Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Minions v Magic Mary – dans les Alps.
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK, Sunday night and everyone loves a tyre question to distract you from Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow.

Off to the Alps next week, I’m expecting some rain and whether or not this happens I’m considering some Magic Mary’s (2.35 folding Vertstar Super Gravity) as an option over my Minions 3C Maxterras – anyone willing and kind enough to share some opinions – ideally where you’ve used both?

Used the minions in the wet and felt a little scary but this may be a pressure issue.

Cheers in advance.

creamegg
    Free Member

Can’t see you going wrong with either. Both good tyres, more of a Schwabble man myself, and going to the Alps in a few weeks and will be running magic Mary SG vertstar front and trail star rear, or if it’s dry hand dampf rear. Some of my mates will have maxxis on

Northwind

How much rain? It’ll need to be pretty wet before the minion stops crapping on the mary ime.

kjrogers

I ran minion DHR2 and DHF 3C Maxterra EXO last year and they were spot on. Can’t get them this year and I’m running WTB vigilantes but to be honest I prefer the feel from the minions.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Off to Les Deux Alpes Thurs to Sun and the weather looks horrendous – thinking of diverting to Les Gets / Morzine.

If it’s a close call on the Minion v MM then I may stick to the Minion just to save some dollars.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

2.5 DHF 3C is a good tyre but if it is slick rock you are worried about then in my opinion On-One Chunky Monkey are king on that stuff but it is a trade off as CM floats on mud where as DHF bites really well.

ahsf
    Free Member

Mountain weather is showing sunny 24-28degs later in the week for les 2alpes but it can change, been stunning the last 6 days, I have been on minions front and rear for the last few years riding in the Alps even in very wet conditions. 1 set of tyres last’s me a year riding most weekends in the Alps maybe change them for new when racing then swap back after.

legend
    Free Member

If you’re in Morzine and its wet you’ll be wanting a Wet Scream or Dirty Dan (DH versions)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

ahsf – what forecast site are you using? Checked a few and forecasting ridiculous weather.

For example…

ahsf
    Free Member

French mountain weather, 90% of the time it’s right but changes over night (the mountains have that effect)

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/les-2alpes/38860

wallop

I just bought some minions from probikeshop.fr if anyone’s after some maxxis rubber…

finners

It agree with Legend. When it’s wet in Morzine, it’s wet. I went for t Wetscream up front and narrow minion on the rear. Still have decent grip due to the side lugs. But the Wetscream gripped better.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion!

Also, the forecast for our part of the Alps at least is basically Scorchio! Scorchio! Scorchio! Scorchio! Scorchio!

No sign of any significant rain on the horizon at all. We’re hub-deep in dust already. 😀

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Stevo -where are you? I’m seeing a range of forecasts for next week and know it can change rapidly

williams
    Free Member

Just got back from ppds today and its been HOT and forcast was just getting hotter all this week for Les Gets / morzine

Simon

rugbydick

Last time I was in the Alps I ran with a MM front / Hans Dampf rear combo (this was riding the Transprovence).
    Year before was Minion DHF at both ends (this was riding the Mega and all sorts of other stuff a week either side).

All great tyres for getting your maximum schralp on.

If you’ve already got Minions, I’d save the cash to spend on cheese and cured meats.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

THe minions are up against Scarlet Overkill, not muddy Mary – you may be watching a pirate copy.

welshfarmer

^^^^ 😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered why the Maxxis Logo is yellow.

Sticking with Minion’s up front leading the charge.

Pukeko
    Free Member

@ Wallop

What have you got?

email me: roy_nicholsonATyahooDOTcom

Cheers, Roy

Burchy1
    Free Member

Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion! Minion!

Also, the forecast for our part of the Alps at least is basically Scorchio! Scorchio! Scorchio! Scorchio! Scorchio!

No sign of any significant rain on the horizon at all. We’re hub-deep in dust already.

What he said, although i popped my front minion during the Enduro 2 race at the weekend so used a shorty, which was really good in the thick silty dust! 😀

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Now we’re out here the dust is nuts – minion holding up well

wonderchump
    Free Member

Boo Yah

wallop

@pukeko – sorry, I was just implying that maxxis is available in France – I’m not actually selling any.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Minions v Magic Mary – dans les Alps.’ is closed to new replies.