Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mind blowing fact of the day
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Short version: Asking Alexa to switch the lights on isn’t exactly profitable for Amazon!!

If this is even vaguely true it’s pretty mind blowing:
    “The Alexa division is part of the “Worldwide Digital” group along with Amazon Prime video, and Business Insider says that division lost $3 billion in just the first quarter of 2022, with “the vast majority” of the losses blamed on Alexa. That is apparently double the losses of any other division, and the report says the hardware team is on pace to lose $10 billion this year.”

Linky

kelvin

the report says the hardware team is on pace to lose $10 billion this year

The hardware has obviously been a loss leader for years now, to get market share and access to homes. That the money is made elsewhere in the group will surprise no one. It’s like saying an in house marketing department loses money, while the retail elements of the same company gain market share year on year while making vast profits and squashing competitors.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Because all the profit from the associated data mining goes into other bits of the business I imagine.
    Probably a convenient tax dodge as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mashr

The hardware has obviously been a loss leader for years now, to get market share and access to homes. That the money is made elsewhere in the group will surprise no one

There’s something not going to plan though if you’re planned loss leader is losing so much that you start paying people off

oldnpastit

“Hey, Alexa, what tyres for the Surrey Hills?”

Cougar
    muddyground
    Free Member

No data mining here with Alexa. I am from the Midlands. Alexa understands me not at all. Indeed all Alexa is for me is a means to teach swearing to the kids, and for them to laugh at me as it doesn’t understand a word I say.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Sorry, I couldn’t understand that..

zilog6128

The hardware has obviously been a loss leader for years now, to get market share and access to homes.

very true, I had no idea of the scale of it though… $10Bn is a lot even for Amazon!

Will the strategy pay off? Depends whether the people who’ve bought into the Alexa eco-system are “whales” who spend a lot, or if they’ve just bought it as it’s the cheap option cos they’re tight as **** 😂

hooli

No data mining here with Alexa. I am from the Midlands. Alexa understands me not at all. Indeed all Alexa is for me is a means to teach swearing to the kids, and for them to laugh at me as it doesn’t understand a word I say.

Reminded me of this

hite-rite
    Free Member

Without other data it doesn’t tell us much – possibly just that Amazon are heavily investing in the business unit right now.

It doesn’t mean that profits won’t jump when the investment taps are turned off.

It’s possibly not much different than other businesses with high up front development costs e.g. infrastructure projects, oil, pharmaceuticals etc.

Superficial
    Free Member

What if… Alexa understands you just fine (and can harvest your every utterance for the purposes of selling you stuff), it just chooses to discriminate?

oldtennisshoes

The hardware has obviously been a loss leader for years now, to get market share and access to homes. That the money is made elsewhere in the group will surprise no one. It’s like saying an in house marketing department loses money, while the retail elements of the same company gain market share year on year while making vast profits and squashing competitors.

Nope – it’s not a profit centre period.

Just about every plan to monetize Alexa has failed, with one former employee calling Alexa “a colossal failure of imagination,” and “a wasted opportunity.” This month’s layoffs are the end result of years of trying to turn things around. Alexa was given a huge runway at the company, back when it was reportedly the “pet project” of former CEO Jeff Bezos. An all-hands crisis meeting took place in 2019 to try to turn the monetization problem around, but that was fruitless. By late 2019, Alexa saw a hiring freeze, and Bezos started to lose interest in the project around 2020. Of course, Amazon now has an entirely new CEO, Andy Jassy, who apparently isn’t as interested in protecting Alexa.

muddyground
    Free Member

Alexa, please layoff the Alexa division staff.

Sure Jeff. Increasing Alexa staff wages by 100%.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.