Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • miserable bloody mtber's……..
  • ton

been out on my road bike for a couple of hours, passed loads of roadie, who gave me the nod/said hello.
    passed about 5 or 6 mtbr's and 1 group of 4………………….wot a miserable set of geyt's.
    not 1 smile/nod/hello/fanny adams.
    wot gives??

vdubber67
    Free Member

They've all read previous threads on here about how 'miserable' roadies are, and now they've stopped acknowledging them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Find it with roadies as well – poss more so – dunno – just shrug it off and the next bunch prob say hi 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

People are just miserable full stop 😆

headfirst
    Free Member

I've given up on a local mtb 'club ride' after a few gos. I'm an approachable bloke but no-one talked to me and the rides were in virtual silence. On bridleways walkers were not warned or acknowledged at all, except by me. Miserable twunts. Shame coz they knew some good trails 😡

ton

i'm not.
    i say hello to everyone i see on bikes.

i even spoke to barnes once…………….. 😆

highclimber
    Free Member

I would ignore you as it was probably because you were wearing a lot of spandex and had skinny tyres!

andy7t2
    Free Member

didn't know john was in to biking, he needs it looks massive on those mars adverts

thwang-01
    Free Member

i run into some mtb snobs last thursday evening said hello as i allways do no reply from any of them.just looked down at me maybe i wasnt worthy i was on my 2000 sugar 3 they were on nice new shiny bikes.
    thang

ton

and why the **** are people riding round with elbow and knee pads……on the road, in leeds. 🙄

PiknMix
    Free Member

I had this today, had loads of hellos from mtb's but none from the roadies. (I was on a mtb) I will keep saying a cheery hello as I don't do it for the response. 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Why do people care? When I am walking down the road I don't say hello to every other pedestrian I walk past. Why do people expect people to do it when on a mountain bike…?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Maybe they were in a bad mood?

saleem
    Free Member

I was telling someone last night that I find it really funny that when I'm on my road bike and come across the road brigade in my baggies and say HELLO they never know whether to speak or pass with their noses in the air, funny old feckers the roadies, mtb folk just want to rip past looking well hard………gives me a laugh no matter what bike I'm on.

jordie
    Free Member

try riding a road bike with a mtb top on or a camelbak or a Mtb with a roadie top.You get to piss both sides off at once and neither roadie or mtbers will give you a wave.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

<condescending sh1te>

Well people did know and constantly greet their neighbours as they walked everywhere. I've heard it argued that car-use has broken down the social structure of a neighbourhoods by stopping this. Now we try to ignore people in the street – there is no context with which to engage them.

But if I'm on a bike and you're on a bike, it's a context for a greeting.

When I started my hill walking apprenticeship, my mentor would advise me to greet everyone because they might be the ones rescuing you. I keep this tradition up – the hills are more welcoming because of it.

Say hello or just grin; we don't bite.

</condescending sh1te>

romster
    Free Member

Loddrik it's a pretty age old tradition if you're on two wheels to acknowledge the other person riding the opposite way on two wheels, that goes for whether you have an engine strapped to the frame or not. I was up in the peaks Sunday and was pleasantly suprised by the amount of nod's back i got. (being someone who always nod's on matter what type of bike the other rider is on). One thing that did freak me out a bit though was when ramblers nodded at us. Because it wasn't expected they didn't get a nod back. Maybe everyone was just having a good day, who know's? 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

To answer a question above if you live in the countryside most people on bikes and on foot say hello to each other – tis a problem in towns and cities unfortunately 🙁

TheBrick
    Free Member

The more "all the gear" some one is, weather thats a roadie in full team kit or mtber ona expensive full sus with cool shades 661 gear e.t.c the more stand offish I find people, maybe it's partly me or also them looking at me always looking a bit rough and ready being stand offish.

Touring cyclist always seem happy to say hello though! Having toured on my own though I know you do tend to want to speak sometime if you've been on your own for a few days!

Joolz
    Free Member

Why do people care? When I am walking down the road I don't say hello to every other pedestrian I walk past.

Because it's nice; it makes you feel good and it makes them feel good. I do say hello to people when I walk down the road (not everyone, you have to judge it right) I said a lot of good mornings on my way to work today, and got a lot back, with smiles.

I guess what I'm saying is…so ner 😉

Not sure what the roadie/mtb image snobbery is all about though – I think I'll keep on shaving my legs either way 🙂

Joolz

ton

TheBrick………..i was on my touring bike.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I say hello when I see them which isn't often as I'm not on the road much, which reminds me. Where I live there's a really smooth sustrans route so bikes can stay off the road but not once have I seen a road bike on it. They all stay on the very busy A road at the mercy of the traffic with a perfectly good cycle way along side it. Why?

onandon
    Free Member

when i'm out on the road bike, roadies say hi and MTBers ignore.
    when i'm out of the the mtb, MTBers say hi and the roadies ignore (if im on the road)
    **** the lot of um, i'm having fun 🙂

oh,when i'm out on the BMX most people just laugh and point at the gimp 34 year old LOL

loddrik
    Free Member

Allow me to instigate a new behaviour then, the polite ignore. No offence if I don't say hello, don't take it personal, I just can't be arsed.

ton

cos you are a miserable old man??

soops
    Free Member

When i ride i am always surprised how many other mountain bikers don't say hi! Roadies usually say hi though. A cyclist is a cyclist in my book.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bingo!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I would hate to be the miserable shit that doesn't say hello to people when walking about.
    where I live everyone knows everyone and its great to be part of a friendly hello saying community 😉

some right grumpy **** on here.

TheFlyingOx

tis a problem in towns and cities unfortunately.

Hehe. Too true. I work on quite a large site for a couple of weeks at a time, and everyone says "hi" to everyone else all the time. I get home and give a quick nod to Joe Schmoe walking down the street and they look at me like I'm pointing a gun at their face.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

In my experience its the roadies that seem a tad miserable. Its not always the case though. I find if theres a big group of roadies, the ones at the front leading the pack don't say hi, but the ones at the back blowing out of their arses still have time to say hello.

Most mtb'ers I meet are friendly enough too

khani
    Free Member

I love saying hello to miserable riders, cheers me up no end 🙂
    Spread a little happiness, lifes too short to be miserable

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i get that all the time m8, mtb

a

s they say hello lol.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i always say 'hello or nod' to most people but there is an increase of 'miserable mtb,ers' out there you're right ton ! geez if you find it so difficult to 'raise your head' and 'smile' or 'nod' or 'anything' then dont ruddy ride if its so hard for you out there ! lol its meant to be fun fun fun ! 😉 :mrgreen:

elaineanne
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

ourmaninthenorth

They all stay on the very busy A road at the mercy of the traffic with a perfectly good cycle way along side it. Why?

Either they're all testers, in which case it's their natural habitat. Or, they're the odd breed of people who own road bikes and think they're more fragile than glass.

peterfile
    Free Member

it's just people. people who say hello to you when they pass you on a bike are just as likely to be the ones who smile and apologise when they bump into you on the tube.

some people are devoid of social skills or just plain miserable though, sticking them on a bike doesn't change their crappy personality.

I was coming back from an evening ride the other day and stopped in a little village for a pint. I had a full face helmet with me and propped a 7" FR bike next to a load of shaved roadies.

my friend and I had the picnic table next to the roadie lads. Their ages ranged from around 30-50 and they all looked pretty fit, and their gear was high end.

We didn't get the usual smirks and rolling of eyes from these guys though. Two of them were up like a shot and asking loads of questions about both bikes. Neither of them claimed to be an MTBer, but both were pretty knowledgeable about our kit. All (save for one miserable git) were really friendly and seemed genuinely interested about where we had been and what we had been riding. We were equally impressed by their 70 mile loop as they were by the mobile phone videos of us sessioning a road gap.

Some might suggest that we're all cyclists and that's why we got on, but at the end of the day, these guys were just decent chaps. It could quite have easily been 6 **** sitting next to us.

It's quite rare that I don't speak to another MTBer if I bump into them on the trails.

neninja
    Free Member

I live in a village where people still greet each other with a hello or good morning regardless of whether they are acquaintances.

I'll tend to say hello to anyone out riding mtb or roadie but it's a bit hit or miss getting acknowledged by roadies when I'm on the mtb

JonR
    Free Member

been out on my road bike for a couple of hours, passed loads of roadie, who gave me the nod/said hello.
    passed about 5 or 6 mtbr's and 1 group of 4………………….wot a miserable set of geyt's.
    not 1 smile/nod/hello/fanny adams.
    wot gives??

Are you serious? You were on a road bike!!!! Roadies say hello to roadies, MTBers say hello to MTBers. You don't catch Jedi's tipping a nod to Sith when they head down the canteena for a few scoops do you?!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

wtf my post is broke lol, but pretty much what jon R said its true !

thomthumb
    Free Member

met some right joyless souls on the trails this week!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘miserable bloody mtber's……..’ is closed to new replies.