Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 173 total)
  • Mini DV Camera – Thoughts & Question
  • Notter
    Free Member

After the thread earlier this week for the £15 video camera from ebay, mine arrived yesterday! First impressions are pretty good, can't believe how small it is and picture quality looks good. Not taken it biking yet, got to figure out the best way to mount it first! Can't really argue for the price I reckon.

Now, it was mentioned that a faster SD card helps in terms of picture quality but looking at the properties on my card I can't see anything relating to this, anyone know how I can tell what speed the card is?

AlteredCarbon
    Free Member

There's normally a number on the card which indicates the 'Class' or speed – usually 2, 4 or 6. The higher the number, the greater the speed.

Stoner
    Free Member

as carbon says, on the SDHC cards (which the DV can take) there is a number with a circle around it. If it doesnt have it, you probably are using an older version microSD pre-SDHC.

Mine arrived day before yesterday, but Ive only used it inside in low light. Works fine with no jumpiness with a class 4 SDHC Micro I nicked from my phone.

Dont bother with the CD that comes with the DV – it adds nothing and is mostly in chinese. The Engrish translation of the manual is a bit woeful too, but it's not a complicated thing to operate.

Looking forward to trying it out sometime properly. Can really fault it for the money.

Vortexracing

Mine just arrived and I used a spare 2gb card Probably not a SDHC. Results are crap TBH, really jumpy

anybody got a link to a decent card?

Notter
    Free Member

Ah ok, I think it's an older card then, definitely no circled number!

Stoner
    Free Member

7 day shop do class 4 4GB SDHC MicroSD for about £8

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=103205

Vortexracing

cheers stoner

Notter
    Free Member

What's the highest speed, is it 4?

Stoner
    Free Member

class 8.

But when I asked about this in here the other day, I think it was agreed that you dont need any faster than 2 or 4 because the write requirement of the DV wont use any greater speeds.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/image-file-size-question

but, since the incremental price isnt exceptional, you may just go for highest spec for future proofing a bit.

Notter
    Free Member

Cheers to Stoner from me too!

Andituk
    Free Member

From the videos I've seen, and the review on Youtube, they definetly work better on class 6 than 2. I've ordered a samsung class 6, £19 off ebay, still quids in over the more expensive versions of the camera.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Would I be able to use a 16GB card? I know the camera's only supposed to go up to 8GB. I'm not sure if that means I'll be able to use 8GB of my 16GB card, or it just won't work at all.

Stoner
    Free Member

be very careful with cards on eBay.

Ive had a hookey Sony memory stick.

Outwardly it has the right size of memory but the write speeds can be rubbish fakes.

Stoner
    Free Member

dunt – the instruction manual says it will take 16GB

duntmatter
    Free Member

Brill, cheers Stoner

DaveE

Mine came friday but card only ordered thurs from memorybits.co.uk
    4gb for £9 class 6 as well.
    looking forward to testing it over Xmas.
    Any tips for mounting (bike or Rider)

singlespeedstu

Any tips for mounting (bike or Rider)

I'm thinking of mounting mine in the bin.

With it's shonky switches , shite battery life and inability to see whether it's on or not I think it's the best place for it. 😯

lyons
    Free Member

can anyone post a link of this camera, or the original discussion? CHeers

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

got mine friday. so far so good.

granny_ring

Explosion In a Spaghetti Factory, if you are going to bin it can you send it to me please? 😉

I'll throw a few coffers in the stw beer fund and cover postage

crustygoods
    Free Member

Have just "subtly" got the wife to buy me one for Crimbo, so heres hoping it is good – or atleast ok for the money!

Yep, she is the last of the big spenders …..

mrl

Got one of these and it seems to work well, with decent battery life. Only one problem. I am currently using a cheap 1gb sd card that came with my Nokia phone. If I shoot a short video (100-500mb) I can get it off the card easily. However if I fill the card up (it fills up an automatically stops recording) I cannot get the file off. I am just dragging and dropping using Windows explorer. An error saying incompatibility parameter comes up. Given that I can get small files off it might suggest that it is a problem with the card. However I am not sure, has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

mrl- any chance you can upload a video to see what the quality is of the camera that so many of us seemed to have purchased from ebay?
    nick

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Nick – I shall be posting a video of my camera definately tommorow. I shall stick it on mediafire so you can see the quality in its full glory.

user-removed
    Free Member

Wish I'd bought mine from the UK seller, rather than lucky_allan in HK – still waiting 🙁

My class 6 memory card arrived today though 🙂

I'm thinking of using it in conjunction with my compact camera (which also does vids) – perhaps have the compact on a tripod to cover all angles….

Just as an aside, what software are folk using (if any) to put their videos together? I have a copy of Roxio which I won in a competition – is it worth getting to grips with?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

win movie maker always seems to tick boxes for ease and function for myself…

rumbledethumps – that would be great if so, posting a link here also would be cool..

stew1982
    Free Member

How is that a Mini DV Camcorder? – Mini DV is a tape format!

Oh and it depends on the recording bit rate at which it records as to whether you need a Class 4 or 6 card. Generally if it's high def then a 4 or 6 will improve performance!

Most of the advert on ebay don't make sense! – be interested to see the footage and it's quality!

allthepies
    Free Member

OK, Mini (as in it's small) DV (as in digital video, which it how it records data).

🙄

Trigger
    Free Member

Neat, I remember seeing an earlier thread on this Gizmo – well done to those that ordered! Did everyone who actually has one now get it from:

UKSupplier

If so is it metal/plastic, 720*480/640*480 and with switch/button on the side?

rumbledethumps – very interested to see the video clip, I suppose that's the proof of quality in the end…?

SidewaysTim

What's it like for secretly videoing you and the missus in a dimly lit bedroom? Anyone got any footage?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

lol hahahaha

grumm
    Free Member

Wish I'd paid a couple of quid more and ordered from the uk – not got mine yet.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i hadnt realised there was a uk seller, i still got 25 days to wait apparently according to my email i recieved!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

anychance of that vid guys?

caledonia
    Free Member

I dropped a HUGE hint to the Mrs last night, so I'd also love to see some actual shots from it !

kimbers
    Stoner
    Free Member
    Nick_Christy
    Free Member

if thats true speed of cam, i am well happy lol… £15! baragin.

i will take it skiing and biking. when it eventually comes through to me.

nick

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Mini DV Camera – Thoughts & Question’ is closed to new replies.