• This topic has 39 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Minor BPW Grumble
  • reevil
    Free Member

Just a small one, but it’s annoyed me nonetheless.

I was making a booking for the uplift and got distracted by my little daughter so I wandered off from the computer before finalising.
    I came back to it, and obviously wasn’t paying attention and managed to click on day pass, rather than uplift and duly completed the transaction.

It was only when I saw my statement with a payment for £6 that I twigged.

I tried to get in touch twice via their “contact us” form, then tried facebook and eventually got their email address.

Summary:
    Can you change my booking and I pay the difference?
    No. Not possible.
    Can you refund my payment and I’ll re-book properly?
    Yes, we can cancel your booking so you can re-book. There’s a cancellation charge.
    Even if I’m cancelling so I can re-book as I made a mistake?
    Yes. It’s in the terms and conditions.

It was a few weeks ago, for a booking in November, it’s not like it was for a weeks time.

It’s only a couple of quid, but when did BPW stop being friendly and about the people and become just another money grabbing, penny-pinching corporate machine?

It won’t stop me going, just blinking well annoyed me.

helpful1
    Free Member

100% your own fault.

If £6 is such a big deal to you, use the day pass. whatever that is.

davosaurusrex

I agree with the OP, its not about the couple of quid.

helpful1, don’t be a ****.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he knows whose fault it is that he got it wrong he is saying, and I dont think it is unreasonable , that they should just let him upgrade without a fee …they get more money from him anyway
    You might actually want to read the OP as well as you missed the actual point and the actual fee

Pretty poor way to run a business annoying your customers but hey Planet X and superstar are still here 😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I tried to get in touch twice via their “contact us” form, then tried facebook and eventually got their email address.

Or…

Phone: 07730 382501

zilog6128

We have had this thread before (possibly more than once) with the usual gamut of responses. My opinion: I seriously doubt anyone is getting rich off BPW. Have you ever run a business? All this stuff, processing refunds, etc, costs money. Someone has to pay for it – might as well be the person who made the mistake. At least it will serve to focus your mind next time. 🙂

reevil
    Free Member

Surely if it’s been mentioned before, then there are other stupid people like me who’ve made the same mistake. Probably quite alot.

In this day and age, they can’t adjust a booking and make another transaction for £25 to make up the uplift fee? If they can’t, and with the amount of traffic they get then they need a better system!

Like I said, it’s just a minor grumble. Customer service is the important thing these days, but this example is just ****. I guess they don’t need to worry as they have no competition. Until something opens is Gloucestershire….

I didn’t spot that number Flash! It’s been a long 17 months!

zilog6128

Customer service is the important thing these days

So they were rude to you on the phone? Or in your eyes is poor customer service merely declining to waive a charge you’d previously agreed to pay?

reevil
    Free Member

They weren’t rude. Just efficient.

Excelling in customer service is exceeding the customer’s expectation.
    Average customer service is providing the customer with what they want.
    Poor customer service is sticking rigidly to the rules with no care for the customer.

It’s not about rudeness.

I do some from an extensive customer service background so I do know what I’m talking about.

Northwind

How much is the cancellation charge then? It’s the sort of thing that waiving a charge generates a fair amount of goodwill, maybe outweighing the cash value, so I’m a bit surprised they don’t go for it tbh but it’s really just their call.

davosaurusrex – Member

helpful1, don’t be a ****.

Might as well ask the rain to stop phoning tbh.

reevil
    Free Member

£2

I’m not grumbling about the amount, just the fact that sticking blindly to the t&cs is a bit ****.

helpful1
    Free Member

ha ha ha… 😀

davosaurusrex

I’m guessing helpful1 is the latest username from some bitter and twisted “big hitter” who got banned in the past? Muppet either way.

grum
    Free Member

If you want to set up a JustGiving page I’m sure we’ll all chip in a bit. Might take a while to get to the total but we’ll make it! 😛

edoverheels
    Free Member

I don’t often feel the need to comment but someone has charged you £2 for wasting their time and you feel the need to start a thread about it? Show your anger and boycott them.

woodster

Charging £2 for your mistake and something which costs them time and money and is outlined in their T&Cs makes them money grabbing?

You should be moaning that they didn’t exceed your expectations by giving you a free cabbage as well.

poey50
    Free Member

STW snipers are missing the point. If it was a large amount I don’t think the OP would be complaining. A trivial amount that could easily be cancelled would be good for customer relations at little cost to BPW.

helpful1
    Free Member

Oh… he’d still be complaining.

I’d still be laughing at him.

But is big brave Dave brave enough to sling insults away from the safety of his keyboard? Doubtful.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Perhaps they should put the cancellation fee up then?

yunki
    Free Member

Fight fight fight fight

MussEd
    Free Member

The same thing happened with me – except completely different – my small child distracted me as I typed a response seizing my chance to buy a bargain off Ton in the classified section of Bearbones forum. Once I got back to the important business of internet bike bits buying the bargain had been snapped up.

So I can kind of empathise OP but it’s only £2?

And helpful1? :

But is big brave Dave brave enough to sling insults away from the safety of his keyboard? Doubtful

Classic.

nuke

when did BPW stop being friendly and about the people and become just another money grabbing, penny-pinching corporate machine?

🙄

You made a mistake, it cost you £2…only person id be annoyed with if I was in this situation is myself; why do people feel that there’s this entitlement that the T&Cs should be disregarded for their situation?

Junkyard
    Free Member

He feels like the charge is a piss take for a simple error especially as he is upgrading and they are getting more money- do you think he has a point or not?

WHo knew such a sm=imple thread was an easy way to identify ****?

Not aimed at the person I just replied to to be clear

Lummox

I don’t ever think bpw has ever been ‘about the people’.

Friendly yes, but not about the people.

Have several experiences of money first agenda.

To qualify that last statement.

* refusal to amend bookings without charging despite forewarning
    * refusing to refund uplift slots- then selling the same slot to someone behind you at full value.
    * single trip riders getting uplifted before day up lifters despite them being in the queue

I like BPW, it’s a unique site and a great day out. I just don’t think they’re flexible enough.

b45her
    Free Member

BPW have been greedy from the outset. to do 1 ulifted run with my 10 year old son would cost £20!
    i live 20 mins away and hardly go near the place.

Northwind

Lummox – Member

* refusing to refund uplift slots- then selling the same slot to someone behind you at full value.
    * single trip riders getting uplifted before day up lifters despite them being in the queue

When we were there, there were 2 different queues and absolutely no chance a single tripper was getting on the bus ahead of day tickets. Usually everyone got on the bus anyway but a few times the singles were left behind.

(oh OK, there was one, where a group of 3 daytrippers decided to wait because there were only 2 spaces, and 2 singles got in instead, but that’s obviously different)

Selling the same slot twice is kind of Ticketmastery though, when your service runs at capacity like theirs does it’d be a very nice feature to offer transfers/waiting lists, it’s one thing when they’re struggling to fill seats and another when they can be so confident of reselling a refunded ticket.

b45her – Member

BPW have been greedy from the outset. to do 1 ulifted run with my 10 year old son would cost £20!

It’s £4 a run if you buy the card, or £5 cash

davosaurusrex

helpful1 – what is that supposed to mean? Are you offering me a scrap in the playground when school is over? Grow up or I’ll give you a wicked dead leg and take your lunch money.

Northwind

Northwind – Member

It’s £4 a run if you buy the card, or £5 cash

For clarity; what I meant was, you’re not paying £20 for one uplift; you’re paying £6 for a full day’s riding, and £4 for one uplift.

nuke

He feels like the charge is a piss take for a simple error especially as he is upgrading and they are getting more money- do you think he has a point or not?

Not on the basis i reckon when you work out the cost of an employee of BPW actually refunding/reschedduling/etc the place, the labour cost would be near to or more than £2. Simple mistake or not, still OPs mistake, dont see why BPW should be out of pocket.

I don’t get the impression BPW is a particularly profitable business and, if they are turning a profit, hopefully its going back into the trails/infrastructure: on that basis they have to protect their margins so these little charges might not make it ‘friendly’ but if its necessary to keep it operating then so be it

theocb
    Free Member

I’m going to hazard a guess that there are loads and loads and loads of requests for altering tickets.

A £2 fee doesn’t sound like money grabbing to me, it sounds fair.. small mistake, small fee.
    Take it out of your daughters pocket money ya tight whiny git

P-Jay
    Free Member

b45her – Member
    i live 20 mins away and hardly go near the place.

Under 12s are free aren’t they? So £14?

I agree though the pricing structure doesn’t really lend itself to just popping up for an hour.

The Saturday morning kids club is good though £10 for a 2 hour lesson with a proper instructor for the kids and it comes with a day pass a day pass for both of you – I can get 2 runs in whilst he’s in the club and we go for a pottle afterwards.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the labour cost would be near to or more than £2.

Its not free but it is basically answering a phone or an e-mail and clicking on a booking system the only cost part is the booking system as you will do the first bit anyway.
    So basically £2 to press a button on the computer

OH ans using your maths this post was worth cost a fiver 😉

b45her
    Free Member

under 10s are free with a full paying adult, 2 x £6 day passes and 2 x £4 for an upift = £20.
    Add to that the very expensive food and an attractive place to take a child it ain’t.

poey50
    Free Member

I think we can all count ourselves lucky that this was only a ‘minor grumble’. 🙄

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Not sure the one in Gloucestershire will come close to BPW or the Forest of Dean for many years to come if ever and that’s dear too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

the labour cost would be near to or more than £2.

Its not free but it is basically answering a phone or an e-mail and clicking on a booking system the only cost part is the booking system as you will do the first bit anyway.
    So basically £2 to press a button on the computer
    OH ans using your maths this post was worth cost a fiver

Small error there junkyard, so that’s £2 please.

m0rk
    Free Member

Technically the person would have been there not doing the transaction anyway, so is overhead

The only cost is the financial transaction (£.65 or so)

andyrm
    Free Member

If you have to employ a person to deal with enquiries, amendments, refunds etc, you have to cover their cost of employment, or preferably make them profitable. The charge ensures the wage cost of the person dealing with enquiries is covered. Good business sense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

For typos and grammar errors it will make more sense if I just set up a Direct Debit 😉

Olly
    Free Member

another money grabbing, penny-pinching corporate machine?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Minor BPW Grumble’ is closed to new replies.