Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Minimum stem length for a handlebar bag
  • belgianwaffle1

I’ve had a few rides on my new rigid bike and I’ve decided I quite like it. I need a good place to store all the spares on long rides and was thinking a handlebar bag.

I was looking at something like this:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2985480/

If I went for an 80mm stem would that be enough clearance? Does anyone have handlebar bags that have worked for them in the past with riser bars?

TIA.

scotroutes

What sort of bag are you thinking of? I have a variety and none need a long stem.

kilo

All our bar bags sit in front of the bars so the stem length makes no difference ( carradice, rapha and one other make )

belgianwaffle1

@scotroutes

Maybe something like this:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODWHBB/podsacs-waterproof-handlebar-barrel-bag

More worried about cable clearance if it is not a drop bar bike where they are tucked away.

scotroutes

Stem length will make no difference to cable clearance.

Consider some sort of stand-off, like a few rubber spacers over the straps. I certainly wouldn’t mess around with bike fit in order to carry a bag.

damascus
    Free Member

What @scotroutes said.

Sort your cables out, run them away from the steerer. If your bothered about the frame put tape on the area to protect it

On a long tour you really don’t  want to be over stretched.

Also look at the thread on here about those bags. They didn’t come with great fixings and needed adapting. Px may have fixed this by now, or not.

If your steerer is long enough you can always run two stems, use the lower one as a dummy with a mini bar cut down to mount the bag on. It’s not pretty but it’s effective.

http://mgagnon.net/velo/potence-double.en.php

dyna-ti

What sort of bag are you thinking of?

For bikepacking you can get loads of stuff into that 😉

matt_outandabout

Our bar bags are Altura. Use a Klikfix like this, so protrude in front very securely. Much better than the on trend gravel bag I tried – which flopped around like a day old salmon and rubbed all the paint off anything within reach.

matt_outandabout

To add ^ the little Pod Sac frame bag is more secure, more ‘aero’ and about the same volume.

The bar bag is more accessible and easier to remove – e.g. my phone lives in the top flap, I can unzip and grab as I ride.

I take both on a longer ride, more food, clothes and a hot cuppa 👊

slowoldman

I can’t think of a worse way to choose stem length.

onewheelgood

I can’t think of a worse way to choose stem length.

Just think how much luggage you could carry if you had a 150mm stem!

cookeaa

I keep spares and tools in a little deuter ‘energy’ bag like this:

You can cram quite a bit in them, often with extra space for snacks…

On the MTB and gravel bikes I just keep the (larger) emergency tube strapped to the frame in an out of the way spot like just under the seat/top tube junction, all my bikes have some sort of frame mounted pump (mostly mini pumps mounted adjacent to a bottle cage)…

How much/how bulky are the items you need to carry OP?
    For me an bar mounted bag is more of an “expedition” type choice, I have gotten away with adding a dangly “stem cell” type bag if I need to take extra smaller items/food on a longer ride:

Again quick and easy to fit/remove and don’t require a change of stem…

I’d certainly not Change stem just to accommodate a bag…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Minimum stem length for a handlebar bag’ is closed to new replies.