Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Minion or High Roller
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

sharkattack is DW under a new log in and I claim my £5. Every time I’ve run a Minion on the front (Fort Bill, French Alps, Swiss Alps, Spain, Morocco, Colorado, India) its been fine.

Or is it too much of an imaginative leap to make to think that people might subjectively like different characteristics from a tyre?

hora
    Free Member

Ardents wear too quick to be a 3 season tyre.

Just swapped out 2xardents for front minion on rear and a HR2 on the front. I was going to return the HR as I found it just too heavy but Rutlandcycles costs you a tenner to return such things on their mailorder.

Maxxis say my tyre is 920gm. I doubt that. It weighs more than my two-ply swampthing (using my hand scales)

tomaso
    Free Member

Comp 16/24 were the business and still have a pair in the garage.
    HR seems a bit of a Marmite tyre. I like them and was also impressed with the HR2 but its too much on the rear for me.

Currently got a minion on the back that is a testament to why I ride dual ply – its got slices in it and the sides have threads poking out from grazing rocks but its still going and still gripping but not puncturing!

Did have a big 2.5 triple compound Minion on the front that was fantastic, but crikey they are dear. Current front is as good but costs buttons – thumbs up for the On One Chunkey Monkey dual compound.

Temped to try a CM on the rear…

mindmap3
    Free Member

That’s a porky old tyre Hora even at its quoted weight. Is that dual or single ply? Especially for one that’s not going to be anywhere near its quoted size (not dissing Maxxis because I like they’re tyres but I’m currently liking my Hans Dampf’s which are big and a chunk lighter than my old single ply High Rollers).

hora
    Free Member

Tomaso I question maxxis’ s QC. All my Maxxis die before the tread is halfworn.

They all develop that cresent shaping on the sidewall as if you’d ridden on the tyre/rim flat for 3miles. After two Ardents did this within weeks the Importer agreed and replaced them. Gave up after that.

pictonroad

Are people seriously suggesting that when you lean over on a High Roller you ride along on that little bit of slick tyre and end up in the dirt? I really have no idea what you’re getting at other than people have heard the “oh yeah high rollers, dead spot etc etc…” and just copy each other. I can dig my High Rollers in so much harder than any other tyre. Those side knobs are magic.

Amen, I’ve been wincing at this for a while now. High rollers are great round here, I think where you live probably affects your opinion a lot.

tomaso
    Free Member

Hora my Maxxis always hold together long enough for the tread to be worn away. I mostly ride rocky Lakelandtrails at night and they grip and don’t puncture. At 1,080 grand for a rear they are not light but they suit my purposes. The wear they show is more a testament to their strength than signs of weakness.
    But the On One cheap Maxxis tyres seem to do as well on the front as the more expensive Minions.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Are people seriously suggesting that when you lean over on a High Roller you ride along on that little bit of slick tyre and end up in the dirt? I really have no idea what you’re getting at other than people have heard the “oh yeah high rollers, dead spot etc etc…” and just copy each other. I can dig my High Rollers in so much harder than any other tyre. Those side knobs are magic.

More to do with the rounded profile IMO. They do feel ‘drifty’ combined with an open tread. The squarer profile of the HR2 seems to work better than the original. It’s still not got the bite of a Minion DHF though.

It’s not just type of riding and terrain that can affect how a tyre feels, rim profile cam make a huge difference to tyre shape too.

Me personally, dislike the old High Roller, like the HR2, love Minion DHF’s.

hora
    Free Member

I don’t ‘get’ the Minion on the front at all- it feels very very tall and makes me nervous?!! Whereas the likes of the Ardent and Swampting felt right.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yeah but we all know you’re a special case, right? 😉

Ardent on the back is a nice tyre, low centre knobs, so rolls pretty well for given grip, nice sized side knobs so it’s got some decent bite when you lean it over.

Swampthings – I don’t really have anything positive to say about (from a DH perspective anyway) They were a truely awful tyre. I can’t think of any circumstances I would want to run one. Most conditions – Minion. Soft & loamy or sh*tty & muddy, cut down Wetscreams.

But, we are all different, and like different things..

hora
    Free Member

Different trails/conditions too. I briefly put an old favourite from the Surrey Hills (a conti Survival pro 2.3) on the front last weekend. I washed out the front on lose rocks in the silliest place and it was very slidy upfront all ride.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

in a stright line a minion front rolls faster than a high roller, but it doesn’t have as much grip for breaking or pedalling.

HR front advantage rear has been an entertaining combination.

Northwind

crashtestmonkey – Member

sharkattack is DW under a new log in and I claim my £5.

GW? Nah, GW’s one acceptable tyre was a 2.35 Minion pumped up to a million psi, if you used anything bigger it made you officially a girlyman.

wilko1999
    Free Member

:D”Are people seriously suggesting that when you lean over on a High Roller you ride along on that little bit of slick tyre and end up in the dirt? I really have no idea what you’re getting at other than people have heard the “oh yeah high rollers, dead spot etc etc…” and just copy each other. I can dig my High Rollers in so much harder than any other tyre. Those side knobs are magic.”

Finally someone talking sense, I’ve always thought this when people talk about the dead spot but never bothered posting it up. I used to use them exclusively and never experienced a dead spot. How on earth could you ride along on just that tiny strip of tyre where there is no tread? Plus the tyre deforms under the riders weight etc so the knobs all squash together. A total myth. (in my opinion 😀 )

hora
    Free Member

Perpetuated by the steed-riding, hard-riding, demi-29’ers at bikeradar.

kudos100
    Free Member

I started on HR’s (which I loved) and then rode Minions and Butchers. I went back to High Rollers in the alps this summer, as that is all I had, and found them less confidence inspiring than the Minion-esq tyres I have been riding.

I’m not sure about a dead spot, but the HR definitely feels more vague at certain points, whereas the minion is predictable in almost all situations.

If leant over enough and when braking in a straight line it works wonders, but is less forgiving overall.

Euro
    Free Member

Apart from some terrible Michelins that came with my On One, i’ve only ever rode HRs. The infamous dead spot thing has never been an issue for me and before i read about it on here i never knew it existed. There might be better tyres around but for 99% of the time the HRs don’t cause me any concern.

A few mates have started to use Spesh tyres and reckon they’re pretty good and keenly priced.

deanfbm
    Free Member

HRs are awesome, generally grip real well, start being a girl pants (or intentionally getting loose) and they soon start getting out of shape, but as soon as you tell them to grip, they do with really trust worthy bite.

Minions are pretty awesome too, generally more grip, lees outright grip if that makes sense.

Both tyres sit in a bit of a weird place for what i want out of tyres though, i want fast ill run nobby nics which roll expentially faster and acceptably less grip, then barons when i want grip which are loads grippier and only a little bit slower.

scant
    Free Member

I love minions, but they’re not the fastest rolling tyres. I dont mind a highroller on the rear, but they do tend to wear pretty fast in my experience.
    I actually prefer a hans dampf to both

theocb
    Free Member

High rollers are only good for the DHs. Very Draggy and hard work for any trail that isn’t a cliff

beicmynydd
    Free Member

“High rollers are only good for the DHs. Very Draggy and hard work for any trail that isn’t a cliff’

Don’t Agree with the above at all.

You say Very Draggy but what does that equate to on a 10 min fire road climb ?

rb
    Free Member

Having moved to Wales I have found I need to change tyre,thought about hr or minions. Because I’m fed up with snake bites.would I be better of going tubeless
    R

beicmynydd
    Free Member

rb

Don’t bother with tubless been there not worth the faff.

Go for a HR try single ply first.

I tend to stick with a single ply on the front and Dual on the back.

Works for me Coed y Brenin, Snowdon and Antur Stiniog,

rb
    Free Member

Thanks beicmynydd. Was looking at dual ply for the rear,hoping to go to antur Stiniog in oct.

munkyboy
    Free Member

42 super tacky hr front 60a hr rear works like a charm

Northwind

beicmynydd – Member

You say Very Draggy but what does that equate to on a 10 min fire road climb ?

Being unneccesarily tired. But draggy’s not just annoying on the way up, it slows you down all the time. I went with dual supertackies at fort william, stupid idea, the extra drag kills you on the motorway. Excess drag’s always annoying.

Euro
    Free Member

Single ply and a bit more air Northwind? Three pinch flats in six years with that combo, which isn’t bad really (?).

42 super tacky hr front 60a hr rear works like a charm

Yup. Simple but effective and saves you having to worry about tyres 😀

Northwind

Flatted with a dualply and 40psi! There is no tyre combo in the world that’s immune to my line choices, an optimistic overtake near the deerfence got me 😆 (fwiw a maxxpro or similiar on the back would have been bang on, but I didn’t have one… just musing on drag in general)

hora
    Free Member

Wow 3 rides on a expro Minion on the rear and I’ve got worn out sidewalls with the crescent-shaped wear with one rip.

Is this right? Time to try another brand.

Northwind

The crescent shapes don’t mean the tyre’s worn out incidentally… But the rip probably does!

discoduck
    Free Member

Hora
    Where did you ride to shred a DH tyre in 3 Rides ?

I rode GT red then Inlthn red on sat with a pair of HR’s that have now been on 3 different bikes let alone 3 rides ?

The rear is lacking tread in the centre section tho, i could feel it letting go in the corners a tad but then the side knobs dug in and all was well !

hora
    Free Member

I last rode a trail centre over 18months ago I think.

Where we ride the rain has washed around the rocks/loose aggregate alot so your landing into dells of loose rock etc. It makes it lively.

Saying that I’ve been riding in the Peaks for 8yrs now. The Maxxis tyres now definitely seem weaker on the sidewalls. I’ve also ripped the tread-section in the carcass of two EXO Ardent tyres.

discoduck
    Free Member

Ive got HR’s on as ive said in all my previous posts 🙄

Ive ridden The Peaks for A Long time and Wharncliffe etc….. anyway, the last time i rode down The Beast “Top Bit” thats a bit nadgery i scalped my 1 week old Stans Flow EX Rims with some big gouges and paint off but not a scuff on the tyres ?

Saying that im only 8 stone………. Joking 15 Without riding gear !

Cough
    Cough

😳

hora
    Free Member

Discoduck theres one bit on the beast- a very tight V of rocks. I imagine this hasnt helped my rear…..but why are my fronts utterly mint?!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I dont understand why people buy other tyres than high rollers , just madness and ignorance 🙄

discoduck
    Free Member

Hora, dunno ? my rear is pitted and worn but the front looks mint ?

its got to be a weight / braking / traction thing ?
    hasnt it ?

hora
    Free Member

Must be- sidewalls bell/bulge meaning they catch more?

rockhopperbike

justa simple question- is there a non tubeless version of the minion and HR that you can run tubeless- I know ball of flames and perilous danger, but the 2ply I fancy dosent seem to come in tubeless ready- or if it does it weighs more than mercury

TIA

docrobster
    Free Member

Rockhopperbike: single ply maxis tyres work fine tubeless with sealant. I’ve done it with HRs in 42 and 60a, minion dhf, advantages in various sizes. On Stan’s and dtswiss rims.
    My own contribution to this thread is like many others, minion front hr rear.
    Although I’ve recently put a purgatory on the back of one bike and it seems promising. Went up and stayed up tubeless without soap with a track pump on a flow. That’s a first for me. Really like the 2bliss tyres.

rockhopperbike

docrobster – Member
    Rockhopperbike: single ply maxis tyres work fine tubeless with sealant. I’ve done it with HRs in 42 and 60a, minion dhf, advantages in various sizes. On Stan’s and dtswiss rims.
    My own contribution to this thread is like many others, minion front hr rear.
    Although I’ve recently put a purgatory on the back of one bike and it seems promising. Went up and stayed up tubeless without soap with a track pump on a flow. That’s a first for me. Really like the 2bliss tyres.

POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Minion or High Roller’ is closed to new replies.