Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Ministry of Defence Cuts (Prince Harry)
  • johnners
    Free Member

But let’s not belittle his achievements.

He’s a dilettante. He left school with middling-to-poor A levels in Art and Geography, and went straight into Sandhurst.

It beggars belief that he’s in that cockpit through merit or talent. His pilot must have drawn a very short straw.

yossarian
    Free Member

but both have to go and do what their Nan tells them to don’t they.

i don’t think so, they choose to. I don’t doubt that they have been schooled, educated and groomed to take on these roles but let’s not pretend it isn’t a choice. Its a great shame that they haven’t chosen a different path, particularly Harry. A serving royal in an illegal war? tsk tsk.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

these people have the very best education, health care, and advantage that is possible, yet look how they turn out !

Inbreeding has been made illegal for most people….

airtragic
    Free Member

If he hadn’t made the grade, he wouldn’t be in the cockpit. I’ve got friends in the helicopter flying training system and I seriously believe this. Academic results have little bearing on flying ability.

airtragic
    Free Member

Look how they turn out? Most parents would be quite proud to have their kids make the grade as helicopter pilots.

binners

A serving royal in an illegal war? tsk tsk.

To be fair, a quick look through history suggests the royals have never been the greatest believers in the rulings of international institutions. Why start at this stage in the game?

airtragic
    Free Member

Illegal war? Aren’t we here at the invitation of the democratically elected government of Afghanistan under a UN Security Council resolution?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

illegal war?

I think you’re getting Afghanistan mixed up with Iraq

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Let’s not let fact’s get in the way of a good rudebwoy rant.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Ed Macy’s book “Apache” is a pretty good read, as an Apache gunner (The Army let the NCOs drive!), Harry has my full respect.

yossarian
    Free Member

i don’t think I am actually. When did the US invade Afghanistan? What conditions need to apply for one nation to invade another? Where those conditions met in 2001 when the bombardment & invasion of Afghanistan began?

legend
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

So glad someone believes all of that laser-guided clean kill propaganda.

Hi, defence engineer working on lasers here, can I help?

breadroll
    Free Member

Prince Harry is so annoying! He shouldn’t be such a flaunt, he carries on with a gaggle of open mouthed brown nosers around him, spending tax payers money, wide eyed and as if his actions have no consequences. William, to his credit has more decorum. Harry strikes me a callous and insensitive.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It beggars belief that he’s in that cockpit through merit or talent.

Possibly the most idiotic comment on STW today.

breadroll
    Free Member

He’s a dilettante. He left school with middling-to-poor A levels in Art and Geography, and went straight into Sandhurst.

It beggars belief that he’s in that cockpit through merit or talent. His pilot must have drawn a very short straw.

Right on. Why are people celebrating the fact that he might have killed someone? This is another life we’re talking about.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… followed by another…

yossarian
    Free Member

its a bit early to be calling that

zokes
    Free Member

I dunno – that thread on religious nutjobs has come contenders

Cletus

This book is a few years old but gives an interesting overview of UK defense spending. Not sure that I agree with all the authors conclusions but it is thought provoking stuff.

Amazon link to book

johnners
    Free Member

Thank you very much!

I’m guessing it’s beyond you to explain why you think that, but you could start by looking at the more usual entry requirements for Sandhurst if you like.

jamj1974

As for Harry… he’s done a damn site more to defend this country than I have. Fair play to him. He didn’t have too. He wanted too.

Whilst not questioning the courage of people doing a difficult job under fire – he isn’t defending our country. He is furthering the commercial and political agenda of another country entirely. In my view, without the American drive to commercially, culturally and politically dominate the rest of the world since the end of the Second World War, we wouldn’t be in the position of facing terror threats from other regions.

binners

I’m guessing it’s beyond you to explain why you think that, but you could start by looking at the more usual entry requirements for Sandhurst if you like.

Have you had your belief in our socially mobile meritocracy shattered? 😆

davetrave
    Free Member

johnners – Member

Thank you very much!

I take it you do know the entry requirements to Sandhurst yourself then…?

Harry met the minimum requirements for entry to Officer training – 2 A Levels…

Anyway, he could have been in scope for redundancy – just had the notification myself – the eligibility criteria have been cut right down, in terms of ops, only those on or about to go are exempt. Those who’ve just returned would be eligible for the chop, so by that token he’d be in the frame if he weren’t a pilot.

airtragic
    Free Member

Jamj1974: you are well within your rights to believe that. I think you may have a point re American foreign policy, in the past certainly.

My point is that we retain the moral high ground. We use lethal force as a last resort, we only use it against the “bad guys”, and we take great pains to ensure nobody else is hurt. We don’t go around shooting schoolgirls in the face. So all this talk of “somebody’s life”, you are talking about somebody who will have been responsible for a few deaths himself.

I think some people genuinely believe our lot fly round the countryside mowing down farmers like in Apocalypse Now.

phil.w
    Free Member

Illegal war? What’s a legal war, one where the other side agrees to be attacked.

Or is it where you and your buddies create a organisation and give it the power to legitimise your actions. What a con.

yossarian
    Free Member

My point is that we retain the moral high ground

😯

binners

*waves from the moral high ground*

yossarian
    Free Member

deviant
    Free Member

I like the bloke, as others said the middle east is a barbaric hole and the prospects if shot down and captured aren’t great.
    I approached the army a few years ago to see if they required my skillset (paramedic) out there, at the time the press was full of reports of hideous injuries from IEDs and I felt I could help as a medic….they politely declined my offer, I was 35 at the time so understandable I suppose.
    My sister dated a paratrooper for a while, he crossed the border into Iraq with the yanks in 2003 (I think?) and seemed to enjoy army life.
    I also like his hard partying attitude and couldn’t give two hoots that it’s done on my taxes!

airtragic
    Free Member

Much easier to post some funnies than answer the argument with proof to the contrary. If you’d read it properly you’d have seen I was talking about our conduct of the counter insurgency, not the political level decisions to go in in the first place.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t doubt that they have been schooled, educated and groomed to take on these roles but let’s not pretend it isn’t a choice

Can you recall the last time a Prince choose to not do this – serve in the military – they even let theatre loving fan of the musicals Edward have a crack at being a marine as an example of how much it is expected of them.

Even the queen served during the war

No idea when the last Royal did not serve so I am not sure it is in any sense a choice

As for suggesting the royals get where they are due to merit I find it hard to believe, even on stw , that anyone can be that naive.

airtragic
    Free Member

Phil: a legal war is one supported by the UN Security Council. Of the five permanent members, who can each veto an action, china and Russia are hardly Uncle Sam’s “buddies”. France is arguably not either!

airtragic
    Free Member

He would not be flying the Apache if he hadn’t been up to it. I know this because I know and understand the military flying training system, having worked in and around it for 10 years or so. What’s your expertise, junkyard? Or is it just prejudice? You said yourself Prince Edward didn’t make it as a marine.

sm
    Free Member

Love him or hate him he’s out there and doing a job.

My question is how much is his additional security costing while he’s there, wouldnt it be better to keep him in the UK and spend that money elsewhere i.e. keeping other soliders safe and in jobs?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    It beggars belief that he’s in that cockpit through merit or talent.

This and this…

airtragic – Member
    He would not be flying the Apache if he hadn’t been up to it.

+1 to both

airtragic
    Free Member

He probably has less security in Afg than he does in the UK, so it’s a taxpayer saving (sort of)!

phil.w
    Free Member

Yes, thanks airtragic, I’m well aware of this.

The whole idea that the UN have the power to make something like war ‘legal’ is just ridiculous since the only ones with any real power in the UN are the 5 permanent members.

They may not be best buddies but they do a lot of business and trade. This is always going to be the number one priority so vetoing an invasion is never going to happen.

yossarian
    Free Member

Much easier to post some funnies than answer the argument with proof to the contrary. If you’d read it properly you’d have seen I was talking about our conduct of the counter insurgency, not the political level decisions to go in in the first place.

well, we could start here if you like:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/mar/29/afghanistan-british-army-crimes

zokes
    Free Member

The whole idea that the UN have the power to make something like war ‘legal’ is just ridiculous since the only ones with any real power in the UN are the 5 permanent members.

They may not be best buddies but they do a lot of business and trade. This is always going to be the number one priority so vetoing an invasion is never going to happen.

That would be why they didn’t sanction the war in Iraq then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

He would not be flying the Apache if he hadn’t been up to it. I know this because I know and understand the military flying training system, having worked in and around it for 10 years or so. What’s your expertise, junkyard? Or is it just prejudice? You said yourself Prince Edward didn’t make it as a marine

Let me repeat what I said

As for suggesting the royals get where they are due to merit I find it hard to believe, even on stw , that anyone can be that naive.

Not sure i have made any comment on his ability to fly a helicopter or to command a unit or to join the SAS. I simply made the point that being HRH and called Windsor opens some doors for you such as getting there in the first place to be trained – do you really think he had just as much chance as anyone else in being recruited?

What standard he can fly to I have no idea and made no comment on it.

Hilarious so many of you think the Royals dont get special treatment How can anyone think that being HRH does not open doors for you 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Ministry of Defence Cuts (Prince Harry)’ is closed to new replies.