pronounce Moet properly – but saying the T sounds so wrong, and Freddie Mercury didn’t.

juan
    Free Member

Chorizo
    it’s ch as sh in shit and the z is ss as the bloody **** s that is not in the english language

jojoA1
    Free Member

juan – Member
    molgrips don’t moan on jalapenos…
    I am called juan and I have yet to find someone not struggling with my name.

Innuendo of the day

I’ll try and get my tongue around it for you.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oh, just remembered when a young lad from the bike club asked me where I got my ‘Sombrero’ hat from. I was wearing my Sombrio cap at the time. that made me chuckle.

trailmonkey

chorizo

ch as in church, i = ee, z = th

chor-ee-tho.

bassspine
    Free Member

going back in time…Shwarble tyres

sorry, back to the chorizo.

juan
    Free Member

it’s not the th of tho I can’t explain it’s exactly the sounds that does not exist in english

flamejob
    Free Member

.. like though Juan.

The Ringlé craze drove me batty, partly because my name has an accent and that never gets pronounced ether.

Lamborghini names spoken by english people drive me bonkers. Weird that a lot of it is Spanish.

Gallardo Gayardo

Murciélago moor-thee-EH-la-go… first moor bit slower than tend bit

Reventón pronounced with a soft b where the v is.

juan
    Free Member

no it is not liek though it’s different it’s more a snakish ssssss thant the zzzzz

Honest I can clearly make a difference between the two of them

mike_check
    Free Member

Anyone remember those ‘Zzyzx’ forks from around ’98 time? Stupidly oversized tripple clamps??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

juan – Member

The french don’t use umlarts in their language

You wouldn’t bet about it would you?

No I wouldn’t, but Go on Juan, prove me wrong and I’m talking standard textbook French, not some little hidden valley in the Alsace region where the locals still worship the sun gods and point at those strange flying ships.

Also my Moet quote above was from Jancis Robinson, WSET master of wine, long time.

flamejob
    Free Member

Anyone remember those ‘Zzyzx’ forks from around ’98 time? Stupidly oversized tripple clamps??

…like sticks?

thefallguy
    Free Member

shouldn’t we pronounce all these foriegn words in English? Watch the voting on eurovision to see how johnny foreigner says ‘united kingdom’. Likewise we don’t attempt a french pronounciation of Paris, so why not Anglisise these names, its not our fault they are spelt incorectly for us to achieve the right pronounciation.

(Can you tell I pronounce most of the mentioned names incorrectly?)

chipps

SRAM is ‘sram’ as in ‘pram’ – it’s just the initials of the founders, not a foreign word.

As for Bontrager – Keith reckons that the reason that his products are popular in Europe is because each nation assumes that he’s one of them – so the French might pronounce it ‘bontra-jer’ or ‘bontrajé’ and the Germans ‘Bon-traaagger’ and the rest of us (including Keith) as just Bon Tray Ger. It’s originally German though…

IGMC

Nico
    Free Member

What about Cava then?

shoefiti
    Free Member

Anyone heard Mavic pronounced ‘May Vik’ before ?!?!?!?

Also ‘Cam Parge’

or: Bee a notchi

I know Deus should probably be pronounced ‘day uss’ but the rep from race face calls it ‘deus’ and you do sound like a nob if you say it like you have a latin dictionary shoved up your ass.

iamtheresurrection

Moet isn’t a French name, it’s Dutch. Founded by Claude Moet…

And in reality you can’t win anyway – go ahead and say it either with or without the ‘T’ (it is definitely Mo-et), and some smartarse thinks you’re wrong. It’s a good enough reason to avoid it and order something more interesting instead…

atlaz
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member
    No I wouldn’t, but Go on Juan, prove me wrong and I’m talking standard textbook French, not some little hidden valley in the Alsace region where the locals still worship the sun gods and point at those strange flying ships.

Noël general enough? 🙂

nedrapier

My dad said he went to Ibiza in the 70s and they announced the gate for the “Eye-b-eye-za” flight. He went to correct find someone to correct them, They said “Of course we know, but if we said it the Spanish way, half the people would still be sat in departures when the plane took off”

Sometimes it’s just about knowing your audience.

Lingerie.

trailmonkey

What about Cava then?

Ka-ba

But the b is somewhere between b and v. A bit like other foreign language sounds that we don’t do in English.

AndyP
    Free Member

My dad said he went to Ibiza in the 70s and they announced the gate for the “Eye-b-eye-za” flight. He went to correct find someone to correct them, They said “Of course we know, but if we said it the Spanish way, half the people would still be sat in departures when the plane took off”

Sometimes it’s just about knowing your audience.

But if you announce it as ‘Eye-b-eye-za’, you’d still have half the people sitting in departures because they’re not going to ‘Eye-b-eye-za’, they’re going to ‘Eye-beef-a’ or ‘Ib-itz-a’.
    Still, as long as you can get 50000 Bensons on the flight, and patronise the waiters when you get there, they probably wouldn’t worry where it was.

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘mispronounced bike bits.’ is closed to new replies.