Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • mini cooper with helicopter turbine engine.
  • racefaceec90

i’m not into cars usually,but i’d like to give this a go 🙂 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CDBFAt3uqrc#![/video]

part 2 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPqmfD-PkA[/video]

althepal

Bonkers..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why, I can’t see how that would be any good at all.

Tom83

Not a proper mini though 😉

althepal

What Tom said!

shifter
    Free Member

Not a proper mini though

It’s 2012, things have changed since the sixties, get over it winker 😉

Tom83

shifter – Member

It’s 2012, things have changed since the sixties, get over it winker

lol 😆

shifter
    Free Member

The “real Mini” thing winds me up, can you tell? 😳 😀

Tom83

I’d like a cooper s works, and like the idea of the clubvan that’s due out soon. But give me a classic one any day! I’ve always had classics since i could drive, including a few quick ones, so have a soft spot for them.

shifter
    Free Member

Same here. Would gladly have a new one and on old one.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i can’t wait til I retire and have too much time on my hands…. I’ll be making a Toyota Yaris powered by a Mculloch strimmer engine 😆

PrinceJohn

Apart from the fact he’s put the helicopter engine in its a bit rubbish, was certainly expecting a quicker drag strip performance

Klunk
    Free Member

rover tried gas turbines years ago, IIRC they canned it because it was odd to drive due to a lack of engine braking.

highclimber
    Free Member

WTF, Effing yanks. I don’t get it!

higgo
    Free Member

I went to watch some racing at Castle Combe once in the mid-80s. There was a mini there with a renault turbo engine (from a 5 or a 19, I guess) where the back seat should be and a 4wd system rigged up.

This thing had been lashed together by some farmer’s boys with too much time and access to tools. It won every round it raced in (until it ceased to function) but the results didn’t count as it didn’t fit any of the recognised classes.

It was an awesome machine – very quick in a straight line and didn’t slow down for corners. British barn engineering at its best.

MrNutt
    Free Member

its a little BMW not a mini, they’ve even got square headlights now. nonsense.

footflaps

Did seem a bit slow for all that effort!

higgo
    Free Member

its a little BMW not a mini, they’ve even got square headlights now. nonsense.

It’s the BMW ownership that irks me. Not that I’m anti-BMW but it’s not their heritage they’re exploiting. I don’t have an issue with modern Fiat (or Abarth) 500s or new VW Beetles.

Harry_the_Spider

Meh.

This is how to put an aero engine in a car.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMxFE37Sxw&hl=en-GB&gl=GB[/video]

shifter
    Free Member

Tata make cars, we don’t call them Jags and we don’t call Jags “posh Tatas”.

bencooper
    Free Member

The point of a Mini was that it was, well, “mini”.

When it’s the size of a SUV, it’s not a Mini, it’s a Maxi.

Sandwich

A hand throttle in something that has 400bhp. Poorly executed and no wonder the drag strip times are poor.

alpin
    Free Member

years back i had a saturday job at Ikea. one of the guys there used to occasionally turn up in one of his brother’s creations. a Mini, gutted out and re-fitted with a Rover V6 engine. most of the engine was in the back. two front (racing!) seats, roll cage, wider axle on the back.

they used to fly around the carpark in the evening. crazy little things!

shifter
    Free Member

…and then the BL Owners Club would get uppity about it not being a “real Maxi” 🙂
    By modern standards the current Mini is small.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You can keep all your Mini heritage, it was good in the day though not special. Marketed by Twiggy in a short skirt it simply happened to alleviate catching the Bus or Train to work and you could park it in small London Streets, other than that it was poorly put together, noisy, unreliable and cramped. The only reason it manifested itself in the hearts of Us British is it’s appearance in the Italian Job but then it was driven by driver and passenger only (no one in the back) and even then the amount of work they had to put into the cars to keep them going almost rebuilt them replacing everything that would break. Yes it was the 60’s, but we were building Jets and sending Rockets to the moon.
    I have a mate at the Club who has two, both Coopers, they look nice yes but rattle like a bag of spanners.
    Not a fan of the new ones either, BMW would have been better off badging them as Beemers and that be the end of it though then they couldn’t sell em to the Japanese who for some very odd reason seem to have a bit of a thing for our British Heritage.
    Simple, but effective, Marketing.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

small?
    compared to what?
    not if you compare it to a fiat 500.

ThePinkster

+1 to Bikebouy’s comments.

The new Fiat 500 actually has a larger volume cabin than the Mini (yes, I was surprised as well) and IIRC the 500 is the same car as the new Ford Ka with a different body shell.

chives
    Free Member

Did some throttle bodies years ago for Nick Mann (he of the V8 moggy minor) for his hill climb car. Ford 1700 cross-flow engine, with a huge turbo run by a helicopter turbine – no turbo lag there!!

philbert31
    Free Member

The best mini I ever saw was at a run wot u brung, a lad turned up with an old school mini powered by 2 Yamaha R1 motors, one upfront and one in the back but synced together, 0-60 in 2 seconds, all I can say is that it looked fun!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can keep all your Mini heritage, it was good in the day though not special

Wrong. Just wrong. But I can’t be arsed to argue.

myheadsashed

http://www.kentautodevelopments.com/

Alway wanted on of these 😯

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘mini cooper with helicopter turbine engine.’ is closed to new replies.