Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • MIPS helmets – do they all feel a bit wobbly, and do you notice when riding?
  • submarined
    Free Member

I’m after a new trail helmet and have tried a fair few recently (A1/A2/Chronicle/can’t remember the others) and they all felt like they jiggled around a fair bit on my head, which I found really disconcerting.
    Is this something you get used to very quickly, or do you even notice it?
    I’ve tried a Leatt which has their Turbine thingy which doesn’t do this and I think is the best fitting of the lot so far, I’m getting a bit bored of the quest for the perfect lid for my in between sizes head and may just stick with that, but that seems a bit daft…

Phil_H

Yes, my Chronicle Mips feels a bit wobbly. No, I don’t notice it when riding.

carlos
    Free Member

No, my Bushwhacker2 Mips isn’t wobbly. Its a great fit (for me) without feeling like its crushing my skull or a feeling loose

fathomer

I felt the same with all the mips helmets I tried apart from the A1, but that boiled my brain, so I’ve gone for an IXS Trigger. Fits nice and has no mips to wobble around.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve recently got a Bell 4Forty MIPS and can’t say I’ve noticed any wobbling. I think they put the MIPS in the retaining system or something though, so I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

mashr

Had an original Sweet Bushwhacker, it was solid as a rock
    Now have a Giro Montaro, it’s wobbly, especially on very rough sections. However, it’s also not as close fitting as the Bushwhacker which has to work against it

joemmo
    Free Member

no and no with a Giro Montaro.

jam-bo

never noticed it on my montaro, but then I have a massive head and its quite a snug fit…

mildbore

Fox Flux owner here. No, and no.

mashr

Premier Icon
    jam bo

Subscriber
    never noticed it on my montaro, but then I have a massive head and its quite a snug fit…

I seem to be the very definition of “in between sizes” these days. So likely not helping me in this situation at all

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My montaro is so wobbly it’s been retired.

winston
    Free Member

Just bought a Bell Falcon Mips for road and gravel. Super comfy and doesn’t wobble at all. Total bargain from Merlin at 40 quid btw

However quite what the mips would do over and above the standard version in a crash….hmmm.

binman

Just bought a Specialized Ambush MIPS, in medium but all my previous helmets have been large. The Ambush is snug before I tighten it up. Tried quite a few on, it way the best fit for my oblong head. 2nd best was a Troy Lee A2. Giro don’t fit me.

Previously had a Smith’s Forefront MIPS, but broke the rubber MIPS retaining strap / lug when I hit a low hanging branch, writing the helmet off.

tenfoot

I’ve just bought a Giro Fixture MIPS helmet that doesn’t wobble. I think I must have a Giro shaped head though as it fits just like my old Hex did, whilst other helmets (Giant Rail, Endura MT500) I’ve used, do wobble.

Lionheart
    Free Member

A1 MIPS here, one ride and just feels too wobbly to me, keeps clobbering my glasses. Old A1 and Giro Xen both stayed well put.

junglistjut
    Free Member

No wobble on my Fox mips

oldnpastit

I recently got a Giro (no idea what model, it’s red and black). It doesn’t wobble and is quite a nice fit.

It’s a bit warmer than the non-MIPS it replaced, but not unbearably so. Just keep moving!

joemmo
    Free Member

just to test this, I put my Montaro on this morning and did some head wobbling in the name of SCIENCE.
    left to right – yes I can make it wobble if I do this vigorously but that’s not a common movement you do whilst riding unless constantly distracted by squirrels.
    Nodding axis was not discernibly wobbly – which I think is the most important axis
    side to side – minor wobbling could be initiated but again outside the regular range of cranial oscillation one might expect during bicyclering.

I await my nobel prize.

joebristol

Are you trying on helmets the right size for you?

I’ve got one helmet with mips (Giro Chronicle) and I can’t say I’ve ever noticed it’s wobbly.

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve only had one MIPS helmet, a POC Trabec race, and that felt wobbly and insecure, no matter how tight a fit it was.
    The plastic bits of the MIPS liner always rubbed against my head somewhere and felt sharp and uncomfortable.

Used it twice and it’s sitting in the cupboard now as a spare. I wouldn’t buy another one, unless i could ‘off-‘road test it first.

chrismac

Met roam mips here and don’t even notice the helmet at all let alone any wobble

submarined
    Free Member

Cheers Y’all. So it sounds like a very conclusive yes/no/maybe/some then. Excellent 😀

In response to am I trying the right size – I am as much as I can – I’ve got an awkward just over 59 ish potato head. So most M are too small, and I’m usually right at the bottom of most L /XL type sizes. M/L A1/A2 is perched on me head.

There are a few brands that size slightly differently so I’m working through those at the moment!

mashr

There are a few brands that size slightly differently so I’m working through those at the moment!

Do go on……. my 59cm head and I are keen to hear if there are brands we’ve missed

submarined
    Free Member

@mashr My head is sending a message to yours to try IXS, Bell, and Leatt. I’ve currently got an IXS Trail RS that’s dead comfy, I’m umming and ahhing about the Leatt DBX3 I’ve currently got from CRC, and I tried a Bell 4Forty at the weekend which felt pretty good. 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

Yes, I second what @submarined said. My extra large loaf is regularly baked inside a quite comfy IXS trail.

mashr

IXS was no better for me, lots of overhang like the Montaro
    Bell Sixer did seem ok
    Not tried a Leatt yet
    Also interested in trying a Lazer

iainc

Do the Montaro pads still fall apart after a few rides?

joemmo
    Free Member

@ianc
    My original pads peeled a bit but held out for a good length of time. I’ve got a replacement set and they are different material and a bit thicker, no sign of self destruction

jayx2a
    Free Member

Giro Montaro for a year or so – not noticed it at all!

@ianc

My pads are still the original ones too!

deadkenny
    Free Member

unless constantly distracted by squirrels

I do that quite a bit. “ooo, squirrel!”, then try to run it down 😀

Disturbed squirrels humping recently too, middle of the trail.

antigee

Disturbed squirrels humping recently too, middle of the trail.

Maybe pick another another location for your humping sans or avec wobbly helmet

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘MIPS helmets – do they all feel a bit wobbly, and do you notice when riding?’ is closed to new replies.