Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Mindhunter on Netflix (directed by David Fincher)
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Just watched the first episode and I’m deeply impressed! Dark, atmospheric and interesting photography throughout and a relaxed, meditative pacing that really appeals to me. I’m hoping the rest of the series stays as good!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Snap, wondering quite where it’s going to go next, but as with netflix Ep2 just got loaded. I may rip the big titles thing off for something though 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Really ? Thought it was terrible, and I’m a big David Fincher fan.

The acting was so wooden I though I was going to get splinters.

Will not be bothering with episode 2.

jimjam
    Free Member

Is it all up for binge watching? Haven’t renewed my sub this month but I probably would to check it out. Can’t be arsed if I have to go week by week though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All up here, just picking through something

Wookster

No it’s all available now jimjam currently on ep7. Really enjoying it so far!

jimjam
    Free Member

Oh I’ll have to watch. Thanks

jimjam
    Free Member

Well I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Looking forward to watching the rest over the coming week.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Really ? Thought it was terrible, and I’m a big David Fincher fan.

The acting was so wooden I though I was going to get splinters.

Will not be bothering with episode 2.

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. I barely last 40 minutes before I had to turn it off. I guess our boats float differently.

jimjam
    Free Member

Well I didn’t see much that would really stretch the acting range of any of the performers in the first episode. The lead actor is obviously playing a stiff, uptight or “square” character so I guess that conflates with wooden but I don’t mind him.

There’s some pretty heavy foreshadowing going on that he won’t remain so square. I’m really enjoying Holt McCallany in it and he just seems to be getting better.

The actor playing Ed Kemper is absolutely brilliant. Nothing wooden or hammy about him. Very real, very creepy, very believable. Looking froward to more. I would be reluctant to make any recommendations based on 2 hours out of ten but so far so good. Very few shows really hit the ground running, a possible exception would be True Detective, but this looks like it might span the gap to True Detective S3.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m 4 episodes in and enjoying it, seems to be getting better as it goes. 1st episode wasn’t brilliant but happy i stuck with it.

The actor playing Ed Kemper is absolutely brilliant.

Agreed, he’s engaging, charming, intelligent and incredibly creepy

AlexSimon

Is it grim?
    Don’t normally like watching stuff about relentlessly nasty people.
    I was tempted because I thought Anna Torv was brilliant in Fringe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not much grim to see just some descriptions- well quite a few

shermer75
    Free Member

Nope, not grim, doesn’t show any murders taking place although it refers to them (obvs) and there is the odd photo (shown v briefly and not full screen)

shermer75
    Free Member

On to episode 5 now, so far only the first two are directed by David Fincher (maybe he’ll come back for the last!). I’m still really enjoying it, however the first two definitely had a stronger look and I loved the unpredictableness of it- it always ziggd when I expected it to zag, which is not the case anymore which is a bit of a shame. Amazing performances throughout though- even twisty face Anna Torv is putting in a belter! Great series 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

First episode felt cheap and wooden; but each episode (watched 4th last night) has improved. Only thing I not sure about is the gratuitous sex scenes …

funkmasterp

I think it’s really well done. Going to watch episode five and six tonight. Not found the acting to be wooden at all and think it’s really well shot. Has a sense of foreboding about it.

rone

Yes it’s great.

Clearly parallels with Silence of the Lambs on a much subtler level.

I’m not sure about the sex either, other then it’s part of his awakening and part of modern drama viewing requirements.

I like how it is different to other procedural dramas. The acting is good. There is an innocence about the main character that could be misconstrued as wooden. But I don’t see it.

Ed Kemper is acted superbly.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think we are up to episode 8 now. Rate it highly, very easy to watch. The sub plot investigations are pretty compelling (especially the most recent one). The actor playing Jerry Brudos is also brilliantly creepy. In fact I would have to say the entire cast has been universally good to excellent bar the lead who, I am assuming is shooting for naive / square / socially awkward. And guess that’s how I percieve the character so something about his portrayal works.

I can’t say I find anything about the sex scenes particularly gratuitous.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Excellent story, acting and of course unnecessary sex scenes which I am pro.

Binged 6+3+1 in three sittings.

jimjam
    Free Member

Are we saying the sex scenes were gratuitously explicit, gratuitously frequent or just completely unnecessary?

I might be slightly desensitized by other shows but I really didn’t see anything to raise an eyebrow.

rone

Are we saying the sex scenes were gratuitously explicit, gratuitously frequent or just completely unnecessary?

I felt they were just a bit out of the blue for what is a talky show. Whereas there isn’t any action as such in any other area.

I wouldn’t say explicit, they were just a bit too much too soon for me.

On reflection 7 episodes in they’ve taken a back seat and history might be kinder to them. There has also been a moment in this episode that has tied the sex scenes together with an interesting context.

What a fantastic show though.

I thought Ozark was my most compulsive view this year but this series really has earned its keep.

Just the right length and number
    of episodes too. Designated Survivor show-runners take note.

Drac

Loving I’m up to 4 the acting is pretty good but yes Edmund is played very well, he’s comes across as very disturbing.

I’ve a theory about Holden’s girlfiend but could be I’m looking too much into it.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve finished it now and can’t wait for a second series. Loved it! Would love to know what your tgeory is, Drac! 🙂

Drac

That she’s not real.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m on episode 5.

The main character’s name annoys me though. Holden Ford is a nod to car production in Oz as they’ve just closed the Holden factory and the writer (who’s Australian) wanted to mention this in a roundabout way.

Kemper is great. I have worked in forensic mental health and I find it all quite interesting.

jimjam
    Free Member

Finished it last night. Really good show all in all. If I was being hyper critical I would say that the additional music (not the score) used at the end of some of the episodes didn’t sit well tonally, either with the show in general or the episodes they appeared in, but that is really nitpicking.

I really enjoyed the look of it as well, I think there must have been a conscious decision to make it look like a film or tv show from the period but with a modern twist. It was still lovely to look at. I preferred True Detective’s aesthetic but that was maybe one of the best looking things ever made so….yeah great. Can’t wait for the next season.

mooman
    Free Member

rone – on reflection 7 episodes in they’ve taken a back seat and history might be kinder to them. There has also been a moment in this episode that has tied the sex scenes together with an interesting context.

Yes – the latter sex scene had relevance; quite funny too.
    I am watching The Deuce at moment; pretty good too. The sex scenes there are more frequent, but each one plays its bit towards the bigger story … so their relevant.

rone

If I was being hyper critical I would say that the additional music (not the score) used at the end of some of the episodes didn’t sit well tonally, either with the show in general or the episodes they appeared in, but that is really nitpicking.

I quite like them. Very Sopranos.

Particularly “I don’t like Mondays” , not sure if they all had relevance like that though.

The incidental sound track is really subtle though, and very eerie.

shermer75
    Free Member

That she’s not real.

Chilling!!!

jimjam
    Free Member

rone – Member

I quite like them. Very Sopranos.

Admittedly just nitpicking. They could have kept the songs but had covers which were more in keeping with the show’s idiom but anyway. Nitpicking. I’m actually trying to think of something else negative to say and drawing a blank.

funkmasterp

Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next series. Thought Tench and Wendy were great characters and Kempner was very creepy. Holden got very, very annoying, but I think that’s what they were aiming for, his ego blinding him a bit.

hols2
    Free Member

I am watching The Deuce at moment; pretty good too. The sex scenes there are more frequent, but each one plays its bit towards the bigger story … so their relevant.

That movie theater scene was completely unnecessary, left me scarred.

shermer75
    Free Member

Holden got very, very annoying, but I think that’s what they were aiming for, his ego blinding him a bit.

Quite. I find Holden Ford’s character full of contradictions and endlessly fascinating for it. The performance is spot on, especially considering how difficult it must be to pull off!

CaptJon
    Free Member

I watched the first two episodes last night and i enjoyed it. Regarding the sex scenes, i thought they were to illustrate Holding’s naivety in understanding the world outside of the FBI.

mooman
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member
    I watched the first two episodes last night and i enjoyed it. Regarding the sex scenes, i thought they were to illustrate Holding’s naivety in understanding the world outside of the FBI.

Really? going down on his girlfriend illustrated that??

CaptJon
    Free Member

His gf having to direct him does.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Ok. Gave it another shot, and watched episodes 2 -4. I will have to take it back, and admit that it has grown on me

Some of it I like, and other bits not so much. Now wondering exactly where the story is going, but I’ll stick with it, and see how it develops.

Definitely need to get hold of a copy of the soundtrack though. Some great tunes on there.

km79
    Free Member

It has potential, was pretty decent but don’t think it will be a classic.

rone

The silet shot of the team in the elevator at the end of episode (4 or 5?) where they’ve been reprimanded over their cheeky grant application is a great bit of acting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Mindhunter on Netflix (directed by David Fincher)’ is closed to new replies.