Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Minions for mud?
  • zippykona

My 27.5 x 2.8 minions are ace in the mud. Will the 29 x 2.3 perform to a similar standard?
    I’ve not seen many people raving about the mud performance.

tomhoward

They’re OK, but shorty’s are much better.

kelvin

2.6 version has wider spaced knobs than 2.3 … works better in mud for me … neither great though

ayjaydoubleyou

depends on the mud. we are quite a diverse island geologically.

dc1988

Yeah, nah. There are much better mud options out there. DHF is my summer front tyre but winter means a Shorty

singlespeedstu

If you think a 2.8 Minion is good in the mud I can only presume your mud isn’t very slippy or even muddy.
    My + bike gets 29er wheels with a Shorty on the front when it gets muddy round here.

fooman

Shorty

Assegai/Minion DHR2, but the minute it starts getting funky the Shorty goes on the front.

nickc

which Minion though? DHR are OK (ish) but DHF are pretty bad.

VanHalen

i wouldnt go near mud with a 2.8 tyre. you just float on top and its death. (2.8 butchers and recons tried here)

i do love a minion though. quite happy riding the soft compound ones all year. although i dont own any at present.

depends on whether you think sideways is fun i guess – i do. – and the type of mud.

joebristol

Minion dhf is an ok all rounder. The dhr2 is better in mud.

I use the dhf uk front for 3/4 of the year then it’s hillbilly or magic Mary for the sloppy 1/4 of the rest of the year.

On the rear in the summer it’s now a rekon on the full suss and a slaughter on the hardtail. In the winter I run a Forekaster on the rear of the hardtail and a dhr2 on the fs.

But I like playing with tyres – others would just leave the minion on all year round.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sticky mud round my way. Its either a shorty or a mary for me. Pretty much interchangeable ime

pothead
    Free Member

They’re OK, but shorty’s are much better.

100% this ^^^^^^

Northwind

Yep, as above depends entirely on your mud. 2.8 can’t cope AT ALL with deep squishy mud, it’s too big to cut in and create grip effectively. But it’ll find hard bits in mixed soft really well (like, classic “innerleithen mud full of stones and roots” since it’s big and squidgy. A narrower minion will do better in the soft but probably not as well in the mixed stuff.

But for proper orrible mud, something like a shorty maxxgrip is just on another planet, there’s no comparison.

escrs
    Free Member

Assegai’s 2.5WT front and rear for Spring, Summer and Autmun on my E-mtb

Shorty’s in 2.4WT front and rear for winter

zerocool

Not really, but they will outperform the 2.6s in every other condition. 2.35 DHFs we’re pretty much perfect. They got worse as they got bigger than 2.5.

zippykona

i wouldnt go near mud with a 2.8 tyre. you just float on top and its death.

As a fatbike rider I was expecting the same but was pleasantly surprised.
    Riding North Downs so plenty of slippy mud

doomanic

Assegai on the front until it gets wet and sloppy, then it’s a Shorty. DHR2 on the rear all year round. It used to be a Mary on the front all year round, but the Shorty is markedly better when it’s properly wet.

zippykona

Alright then what shorty for wheels on the ground xc?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.