Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mini Track Saw?
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

As per the title – been trying to find something like a mini plunge saw that runs on a track, preferably cordless, and ideally using the same batteries as Makita or DeWalt. Seems like it would be a really useful bit if kit, but doesn’t seem to exist.

Anyone ever come across such a thing?

BigJohn

I can’t even think why a mini track saw would be better than a normal one. A jigsaw against a straight edge is what I use if I don’t want to carry/haven’t got the space for the rest of the kit.

There is a BOSCH GKS 12V-26 cordless saw with an 85mm blade, but not a plunge or rail saw,

Olly
    Free Member

its very easy to make a zero clearance track for a regular ripsaw, and they are very useful.

though two important features of a proper track saw it’s missing are the special grippy no clamp base, and also the anti tearout edge that gives neat edges top and bottom of the work.

You can also get a “system” that is basically a bolt on foot for your ripsaw that mates with a proper track, but i dont think its cheap.

https://www.truetracsaw.com/products/truetrac-8-combo-kit

depends on what your needs are i guess.

Ive got a 120 quid Dewalt 240V rip saw, i wanted mains as the first job was to cut up a pile of oak sleepers, so i wanted the grunt.
    Now ive done that job, and reach for the ripsaw much more often than i thought i would, i would probably get an 18V rip saw, and a 240V track saw, not much in it though, and that is a spendy option.

squirrelking
    Free Member

There is a BOSCH GKS 12V-26 cordless saw with an 85mm blade, but not a plunge or rail saw,

That one’s compatible with the Bosch track. Not cheap mind but none of them really are.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t really see what the advantage is i rarely cut anything thicker than 25mm with my track saw without any trouble. They don’t have particularly great depth anyway.

And i very rarely use it without a hoover attached so cordless doesn’t seem that handy either.

maccruiskeen

Here you go

(edit – correct item linked to)

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/MAFKSS4018V#.X9uNDS2l3GI

I used to use the mains version. That kit comes complete with flexible track roles up and the saw, track and cross cutting system all fit in a single systainer – basically giving you a rail saw and compound mitre saw in one small box. Bloody excellent it was. These saws are compatible with Mafell and Bosch rails which are better (in my opinion) to use than the ones used by festool, Dewalt and makita and are much more robust too. Although I eventually replaced the saw I’m still using the rails I bought for that mini Mafell back in 2006.

The advantage at the time was I lived in a city with little in the way of on street parking – I needed to take my tools back indoors at the end of each days work and often I’d be lucky to park within 3 streets of home – having all that function in one box was really useful – my whole kit for work on set was a box in each hand an a tool bag over my shoulder

benjamins11
    Free Member

I’m sure its lovely – but its eye wateringly expensive!!

maccruiskeen

I’m sure its lovely – but its eye wateringly expensive!!

their stuff has exceptional longevity but that only matters if you use it a lot.

to a great extent though they only really make tools that nobody else does – things like this tiny plunge saw or saws with 2ft diameter blades the price reflects that they’re both manufactured in small volumes and that’s there’s nobody else in that market (a tool to cut all the notches on your barn roof in one 30 second pass? No problem five grand please) Their only real volume seller is their MT55 which used to be the TS55’s  more expensive competitor but is now a better value alternative for more or less the same price. Everything else they do is a mix of niche or just plain weird they’ve no interest in mass market really.

goldfish24

What is it about a regular track saw that makes you want a miniature version? Give us a clue.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

What is it about a regular track saw that makes you want a miniature version? Give us a clue.

An excellent question which sent me off to do a bit more research, the upshot of which was that I spunked a shedload of cash on a Mafell MT55, and bought an adapter plate for my Bosch palm router that lets it run on the Mafell track and do the job I had in mind for the mini saw.

kayak23

An excellent question which sent me off to do a bit more research, the upshot of which was that I spunked a shedload of cash on a Mafell MT55, and bought an adapter plate for my Bosch palm router that lets it run on the Mafell track and do the job I had in mind for the mini saw.

So you basically wanted to cut a groove? You didn’t answer the question 😂

There are a ton of rail adaptors for routers out there that aren’t as expensive, not to mention diy methods.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

So you basically wanted to cut a groove?

I wanted an accurate cut through one layer of material in a confined space without significantly damaging the sublayer, or having to go in from the edge.

I also wanted a track saw for some other work I want to do.

Now I’ve done the job, and I have a track saw – go me…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mini Track Saw?’ is closed to new replies.