Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Mince Pie thread – it’s time!
  • MoreCashThanDash

Partly to get this years recommendations flowing, and partly to express my disappointment with Lidls Deluxe all butter versions – too much dry pastry.

Aldis Irish Whisky ones are pretty good.

monkeyboyjc

Only had Tesco’s ‘jacks’ budget ones so far…  Pastry was ok but no where near enough filling.

v7fmp

Picked some up in Greggs on Friday. Absolutely deeeeelightful.

Vegan too.

Win win win.

snownrock

Greggs

/end thread

frankconway

Recommended – Waitrose No1 brown butter mince pies with cognac.
    Avoid – Heston’s pear and fig mince pies in cheese pastry.
    For anyone in/near Newark – Gannets on Castlegate make their own and they are delicious.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

The overly expensive ones from Cafe Nero 😋

fazzini

😉

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Costco

revs1972
    Free Member

Greggs

twistedpencil

Fazzini wins!

Apparently the blind testing reported in the press put waitrose top followed closely by Aldi.  Tesco at the bottom of the list.

Will hit Aldi a few times in the coming weeks when I stock up on their chocolate bars…

Straightliner

Saino’s Taste the Difference frangipane mince pies. Yummy!

beamers

Greggs

I hope they do them all year round.

They are outstanding!!!!!!!!!

ton

had on in Pret. was very nice indeed. the price was offset by their 1.30 filter coffee.

fazzini

My mum has made her own sweet mince pies for as long as I’ve known. She always uses Robertsons mincemeat. Bloody lovely they are too.

MoreCashThanDash

If you are near Derby, then Croots farm shop.

I can see I may need to investigate Greggs.

peekay

Somebody bought us these as a gift a few weeks ago.

I know that Eccles cakes are a different thing to mince pies, but I will be substituting for these this year. They are quite pricey, but unbelievably good and I think worth every penny.

Sandwich

Another vote for the Waitrose No1 brown butter mince pies with cognac. Even better when reduced in price.

pk13

Aldi and lidl have been poor especially lidl.
    Coop did s shortcake pack of 2 that where fantastic not seen then for few weeks.
    Greg’s ones are nice warm if you know a friendly staff member;)

Pieface

Homemade are best but I found them really fiddly to make, may try again this year

sprootlet
    Free Member

I “enhance” shop brought mince meat with sloe gin – seems to get positive feedback (they all get eaten)

Stollen is getting made tomorrow – fingers crossed for a good one

MoreCashThanDash

So I dug out this thread to post about how great Lidls Deluxe mince pies are and saw my opening post up top.

WTF happened? Latest box has lovely shortcrust pastry, deep filled – properly filled – mincemeat. Even better than Greggs.

A box of 6 is a serving, right?

Paul-B

My wife introduced me to the M&S puff pastry mince pies. These are now firmly my favourite.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Homemade are best but I found them really fiddly to make, may try again this year

I think I might win peak STW on this one. Homemade mincemeat done a couple of months ago. Homemade Puff pastry cases shaped and then frozen and now sitting in the freezer so all that needs to happen is fill the cases and pop in the oven.

Mounty_73

I love mince pies, but I have NEVER had a Greggs…..this will now change, tomorrow!

MoreCashThanDash

I love mince pies, but I have NEVER had a Greggs…..this will now change, tomorrow!

If you can find them, there was a shortage a couple of weeks back.

rakas

Homemade to a Deliah Smith recipe or… For an out-there, nu Skool suggestion try the crumble topped chocolate orange ones from Tesco. 👌

sirromj

Bought a pack of 4 from Sainsbury’s yesterday at lunch time, the freshly made ones from their bakery section. Very good. Even had baked on leakage. Was quite restrained as managed to make them last until 11am this morning.

sirromj

I know that Eccles cakes are a different thing to mince pies, but I will be substituting for these this year. They are quite pricey, but unbelievably good and I think worth every penny.

My mum goes through obsessive phases with select foods. One year it was Eccles cakes. I was sent to Morrisons to by eight packs of four! I only felt mildly silly, had started to get used to it by then. Not for me though. Mince pies far superior.

welshfarmer

Just getting into a pack of Lidls deluxe all butter ones. They’re OK but not a patch on the 4 pack from the bakery section of Sainsburys (see Sirromj above) I had on a trip to Devon the other day. They were the real deal. Lush.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.