Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mini-pumps that actually work?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a pump that can get a road tyre up to around 80 psi? I saw on a thread lat week that the Lezyne Pressure Drive was getting rave reviews. Really that good.

What about the Lezyne Road Drive? Or Topeak Mini-Morph? Or anything else?

Ta.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s not the most mini by I’m very happy with my Bontrager Air Support HV.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Lezyne Pressure Drive – I’ve had numerous pumps over the years and this is by far the best. The extendable hose is a winner too; I’ve had all-in-one pumps sheer valves off in the past.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FOG

Another vote for the Lezyne, my friends all wait for me to arrive when somebody gets a puncture not because I am so popular but because I have a Lezyne which is loads better than the crap they have been carrying around for years in their packs.

iainc

I have a Lezyne Road Drive on good road bike and a Pressure Drive on Adventure bike, both mounted on bottle cages. Both work well. The Pressure Drive is good up to about 80 PSI or so and then labours, the Road Drive is fine to 100 plus. They both get a tyre up to pressure in 4 or 5 mins.

benp1

I have the Road Morph and the Mountain Morph

But I don’t really use these anymore since going tubeless on my MTB and using Marathon+ on my commuter, should sell them really

I found the Lezyne Alloy Drive to be excellent so I imagine the road version of that would be excellent too

jonba
    Free Member
    pocpoc
    Free Member

Mini morph has never let me down on both road and MTB.
    There’s no pressure gauge, but when you’ve got a flat it’s plenty just to give the tyre a squeeze and see how it feels. Much nicer than the alternative of walking!

funkweasel
    Free Member

Topeak Race Rocket (or pocket rocket) worked for me.

sandboy

+1 for the Toepeak pocket rocket. Had mine for years and it always impresses me how quick it inflates a road tyre.

chakaping
    Free Member

What about the Lezyne Road Drive?

It works very well and can quickly pump a 25mm tyre up to 80-100psi.

Fits in a jersey pocket with a tube or two and room to spare.

If I lost mine, I’d buy another right away.

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Think I’ll maybe go for the Road Drive. Sounds a good compromise between something that can get up to a decent pressure but also able to fit in a jersey pocket.

All suggestions much appreciated. Ta.

jekkyl

yup, I concur with the Lezyne. I’ve had several over the years and found this to be the most reliable brand of pump.

takisawa2

Lezyne.
    Thread closed.

RustySpanner

I must be the only person with a crap Lezyne.

The bottom cap unscrews (in fact, everything just continuously comes apart), the o rings are rubbish and it’s fiddly.

First was replaced when the shop couldn’t tighten the bottom cap sufficiently to stop it coming undone.
    Second has been exactly the same.

I assume I was just unlucky, given the general love.
    🙂
    Both Road Drives from when they first came on sale.

pdw
    Free Member

My pressure drive just has rubber caps on each either. Or rather had – I’ve now lost both – but not a big deal.

The one down side of the Lezyne pumps is the screw on hose which can remove your valve cores if they’re removable. Pumping up a tyre only to have it deflate when you attempt to remove the pump is annoying to say the least. There’s a button on the hose to release the pressure, which helps, as does having your valve cores done up tight.

Despite this, it’s one of the bits of kit that I’d definitely recommend, although I might look at the road drive if buying again.

rone

Lezyne. Works and hasn’t broken. All the others have.

philjunior
    Free Member

The morph pumps really are good, although I had 2 of them break after a good few years’ use.

120psi no problem in road tyres, I’ve gone up to 140 for the track bike. I haven’t tried the mini morph, but I’d imagine it would just take slightly longer to reach pressure. No experience of the Lezynes, but I hear they’re pretty good for what they are.

aracer
    Free Member

Timely thread for me – I think my road morph has enough worn out bits it’s not worth trying to rebuild it, and was wondering if there was anything else equivalent or better. I’ve used it to get tyres up to 120psi, so I’m after something capable of that, which it seems the Lezyne recommended isn’t?

guglielmo
    Free Member

I’ve got a road morph, it’s pretty good, does the job on road and MTB tyres, a bit slow on MTB but it’s a thin road pump.

Only gripes are the extendable hose is not long enough so you have to get super close to the rim/valve and the T-handle wants to fold back in on every stroke. 2 stupid design glitches there but it gets the job done.

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t often ride with a pack, does the Lezyne stand up to being covered in muck if it’s frame mounted?

martinhutch

My Lezyne didn’t mind getting muddy too much. There was a rubber cover for the business end.

Its only fault is a love for screwing out the valve core rather than itself just as you’ve got the bloody tyre up to pressure.

EDIT I see that has been covered!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Saw someone with a floor pump small enough to fit in a bag. Might have been the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. Not sure how good they are, but much prefer floor pump action than making the arms ache trying to get a mini hand pump to get beyond 1psi.

Anyway, interested in this but from an MTB point of view, carrying a backpack but one that’s small with very little space. That said I’m trying to get it down to minimal stuff so I can ride without a pack for shorter rides, so may just stick with CO2.

retro83
    Free Member

when people talk about the lezyne road drive, is it the metal one or the plastic?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve got a Topeak Pocket Rocket.

It’s crap.

thepodge
    Free Member

Where is the Leyzene hose stored? I imagine this would go missing in no time with me.

jekkyl

inside the barrel, it’s double ended (oeer mrs) for presta and schrader.

simondbarnes

Where is the Leyzene hose stored?

Inside the pump. It screws in. Sometimes it even comes out again 🙂
    (I’d definitely recommend greasing or anti-seizing the thread and also removing it from time to time to stop it welding itself in there)

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks, think I’ll order one as my old Decathlon one (which was ace and only a fiver) has dies and I’m generally impressed with my other Lezyne stuff.

hairylegs
    Free Member

I’d definitely recommend greasing or anti-seizing the thread and also removing it from time to time to stop it welding itself in there

+1 top tip … learnt the hard way here!!

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, so in answer to my question, it looks like the Lezyne Micro Floor drive is equivalent to a Road Morph. Has anybody got one, and do they work well (it looks like it might be more robust in the places the Morph has broken)?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mini-pumps that actually work?’ is closed to new replies.