Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Minispresso or Nanospresso
  • winston
    Free Member

So looks like my cycling adventures will be shorter and closer to home for a while.

Thought I’d make them a little more interesting by making coffee and cooking on the trail to get me out of the house for longer than just bashing round a local loop.

Thought I’d start on the coffee front with an espresso…..Wacaco seems to be the way to go but which one?

Is the Nanospresso worth the extra? or will I be fine with the Minispresso?

TheFlyingOx

Mate of mine has a nanopresso and he loves it. They’re a lot cheaper now than when he bought – I think he was north of £70.

zilog6128

interested in this vs. Aeropress (which is great but a bit bulky for bikepacking!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    winston
    Free Member

well the mini is 40 for the ground and 44 for the capsule

nano is 65 but then another 20 if you want a capsule adaptor

so basically you can buy 2 mini’s for the price of 1 nano…..

jimdubleyou

I have a nano, it’s pretty neat. I have the barista adapter to do a double shot. It also comes with a couple of double filter baskets which you can pre fill and tamp.

The whole kit packs down much smaller than my aeropress which is only used for car camping now.

Not used or seen the mini.

grum
    Free Member

I have the nanopresso and it’s cool but you want the barista kit too really imo so it’s extra spends

winston
    Free Member

Yes – I had just reached that conclusion before reading the last 2 posts….so thats £85! Oh well, my wife probably spends that every month on costa!

fossy

What’s this magic-ery ! I need one of them…

Kryton57

I have the nanopresso with the Nespresso (other compatible capsules are available) fitment.  I use mine for camping as with coffee grounds it can be a little messy, but with capsules it’s very good on a campsite.   There is a certain pleasure in the process.

somafunk

If its any good to anyone I have one of these Cafflano Kompresso things, tried it a few times in the house and it does make a very decent espresso with fresh ground beans but I will never use it due to being housebound these days, £25 posted

kimura54321

I had the nanopresso and barista kit, sold it on as it is a lot of faff even in the house and it had too many parts to clean easily.

Also agree with James Hoffman in his review, I prefer a larger warming mug of something for camping or climbing trips.

Switched to an Aeropress instead, even got a nifty little Scottish made hand grinder that fits inside the body of it. Tidier clean up as it compresses the grounds to get rid of easily.

http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p52/Aergrind.html

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Keep an eye on sportpursuit for the wacaco ones. They seem to come up every few weeks

jam-bo

Aeropress Go? Looks like it packs down a lot smaller.

stevemorg2

Not quite the same but if anyone is interested I’m selling my handpresso – my wife bought it as a surprise for me but TBH Its sat doing nothing

https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-pump-black-16.html

stevious

I’ve looked at these and the cost/weight of them put me off for backpacking/bikepacking. For something less bulky than an aeropress I use a wee silicone pour-over filter (wolekok is the brand I think) and take the filters pre-loaded with grounds.

Obviously no use to you OP if you want to make espresso, but if like me you find you want to enjoy a longer drink it could be worth trying (and is very low cost).

sparksmcguff

I have noting constructive to add to this thread. But those nanopress things look far too much faff and I’d rather just have a cup of instant. 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

interested in this vs. Aeropress (which is great but a bit bulky for bikepacking!)

Its a slightly awkward shape but interms of space, i just pack the plunger with coffee and tea bags and filters and put it in upsidedown and its not much bother.

easily
    Free Member

I had the minipresso. When it broke I replaced it with the Nano, which is much better – smaller, slightly easier to use and clean, makes better espresso.

I cannot recommend these highly enough. My home machine broke and I haven’t bothered to replace it as I prefer the brew from the Nano (I only have to make one cup at a time – if you were making them for 3 or 4 people it would be a pain).

It is all quite pricey, and weighs a bit, and it’s a bit of a faff … but when you are drinking a freshly made espresso out in the middle of nowhere it suddenly seems all worth it

zilog6128

Its a slightly awkward shape but interms of space, i just pack the plunger with coffee and tea bags and filters and put it in upsidedown and its not much bother.

true… I’ve seen a few people cut down some of the flanges to make it a bit more space efficient

However just googling now I’ve literally just found the Aeropress Go which is a new (ish) travel version! Apparently brews the same but fits in a mug!

chowsh
    Free Member

If anyone who uses an aeropress wants a full pack of filters and 1 metal filter drop me a pm and I’ll post them to you. Mine died and I’m not replacing it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

How did it die? You can buy new and improved seals now.

chowsh
    Free Member

Bit late for that now! Rubber went all sticky and was too hard to push. Just use filter or Nespresso machine now.

grum
    Free Member

Aeropress makes really good tasty coffee especially inverted, and gives excellent bang for buck from your coffee. It’s not espresso though, or even close.

Most reviews have suggested the aeropress go isn’t worth it as you don’t save that much space and lose volume of coffee.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I also did the Minipresso to Nanopresso upgrade route. My Minipresso started to spill through the seals under pressure – probably more to do with my grind than a failure of the minipresso.

However, the nanopresso can handle twice the pressure apparently and with the barrista add on, its great. The extra pressure means that you can get a far more consistent and richer crema, and as mentioned, yes, its a bit of a faff, but when you’re out camping or in the middle of nowhere, its bloody lovely.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Minispresso or Nanospresso’ is closed to new replies.