Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Minor rantette and plea for help: desktop printer
  • MTB-Idle
    Free Member

My mother, 78 years old and insists on printing stuff. Blurred photos on cheap paper, letters, jeebus she still sends letters via the Royal Mail, usually letters of complaint about this that or the other, mainly the other or various other unneccessary shoot but of course the printer keeps on falling over so she has bought another one.

HP Deskjet 2600 all in one series. Two people have already bodged their way around trying to install it and failed miserably and now I’m having to try and sort it out.

It seems straightforward, download the app on phone or ipad, connect and print. But when i get the connect to the printer window i enter the network password and it says no joy, password incorrect. It’s not incorrect cos I used the same password to connect my phone to her wifi ten minutes earlier when i arrived.

Or have i got it wrong and there is a printer password that I don’t know about? there’s nothing in the minimal literature to indicate a printer specific password is required, it seems to indicate wifi password is all that’s needed.

Oh well, forget that i will just install the software on her desktop PC. But that requires a CD which doesn’t come with the printer and has to be sent off for separately. I try downloading the drivers/software etc but when I run that it again asks for me to enter the CD. There are other options like find the drivers on the PC/online but they don’t work.

It can’t be that difficult or can it…

rossburton
    Free Member

Printers are the devil’s work.  Yes, it can be that hard.

Maybe the stupid printer can’t handle WPA2 on first setup, that’s actually happened to me.

Or the keyboard on your phone is autocorrecting as you type in a password field so you can’t tell, which is fun.

You’re lucky the house hasn’t burnt down yet, to be honest.  There really should be a “download all the latest drivers for my OS” button on the HP web site but they are experts at burying drivers, oh the pain I had when I upgraded to the latest macOS and had to find the drivers again…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I bought an HP printer last week from John Lewis and spent a whole afternoon trying to get it working. I failed miserably and was directed to  trouble shooting. Instead, I took it back and bought a Canon. That was up and running within 20 mins…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Minor rantette and plea for help: desktop printer’ is closed to new replies.