Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Minor Ebay scam
  • surfer
    Free Member

Seldom use Ebay and trivial in the scheme of things but…

Selling an old smartphone (Galaxy S7) excellent condition but ovs years old. Buyer contacts me says if you change the listing to buy now I will buy for £50 which I did and he pays with postage.

Send phone out and he claims there is screen burn, sends photos and he is right but so minor I didnt spot it when resetting the phone. Told him it was clear from the pics and description that it is used etc.

Then claims he wants £10 back. Told him no and asked him to return.

I dont care about feedback, seldom use Ebay so no skin off my nose but he has lots of (surprisingly!) perfect feedback. Tempted to leave negative feedback and sure he will do the same for me.

WWSTWD

nealglover
    Free Member

To be fair, if it does have an issue that wasn’t mentioned in the listing, then I would probably refund him the £10.

dannybgoode

^this. Goods not as described – just be thankful the buyer isn’t asking to return the item for a full refund.

Can’t see what the scam is here other than you not listing your items properly 😀

Oh as a seller you can’t leave negative feedback these days.

jake123
    Free Member

I’m struggling to see the scam part…?

Superficial
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty common scam – claim there’s some unexpected issue and ask for a small amount back. The seller doesn’t want the hassle / postage costs associated with returning it so I guess most times just agrees.

If it’s a genuine issue, give him a refund. If you think he’s just being a chancer, call his bluff.

monkeyboyjc

This is a common scam with phones – the buyer just takes photos of the worst condition same model they already have and say it was yours… Just do as you have done and ask them to return it, chances are they won’t bother or if they do they’ll send an empty package….

Unfortunately it’s a risk selling phones on eBay.

surfer
    Free Member

Cheers, Suppose I have a real low tolerance. The phone is not mint, how could it be if it has been used. Told him to return it and I will give him his money back. Scam bit is I assume he just wants me to give him the £10 back which I wont do. I would have sold the phone for £40 just dont like the fact he asked me to change the listing and I suspect as above he would probably have found some spurious issue.

dyna-ti

Seems like a pretty common scam – claim there’s some unexpected issue

What if you sold a frame and failed to notice a tiny crack on one of the welds but the buyer did.

I’m struggling to see the scam part…?

Ditto

Thats not to say there arent some buyers who arent as happy about their purchase upon receiving it. seeing it in the flesh so to speak, and feel they want a bit off, or are doing it in a scam sort of way holding the seller to ransom.

I take each upon its merit, and if the buyer has shown reasonable cause, ill agree and send a partial refund. Sometimes, depending on what percentage is involved, it is better to offer that partial refund, if its going to cost near as much on refunding return postage, then relisting it for the time and trouble that causes.
    If i feel its unwarranted,ill insist on a return, sent recorded and go with it from there.
    I have in the past on low cost items said to keep it and I’ll refund them in full anyway.

To help ensure they dont leave feedback thats negative, apologize, and give them the offer or returning or a partial refund, and let them know that they shouldn’t ever be left out of pocket and if returning their costs shall be refunded.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the scam is to buy the phone then return your own broken phone, hence the need to record the IMEI of the device you ship out. when i’ve sold the in-laws phones upon payment Receipt, i have sent a picture of the IMEI number on the mobile screen and the box.. (codes matching) to the buyer.

i know people who have sold iphones and had broken ones returnws which had different imei’s..

ps. dont forget, paypal now no longer reimburse fees on the original purchase if you refund,

kerley
    Free Member

The phone is not mint, how could it be if it has been used.

Yet you said

smartphone (Galaxy S7) excellent condition

If I was buying something listed as “excellent condition” I would expect it to be near mint. If the screen had a visible fault with it I would not describe that as excellent condition in any way.

zilog6128

Just trying to work out whether it’s the buyer or seller who we think’s been scammed? 😂

nealglover
    Free Member

The phone is not mint, how could it be if it has been used.

“Not mint” is a few minor scratches and signs of use.
    Screen burn is a defect that wasn’t mentioned in the listing.

breadcrumb

You can’t leave a buyer negative feedback either.

kerley
    Free Member

Just trying to work out whether it’s the buyer or seller who we think’s been scammed?

The seller has been misled and tried to do what appears an acceptable deal to keep phone at reduced price and the seller over rates the condition of their item (very, very common) and doesn’t list defects properly but no real scamming.

Saying that, if OP can leave their eBay username I can make sure I avoid it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Minor Ebay scam’ is closed to new replies.