Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Minimum seat post marker?
  • mur10
    Free Member

I’ve just purchased a new bike. All the parts from my last rig will be going onto my hardtail as a nice wee upgrade for it! I have an Easton EA70 post (350mm) going into a Maxlight XCpro 3 frame. At my riding height the minimum marker is only into the frame by about 1cm or so. I have never had any probs running previous seatposts at this depth however I would like to do some off road touring in Scotland this year with Large backpack on and I am worried that over time the lack of post in the frame and the stresses involved will butcher my frame? What do you think? should it be ok or should I order a 400mm one to be safe? (Thats my gut feeling)

Thanks in advance. 🙂

wwaswas

talk to Dom at Kinesis but there’s two schools of thought on this;

1) you just need to make sure the bottom of the seat post is an inch or so below the bottom of which ever stay/top tube junction is lowest on the seat tube.

2) why not fit the longest available even if 1) is satisified with a shorter post?

if you’ll be dropping regularly then somwhere between 1) and 2) may be best

Sam

If the seat tube is externally butted then you should be able to see how deep it needs to go. If internally you can feel down it with a spoke to see where the butt is. If it’s plain gauge then the old >1″ below the tt junction is a good rule of thumb.

mur10
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I dont really drop the post on my hardtail so I think I’m going to go for a 400mm post, I had a look this evening and the 350mm post doesn’t go down the seat tube all that much at all, about half way where the seat tube and top tube meet, not worth the risk as I’d hate to damage my frame for the sake of a new post. It’s what I suspected but just had to hear it from other folk.

Cheers again for the replies. 🙂

pixelmix
    Free Member

Came across this on a search.

Are you wanting to sell the EA70? I might be in the market for a 350mm 2 bolt EA70 for my CX bike. Drop me an email if you want to sell mur10.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Minimum seat post marker?’ is closed to new replies.